favourite pub in east dulwich (Lounged)

greatallgreat

Now guys, Louisa does have a fair point. We all know deep down that wanting to live in a place where the streets aren?t paved in dog shit and the pubs aren?t violent dives with cracked windows is not society trying to better itself but rather a contrived plot to persecute her.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now guys, Louisa does have a fair point. We all

> know deep down that wanting to live in a place

> where the streets aren?t paved in dog shit and the

> pubs aren?t violent dives with cracked windows is

> not society trying to better itself but rather a

> contrived plot to persecute her.

xxxxxx

:)):)):))

With all that's said about the Palmerston and Franklins, I really enjoy drinking in both of them and never feel uncomfortable or that i'm getting in the way of diners. I quite often spend lazy, post-shopping, saturday afternoons/ early evenings over a few pints and the papers, and sometimes a plate of black pudding on toast (no rocket though! (6) )

Just before new year i was having a drink with several friends in the palmerston and we were made very welcome by the manager, he found us a large table for our group, despite making it very clear that we had no intention of eating there.

I can't remember which famous poncey foodie said it but the mark of a good "gastropub" (i hate that word) is that you will not be sniffed at for popping in for drinks only. IME both venues pass the test on that criteria.

I know jimbo, just angling for a freebie. In my view Franklins can do little wrong.

But it's not a pub. I will pop in for a glass of wine or even a pint with papers, but it's still not a pub

And the Palmerston has occasionally gone out of its way to make me feeling uncomfortable for mistaking it for a pub.

I ended up banning myself from there, which is a pity as I hear the food is actually really rather good.

I agree with you mockers, The Palmerston is definitely NOT a pub, I've stood up at the bar before and felt like I was waiting for a table. Franklins on the other hand is OK to pop into for a pint. I went in there yesterday at about 6:30, sat down, pint, read the paper, fine. Admittedly I didn't the sofa which was a bit annoying, but it was fine. They also do a cup of builders tea if you ask them, which is something I am desperate for the CPT to do.

oh bring back the days when the Palmerston had a fab reputation. Unfortunately I never got to experience it for being "underage". It used to be big for sports, in particular footie. U never needed to watch it on the telly when you could hear those in the Palmerston "ahhhh", "ooooooh" "boooooooo" and "yaaaaay!" and relevent places in the match *sighs*

In my opinion, the only pub which has got worse is the Mag... I used to like the quiz and the comedy there, and despite the tatty decor, you used to get a good crowd in there. Maybe I'm just biased because I don't like football/rugby/cricket.

"oh bring back the days when the Palmerston had a fab reputation"

Yes it was a good pub. But now it's also a good restaurant. reputation intact on both accounts.

TBH I think we're really lucky to live in ED with the selection in and around the area to suit most tastes and wallets.

Only thing missing would be a real country pub with low beam ceilings, antique farm tools, horse brasses and proper farmhouse fare.

Perhaps we should redevelop the CPT (Country-Peckham-Tavern) and supply it with vegetables grown on the nearby allotments and local livestock from CWALD's back garden.

jke Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with you mockers, The Palmerston is

> definitely NOT a pub, .

> Franklins on the other hand is OK to pop into for

> a pint. I went in there yesterday at about 6:30,

> sat down, pint, read the paper, fine. Admittedly I

> didn't the sofa which was a bit annoying, but it

> was fine. They also do a cup of builders tea if

> you ask them, which is something I am desperate

> for the CPT to do.

???

"The Palmerston is NOT a pub"

Last time I looked they had draft beers, hand pumped real ale, a bar where you can go for drinks, banquet seating, traditional pub furniture, you can go just for a drink, beautiful original wood panelling... if its NOT a pub jke, what is it? (Don't say its a restaurant just cos it serves food and doesn't have gaming machines / Sky Sports - its a gastro pub. Might not be to everyone's taste - but a pub is what it most definitely is)

"I've stood up at the bar

before and felt like I was waiting for a table"

Were you waiting for a table? Can't you relax standing at a bar? I don't geddit...

"Franklins on the other hand is OK to pop into for

> a pint. I went in there yesterday at about 6:30,

> sat down, pint, read the paper, fine."

So, thats a pub then? I've done the same at the Palmerston...

"They also do a cup of builders tea if

> you ask them, which is something I am desperate

> for the CPT to do"

Hold on a minute... are we confusing pubs with Greasy Spoon Cafes here?

The Palmerston is great... not the best pub in the world - but a gem to have on our doorstep. A PROPER gastro pub with a decent, imaginative menu... most pubs refer to themselves as "gastro" if they knock together a steak sandwich or gourmet bangers & mash... but the Palmerston is what a good gastro pub should be. Excellent but homely food in proper pub surroundings.

Might just pop in for lunch now!

(Or just a pint)

not sure why anyone would dismiss the Palmerston as Crap. As a pub it's possible to have a few beers still but I can see why for many people it doesn't work any more

But as a place to eat good food (as in food you don't cook at home normally and the stuff that you would is of a very hight quality) and drink I would say it's well up there