great day trips from London for kids

don't even think about it, Lollibop is just dreadful, badly organised with not enough things for thousands of kids that turn up, like 1 trampoline or 3 circus jumping stations, queues were for an 1-2 hours. There was Peppa Pig last time walking around in a fenced enclosure probably 5 x 5 m with all the kids outside that fence, That was it. they also had Charlie and Lola performance but we didn't go there as our daughter was not happy and we just wanted to get out of there asap. Food was not good, and had to queue for that too for at least half hour. we decided to write down the cost of 3 tickets and went to a playground right outside the gates where our daughter finally had a fantastic time and that was for free. never again.

Last year it was definitely not worth it, lots of stalls with people basically advertising, not enough to do for the kids, long wait to see anything interesting, expensive food and drink again with long queues. I will not be going again. There was a thread on here last summer about it and I don't think I was the only one who thought it was a waste of money.

just to say that anyone thinking of going out to hall place its really nice to stop off at oxlea's wood on the way home. Take the road back through welling and look out for the sign for Cafe on the left at the peak of shooters hill just before the hospital. lovely downward sweeping grass bank and we tend to then go into the wood on the right of the cafe as your walking towards the grass bank it has little bits of overflow garden from the hospital there. We managed to get a bit lost which only added to the kids enjoyment.

Going to try Hall place today after all your fab recommendations! There's also a farmers' market on there (10-2) today - what's not to love? :)

(Only wish we'd known about this in time to book for Fairy School - but there's always next time!)

Had a lovely day at Hall Place and think we'll have many more even after the visiting 'House of Fairy Tales' exhibition has left.

Thanks for the recommends!

The reception people commented on the marked increase in ED visitors. Oh the fab power of the forum :)

I know lots of people have slated lollibop festival. But I really enjoyed it last year. Wasn't going to go this year as the ticket price went up to ?25 I thought that was pretty expensive. But littlebird have tickets half price so 12.50pp or family tickets ?46. I decided to book for my little girl. Also if you check the fb page it does say they have made improvements as they were lots of complaints last yr. so I think instead of 1 face paint tent there will be 3 dotted round the park. I also think it said that they have taken away the trampoline and replaced it with an activity, which to me makes more sence. Hope the weather hold up for me

Vanessa

Thank you for all these tips!

gebbjane, I just looked and the Hall Place/House of Fairy Tales thing seems to be fairly accessible by train. Bexley station is 30 mins from Charing Cross and it says a 15 min walk from there, or taxis at the station.

I'm going to try either this or the seashore next week, weather depending. Thanks again!

This is a great thread.

My pair are far too young for it, but me and Mrs 5 visited Downe House before we had kids. It's lovely in the summer - nice gardens, some beautiful walks, and all backed by the awesomeness of Darwin.

Inside there's a museum with a few interactive bits...prob good for >6yo I'd have thought.

Another thumbs up for Hall Place. Thanks Pickle!

I took my 2 sons age 8 and 5 and we just did the trail round the gardens which they really enjoyed. It took a couple of hours to go round. We also had lunch in the cafe - not cheap so I would try and be more organised and bring sandwiches next time. It is a really lovely cafe though and the soup I had even came with a cheese and herb scone - very posh!

The gardens are beautiful. I'll take my mum next time she is here.

So we are going back there again soon to go round the hall and complete the trail we started.

Got back home in about 40 mins so very convenient.

We're off to Hall Place / House of Fairy Tales tomorrow afternoon on the back of these recommendations. We're then carrying on down to Rye to see family for the weekend, so won't have a huge amount of time to spend at Hall Place - probably 4pm til 5pm. Do you think it's still worth buying the ticket or will there be enough to see in the gardens to occupy us for an hour? Any advice from those that have visited would be much appreciated!

We went to Hall Place today it was great. There is quite a lot just in the gardens- you can get a map and follow a trail looking for clues. There is a glasshouse with fish and terrapins- a herb garden -ducks- Lovely cafe. It's a great find!

We went to Hall Place today. The house and gardens are really lovely and we had a good time with not too long a drive to get there. The exhibition was rather disappointing for us with 2 x 2 year olds and so perhaps not great for this age. Several of the spinning and other exhibits had broken as they're 4 months into the exhibition and as it's very interactive in nature, it's been manhandled by a multitude of children. It looked great for much older kids though.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thank you to Pickle for bringing Hall Place to our attention, the house of fairy tales has been extended to Friday but the (free) gardens alone make the trip more than worthwhile and the cafe is v.g. Will go back. Oh and bumped into some E.D friends when we were there!

The Enchanted Forest in Groombridge is on my autumn , anyone been?