Coaches ,Townley Road ,obstruction ,pollution when will it change ?

I don?t think the parents care two hoots about our local problem. They live miles away and it?s convenient for them to have children out of the house by 7.30.

It?s all about entitlement and privilege.

If we could get say 10 cars to do an hour every day it would create chaos.

But that is what?s needed before change comes.

A. I may have passed you - no lines on the school side of the road. My plan could work. 2 community officers available to give out tickets but they don?t seem to be moving from one spot. While a red coach blocks the road near the Dovercourt Townley junction.

It seems odd to have community wardens dealing with what are traffic offences .I wonder why they are there and not Traffic Wardens ,or even police support officers .

I think the community officers can only warn drivers and then "if necessary" pass the details on for a penalty notice . Some of the coach drivers seem unworried by their presence ,I almost feel it's a question of them running their engines until asked to stop .

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Itatm I may have got the job title wrong not

> police officers but officials with red waistcoats.

> Maybe they are traffic wardens

They might be "monitoring officers" or suchlike from Alleyn's. I know they had a couple of (presumably contracted) staff in a while ago "keeping an eye on things".

Which probably means that if you have an argument with a driver about idling engines, you'll find your picture being circulated to the police...

No not the Alleyns people they wear yellow fluorescent jackets. The police are more interested in people were breaking the law. The police are more interested in people were breaking the law ie The drivers and those that instruct them to park illegally with their engines running.

Hi All

Really interesting to understand more about the strength of feeling locally about the coach parking.

We set up the ?Clean Air for Dulwich? group as a local grassroots campaign working hard to raise awareness and bring about changes which will reduce air pollution in the area. We?re a relatively new group and have been using social media channels (twitter, Instagram and a Facebook page ? all @CleanAirDulwich) to raise awareness of issues locally and to gather support for positive change.

We?ve also been using these social media channels to raise awareness of Southwark Council?s ?Our Healthy Streets? consultation for Dulwich Village, and one of the focus areas of this consultation is specifically looking at how to address the issues on Townley Road. For people who haven?t yet responded, the response form is now online and this phase of consultation closes on the 23rd November and is a chance to look at options that could result in real change.

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/ohsdulwichphase2/

Please follow us on social media, email to join our mailing list at [email protected] so that we can work together to make positive changes.

Kind regards

Clean Air for Dulwich

No- it isn?t, it?s just been set up in a way that picked out some key junctions and the issues ?around? them. It wasn?t intended to only focus on them though. Think for people who couldn?t make the workshops it can be a bit more tricky to unpick, but in summary fill in the consultation and comment if possible. Thanks!

I did go to 2 workshops - one at the library and one at Christchurch at top of Barry Rd ,I didn't attend the Dulwich Village ones because I wasn't aware of them .And I only knew about the one at top of Barry Rd because I got an email from a councillor who I'd spoken to personally .

It seems such an odd consultation ,and really it shouldn't be difficult to unpick because you haven't been to a workshop .

Can someone tell me, after the coaches have dropped kids in the morning at JAGS/Alleyn's, how they turn round to get back to Dulwich Village where they turn after being in East Dulwich Grove? And how others go onwards from this drop off? Where do they go? Surely they are not parked in Townley all day - or are they?

I've been searching ( without success) on Dulwich Society because I'm sure I saw some info on what's happening re the LordshipLane/South Circular crossing issue .

I don't really do Twitter and all that stuff so I was surprised to see all the organisations all interested in pollution/congestion etc .

https://twitter.com/CleanAirDulwich/status/1197810078201647104

I see the clean air group have asked the police to intervene re Townley Rd - or more specifically and narrowly the Calton Ave junction with .

So I can see that this thread is redundant .

And this http://dulwichsaferoutes.blogspot.com/p/school-initiatives.html indicates that all Alleyns sites have been awarded a TfL Gold Star award .Which involves

"Gold

Be among the top 10% of London schools, setting high standards to inspire others to transform travel habits, fully engage the wider community to promote best practices, and see a measurable reduction in the number of journeys made by car every day.

What you need to do

Within three academic years complete 25 different travel activities, 15 supporting activities and 8 consultation activities

Provide evidence for each activity completed

Demonstrate at least a 6% modal shift away from the car or at least 90% of pupils travelling actively"

so the coach situation is obviously not only fine but recognised as a good thing .

So I'm off to put my head in a bucket of water .

It's clearly true that transporting children by coach rather than by multiple private car journeys is a positive move - the problem is not with the children being moved in the coaches, but by the coaches blocking streets and polluting (through running their engines whilst stationary) when the children aren't in them!

Maye someone needs to contact TfL with this specific issue (management of coaches when they are not doing their job, but are waiting to do it) so they can reconsider their award scheme.

And if I was a current Alleyn's parent I wouldn't be happy that my children are being asked to breath in diesel fumes being pumped out round their school. They may as well be on a main road as a leafy suburban street.

I do understand the one coach v. lots of cars ,though when I've seen coaches driving off they have v. few passengers .Possibly picking up at Townley and then off to other schools ?

The need to soak my head is prompted more by the plethora of groups all considering similar issues but this glaring aberration persisting plus the narrow vision of some eg focussing on Calton Road .

Plus the clear breeches of law by some drivers of coaches and the apparent lack of will by the authorities to address this .