Driving in France this summer

Ruchabo

There's been loads of coverage recently about the new law in France requiring drivers to carry a single use breathalyser with them while driving in France. In reality the law won't be enforced until 1 Nov and only carries a 11 euro fine.

What hasn't received nearly as much coverage, is that it's illegal to have a Satnav that can detect speed cameras. even if the Satnav's not currently in use. Fine : 1,500 euros!

So, if you have one of these you should get the speed camera detection bit disabled, or else....

There's more about this on any of the big motoring sites.

Last year I got one, 90 euro, on the spot fine and got flashed by speed cameras 3 times. Luckily did not hear more on the speed cameras.

this i blame on buying a new car which had a built in sat nav. The stick on tom tom I had in previous years on the old car always told me where the cameras were. Boo.

Missing the point here...the French are removing all their signs telling you where their speed traps are (fair enough) and installing many more, to try to reduce their 500+ road deaths per year. That's only part of the package..the other is that they are increasing spot checks to make sure people have their reflective jackets, warning triangles etc, and these will include checking on any Satnav you may have in the car. And they say they're going to be much aggressive in the amount of checks they'll be undertaking. So you can be tootling along the autoroute at an entirely legitimate 110Km and be pulled over for a spot check. And if your Satnav isn't disabled and is on default to speedcam checks, as many are, you're liable for a fine of up to 1,500 euros.

So possession is enough, regardless of your speed. And it's a helluva fine.

what a bizarre Q.

Someone who drives in France fairly frequently and who's been spot checked twice. Re the info...it's only a heads up...take it or leave it.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And as for you Ruchabo... WTFAY ?

Erm, sorry if I appear to be missing the point. I guess someone who has been flashed by three speed cameras and stopped once for speeding doesn't need to slow down at all, honestly, what was I thinking. Bloody French.