Beggars in Lordship Lane

How do you tell a druggie/drinker from someone who is 'merely' in pain, drugged up to the eyeballs to unsucessfully control the pain of a debilitating condition like arthritis, not sleeping well because of pain or not mobile enough to buy and cook the fresh fruit and veg to give a healthy diet? Did you know arthritis and other illnesses/ conditions can lead to insomnia, depression and poor diet?

On the other hand, I've witnessed many professionals blow their disposable income on as many drugs as it will buy every weekend, and but for them being a little tired on a Monday morning, you'd never know.

We have to be very careful about making assumptions about people we know very little or nothing about.

Please don't give money to beggers, give money to homeless charities instead. Giving to beggers only encourages them to beg more, makes the area look scruffy and (in my biased view) is more likely to be mis-spent. I used to live near Borough High Street and it always has druggy/boozy looking tramps and beggers on it which makes the place seem very unsafe - many of those in Borough are pissed out of their skulls and/or in and out of the bookies.

If you want to help the homeless then please please please give to the homeless charities and maybe suggest to the ones you see that they should seek the help of charities.

I will not give to beggers. These people are not homeless. They are not starving. They have just seen the area as an opportunity. Giving money encourages other opportunists to the area, which is not good. I feel uneasy walking down the road with people begging. You want to make a difference? Visit the shelter or homeless uk websites and see what support and volunteering work you can take part in. A pound her will result in a bottle of strong bow or a fag! Not a meal.

Go to the centre of london at night. See what a real homeless person looks like. You will soon see the difference.

One the way home yesterday, I saw a male begger standing next to the cash point beside Co-op. Imagine that is you, alone, taking money out. How intimidated would you feel?

If they were not being given money they would not be here - simple as. East Dulwich is going down. Will you help keep it afloat or support its desent?

Surely there must be a line drawn between begging and being homeless? Semantically, at least. Begging is such a perjorative term.

We are all at risk of homelessness one way or another in these financially risky days, and goodness knows if i didn't get housing benefit and income support at the age of 17, it could have been me. I tend to gravitate towards big issue sellers, and also give away lots of tobacco and buy extra coffees etc to homeless people. And yes, I do sometimes give money to people, depending on them and their situation. And how much I have.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dame Dulwich Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> East Dulwich is going down.

> > Will you help keep it afloat or support its

> > desent?

>

>

> Er, WTF?

I would support its dissent.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All these people who favour giving to homeless

> charity I wonder how much they actually give

xxxxxxx

You can sponsor a room at Centrepoint for only ?12 a month - the Goose has done that for several years, but we have recently changed our sponsorship to a charity more directly related to what we do (music).

Centrepoint works with homeless young people - find out more here:

http://www.centrepoint.org.uk/what-you-can-do/donate

I thought someone sitting next to a cashpoint asking for money, preferably with a dog, signalled the completion of gentrification process?

Think of what a few well-placed beggars could do for house prices.