Coaches ,Townley Road ,obstruction ,pollution when will it change ?

Although it could be argued some routes are unnecessary and could be done via public transport or cycling instead.

This 2016 comprehensive report states ?The majority of pupils using the coach service, some 65%, are transported less than four miles?

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/quietway-in-dulwich/supporting_documents/2016_Dulwich%20Coach%20Service%20Study_published.pdf

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> London state secondaries are now so good that

> private schools are having to trawl further to

> fill.

Yes unlike when Harriet Harman felt the need to send her son to St. Olaves Boys Grammar in Orpington around 1995...

@Alice, I don't think the strength of state schools is why Alleyn's takes pupils from across London. I think, like St Paul's or other similar top tier schools, Alleyn's finds this to be the most effective way of finding the most academically capable students which will keep its place at or near the top of the A-levels league tables.

I see a lot of comments attributing the lack of local children attending these schools to the improvement in state schools locally. Whilst its certainly true there has been huge improvement and that prior to Charter North being opened, a significant number of local children may have gone to private secondary schools, I don't think this is the full picture.

Alleyns, JAGS and DC are very well renown schools. If you look at their annual fees now compared to 20 years ago its clear that they have been able to increase fees significantly in excess of inflation year on year (whilst keeping scholarships fixed at a static level as an absolute ? level rather than % of fees). Add to that the increased burden of housing cost for local families (again comparing housing costs locally now vs 20 years ago) and you can see why Alleyn's, JAGS, Dulwich College etc have fewer and fewer local children attending.

Whereas 20 years ago, reasonably well off middle class families could afford the fees with a few sacrifices, now such schools are becoming the preserve of the very wealthy (plus those kids eligible for bursaries - so essentially a polarised intake. Therefore its hardly surprising that the net for these schools is cast more widely. There is also the fact that given their reputations, there is high competition despite the points outlined above.

All of this said though - it is not clear why the Foundation schools need to continue to thrive economically should be more relevant than local residents quality of life. By all means cast the net for pupils widely, expand if you wish - but in doing so there is an associated level of social responsibility. JAGS and Alleyn's currently claim that 'they can't do anything more' to encourage parents to switch off engines whilst waiting, stop parking in cycle lanes, on double yellow lines or on zig zags. Instead they are requesting more enforcement by Southwark Council - enforcement which is paid for by those of us living in the borough and not those attending the schools. This is exactly the type of issue they should be tackling head on, by educating their pupils on the issues, by patrolling the roads outside their schools and asking parents to switch off engines, not park illegally etc as well as going much further to address the impact on air pollution and road danger that they bring to our area, rather than pushing this off onto external bodies.

goldilocks, you are totally wrong about Alleyn's in terms of bursaries. It offers 100% bursaries now - more than it ever has, in fact - and also additional help to children whose parents can't afford the extras - like uniform, sports kit and so on. They even provide 100% support if a student on a 100% bursary wishes to go on a school trip.

Regardless of the reasons for the change in demographic, we believe that its important that the schools work to mitigate their effect on the local environment. We set up our group to push for more action on this both by the schools and from Southwark council to make sure that change happens and our air quality improves. As noted there are lots of things that could be done so ensuring local pressure is applied is the best approach to achieving this.

alice asked: So is it setting its entry requirements higher than previously?

Only in the sense that more applicants tend to mean more ability to select. So, could mean a higher academic intake. But there are no set standards. You offer places to the best people (however measured) that apply. If only 120 applied, then they'd all get in I imagine.

Having read the Dulwich Foundation Schools'Coach Service study v v few of the "lots of options " seem to be acceptable .

Yes the routes have been changed so that Calton Ave is no longer driven down but others( parking/more parking on school site/ using third party venues for parking,alterations to Townley Road ) either seem to be dismissed or deemed unfeasible /too expensive/dependent on Southwark's approval resources or are v vague "managing travel demand "

I'm afraid I'm not 'totally wrong' as I talked about scholarships - I also went on to clarify my point.

Scholarships are awarded for academic ability and are at a fixed rate - bursaries are awarded separately for those who could benefit from Alleyns education but are financially excluded. In fact you'll see I clearly commented on this on my second para.

I'm aware that the means tested bursaries exist, i also think that for many families locally, their household income exceeds the bursary level but perhaps would struggle with the full fees, so i stand by my comments.

Finally - do you think that you could try to be more polite in your messages please - perhaps you could imagine you were talking to a person face to face? its something that would improve the quality of discussion on here!

I wonder if bursaries come out of Scheme of Management funds that everyone living on Dulwich Estate have to pay?

Anyway back to the point, no coaches but there are far too many cars driving up Calton Ave now with just the driver in them. That is what we should be targeting. Where are they going or have just been? Then we might get some pointers on how to stop the wretched pollution hitting our children as they walk through the fug.