Phil and Teds double buggy advice please

Fmm

I tried both at peppermint in clapham juntion - phone first to check they've got them both in. I then bought from JL as the raincover was a tenner cheaper. They had the Dot in mothercare in lewisham last week, not sure about the navigator. Also the pram shop in Peckham did say it would be stocking them so may have some to try. I used my cameleon with buggy board for first 7 months as my babies were so comfy in the carrycot for over 5 months and I really like it generally as a pram. But I realised I would need a double buggy when I go back to work for the nursery runs so I decided to buy the double buggy now to get lots of use out of it. I have ended up selling the cameleon as I have no need for it with this double.

SB - Just out of interest, what buggies have you currently got in your catalogue?

I'm thinking that yes, the chameleon will have to go away.... it's too big to have both that and a double and two kids in the sitting room!

So, I was thinking, I had initially thought of being able to use the single with buggy board or baby in sling combos for shorter journeys and then the double for bigger outings but realistically that isn't going to work with something that doesn't fold down really small and can fit perhaps in the boot or somewhere else I can find to stash it

but at the same time, we will go back to a time when we need a single buggy again, when C is old enough so it would be good to have something we can use then, I'm not convinced that a p&t in singles mode is what I'm going to want to use...

Oh and I looked up the Icandy and oyster max but don't like either... hopefully makes the decision easier!

Did you find the dot anywhere mrs f? I read on a fb page that it was so small someone couldn't fit theit 20m old in it!! I think she may have been exaggerating but still...def made me think try before you buy!

Ah my buggy collection! Well I still find having a double useful even with eldest at 3.5 - we went out for the day on saturday and it was great for him to be able to hop in and out of the bottom of the phil and teds verve when he got tired of walking. I loathe buggy boards - I just find them totally annoying and eldest doesn't even stay on them! I am trying to rationalise now the boys are older and am currently trying to sell out Mountain Buggy duet side by side as that really is surplus to requirements but it was great when I had a 4m and 26m old as both could sleep/do their own thing. I have sold my bee plus which I loved for the nursery run from car park down lane to nursery in the early days as was so easy to have in the boot and clip car seat onto, I'm also trying to sell my mountain buggy single which I love but don't need!! I still also have a trusty maclaren for small fold car journey type times.

What am I going to do when I don't need prams any more?!?

Hey SB, we actually saw one today, although we didn't have the rampaging toddler with us so couldn't test the seat but I did like it, I can imagine the little one will be in the back seat more often.... The back seat is fairly small

I agree tho there isn't any buggy that will ever do it all

I think the navigator is as narrow as the dot. The dot is 2cm shorter, I think, because of the smaller wheels. For some reason my 3yr old is fine in the back seat of the navigator but looked (and felt) much more cramped in the back seat of the dot. I agree about buying the buggy that works for you right now. I struggled without a double buggy, determined to make do with my bugaboo/ sling/ buggy board combo, but had one too many day trips where I'd do my back in having to carry a 2.5yr old for miles because baby was in buggy and toddler had a stand off about the buggy board. Now I can't imagine not having the P&T - and we get places on time much more often!

Niether of the shops we went into had the navigator, I still really want to see it, and compare to the Dot FMM... that 2m in length isn't a big deal to me really... but if the seats are better it's prob worth the extra ??. I'd love to see them side by side, hopefully I'll find somewhere in the next few months as i have a little time.

SB, Seriously, come back to ED, open a buggy shop, just sell buggies & accessories, like a bike shop, and have a good range, with your knowledge you would do a roaring trade round here and I wouldn't have to trek elsewhere to try and see a glimpse of a buggy!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone prefers the Phil & Ted Navigator over the Vibe 2?? I have a 2 yr old and newborn so a double is a must.. My main concerns are the fold ease, reclining seats and tires? Any advice would be heplful..not sure if the vibe 2 is worth the extra money.

I tried out a Navigator and a Vibe but not sure if it was the Vibe 2. I bought a Navigator which I still love (children now 3 and 1). I use it every day. It is easy to fold and feels lighter than the Explorer and the Vibe (the only other P&T's I tried) when hauling it into the car boot, maybe because it is more compact. Both seats recline, it's a bit like bunk beds when they're both sleeping in it! I have had to pump the tyres once in about 8 months (bike shop did it for free), they weren't flat it just wasn't handling as well.

There are absolutely no problems with the size of the main seat, it is normal full size. The back/ second seat is fine for my big 14 month old, with a cosytoes in taking up room. That said, I'm not sure we'll be able to fit a cosytoes in by next winter when he is nearly 2; however he should fit in it no problem without a cosytoes given my 3.5 year old still fits in with a cosytoes (in fact, often demands to go in there, 'the den'). She is small though. I don't use the hood on the second seat, so i'm not sure about the length problems. I found the hood annoying as it would not stay back like the explorer one, I guess you could clip it back but I just took it off instead. I guess the bigger problem might be with the max weights - the second seat has a max of 15kg, I think the Vibe might be 20kg? The main seat on both is 20kg I think. My 3 year old is still only 12/13kg so this would not be a problem for us were she the younger one (and I would hope that by the time the younger one is 3, the older one will not be in the buggy at 5, so I will only be using the main seat) but I guess if one has a bigger second child they may get too heavy for it sooner, but I wouldnt imagine before he/she's 3ish?