Cafe in Peckham Rye goes cashless

Enough of this baiting please, you made your point now please move on as it makes for very boring reading. You two should meet for a beer and thrash out your ?differences? in person.....

pk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I have agreed with Admin not to further comment

> on

> > aspects of safety in the area here on EDF.

> > I.E. Not to over emphasise the situation.

> >

> So did you admit you got it wrong in the past?

Frankito Wrote:

> Enough of this baiting please, you made your point

> now please move on as it makes for very boring

> reading.

What you mean is, you are bored. Please don't speak for everybody else!

I am not sure of the weekly/monthly charges that banks charge businesses for their card machines but I am advised that small businesses/charities cannot guarantee a set weekly income to warrant the cost of one of these machines. My hairdresser only takes cash, many small concerns used to take cheques supported by a cheque guarantee card but with the abolition of these cards, they will only accept cash. Today I paid by card in Marks and Spencers, cash in Farmers and card in Superdrug. Cash at my local newsagent, and caf?. My kids and grandchildren get cash or cheques for presents.

Apologies Sue for not being clear enough: I AM BORED...

Now can we get back to discussing the topic in question or shall I start a new Petty Betty thread in your honour...?

Sue Wrote:

> Frankito Wrote:

> -----

> > Enough of this baiting please, you made your

> point

> > now please move on as it makes for very boring

> > reading.

>

>

> What you mean is, you are bored. Please don't

> speak for everybody else!

Frankito Wrote:

>

>

> Now can we get back to discussing the topic in

> question

I?ve never understood why people say stuff like this and then don?t say anything about the topic? Having said nothing so far on it

The downside I see to these cashless operations are Charitable donations. In many shops there is often a charity donation box on or near the counter. If I purchase something and the change is small, I will put the small change in the Charity box, a cashless enterprise precludes me and others, from these small donations.

Spartacus Wrote:

> And big brother can track everything and every

> where you spend .... be afraid be very afraid

yes - I wonder if the bank speculate on my pub crawls as they show up on my app.

If I wanted to go off grid I'd use cash and a burner phone as in line of duty :)

The downside I see to these cashless operations are Charitable donations. - And indeed tips. I tend to tip change into a tips saucer for small purchases - but if I touch in a card, nada. Actually I prefer non-tipping societies (Japan, Iceland) - but that means you have to pay serving staff properly. With increased prices at the till.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> The downside I see to these cashless operations

> are Charitable donations. - And indeed tips. I

> tend to tip change into a tips saucer for small

> purchases - but if I touch in a card, nada.

> Actually I prefer non-tipping societies (Japan,

> Iceland) - but that means you have to pay serving

> staff properly. With increased prices at the till.

When my card is declined every so often they give me the reader again and it starts with an optional tip.

Most bar staff are pressing no tip before they give it to you at present.

Frankito Wrote:

> Apologies Sue for not being clear enough: I AM

> BORED...

>

> Now can we get back to discussing the topic in

> question or shall I start a new Petty Betty thread

> in your honour...?

Crikey. You really are bored, aren't you :))

This is quite an interesting thread, if you wanted to join in the on topic discussion :))

siousxiesue Wrote:

> For those people disturbed enough at this

> exclusionist behaviour at what is a 'community'

> asset I have been advised to approach the council

> member for Parks and also equalities, Cllr Rebecca

> Lury.

>

> [email protected]

Feel free to contact her if you are against this move to cashless. At the moment it's just Peckham Rye but they admit it will be all branches soon

If you're someone (like me) who has a bank account, a regular salary or pension and who doesn't think much about buying a coffee on the way to work every day, this undoubtedly seems like a great, convenient idea.

However, alongside of the practical issues for the elderly or people who don't work through illness - it's the overall signal this sends which I am uncomfortable with. Going cashless signals to people who rely on cash, and are almost certainly economically vulnerable, that "their kind" aren't welcome to share these spaces. Put yourself in the position of a parent who doesn't have any spare cash, and for whom a once a week treat for their kids at the park cafe is the single luxury they allow themselves to keep within budget - there are plenty of people for whom this is a day to day reality. I count myself incredibly fortunate that I'm not one of them, but it's totally wrong to ignore that in the name of convenience.

This move basically tells anyone who is unbanked that they are not as welcome to use our public spaces and council run amenities, when they are exactly the kind of people who need the support most. In the US, a few cities have enacted laws that prevent restaurants from going cashless for exactly this reason. https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/03/cashless-cash-free-ban-bill-new-york-retail-discrimination/584203

Siduhe Wrote:

> Put yourself in the position of a parent who doesn't have any spare

> cash, and for whom a once a week treat for their

> kids at the park cafe is the single luxury they

> allow themselves to keep within budget - there are

> plenty of people for whom this is a day to day

> reality.

You?ve got no idea whether people choose their single luxury to be a treat in the cafe at the park, seems unlikely to me

I think that suggesting that a cafe going cashless is socially exclusive is much less valid than the suggestion that a cafe that charges so much is exclusive

If the aim is to ensure accessibility, surely price should be the top issue?

You're right - I don't have a specific example, but I work with organisations that are focused on financial inclusion and particularly supporting the unbanked, so I think I have a better understanding that most people in my (fortunate) position do about some of the choices that it drives.

Completely agree with you on price - I don't use the cafe so can't comment on that directly but I do think that council controlled facilities should be run in a way to make them available to the majority.

There are two things here

1. Taking away the choice from the consumer who may vote with their feet

2. Some people give themselves a spending limit per day / week / month which is easier to track with cash as once it's gone you can't spend anymore but with card unless you check your balance carefully you can easily overspend

It's all about serving the customer not the business as the old adage of "the customer is always right" seems to have been forgotten by so many businesses

I can't believe that people are stating that costs for card machines are prohibitive for cafes. They range in cost from ?15 through to ?75 and are hooked up via your wifi / mobile phone etc. This isn't a heavy cost for cafes or shops that decide to use one.

This isn't a heavy cost for cafes or shops that decide to use one.

Moving to cashless is in the bank' best interests, they don't have to handle cash (which has costs) and accounting is electronic. Banks should be offering machines virtually for free, considering the operational value to them of so doing, and particularly where debit or cash cards (credit risk-free) are concerned. Small enterprises run on small margins (often) - anything eating into that margin surely is unwelcome. However, cash handling has operational costs (and risks) for small enterprises, hence their many moving into cashless only (but some also offer cash only transactions - presumably each outlet is making its best estimate of cost efficiency).

tallulah71 Wrote:

> Agree with Frankito: DF-baiting is boring and

off-topic

Where am I baiting. ?? I am merely stating how I prefer do my shopping/buying.

I prefer cash . I find it easier to keep track of my spending.

The Topic of this thread is 'Cafe in Peckham Rye goes cashless'

Talking about not liking that idea and not liking being forced into carrying and using cards is Way ON topic.

Fox.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> tallulah71 Wrote:

> -----

> > Agree with Frankito: DF-baiting is boring and

> off-topic

>

> Where am I baiting. ?? I am merely stating how I

> prefer do my shopping/buying.

> I prefer cash . I find it easier to keep track of

> my spending.

>

> The Topic of this thread is 'Cafe in Peckham Rye

> goes cashless'

> Talking about not liking that idea and not liking

> being forced into carrying and using cards is Way

> ON topic.

>

> Fox.

I think they?re defending you against evil me

DulwichFox Wrote:

> tallulah71 Wrote:

> -----

> > Agree with Frankito: DF-baiting is boring and

> off-topic

>

> Where am I baiting. ?? I am merely stating how I

> prefer do my shopping/buying.

> I prefer cash . I find it easier to keep track of

> my spending.

>

> The Topic of this thread is 'Cafe in Peckham Rye

> goes cashless'

> Talking about not liking that idea and not liking

> being forced into carrying and using cards is Way

> ON topic.

>

> Fox.

Get with the programme DF. You've slated Peckham on many an occasion and never seem to step out of your immediate environs to maybe get a wider perspective. You are continually being called out on it and always claim amnesia.