LTN: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3

bobbsy

Interesting note from the Turney and Burbage Roads RA that met with their councillors recently.

OHSD (Our Healthy Streets Dulwich)is not formally dead but is suspended with very little likelihood of it being resurrected in the future. TfL do not have any funds for it.

The Council is looking at about a 50million deficit because of the impact of Covid19 on revenue and costs. Therefore there is little Council money available for investment in OHSD

What is on offer is some money from Central Government for Covid related experimental measures, a total of ?225million across all local authorities on a spend it or lose it deal.

There is more money coming in September under the scheme. This is when further announcements will be made. However the decisions will be made before. The decisions are made by Richard Livingstone, Cabinet member for Environment, Transport and the Climate Emergency, in consultation with our Local Councillors, Margy Newens and Richard Leeming.

(Note this article is aimed at people in Village Ward)

The scheme is for social distancing, active travel and safer environments. Southwark are looking at interventions that cover these criteria but also include pollution reduction.

The interventions are under the Emergency Traffic Act and can last up to 18 months and if they are to be made permanent a consultation process has to be carried out. Any intervention can be removed sooner if it is clear that it is unsafe.

Link to complete article.

https://turneyandburbage.org.uk/category/environment/

I think the most interesting read in that document (from the feb 4 post) is that the council actually has long-term ambitions to close Dulwich Village to all vehicular access northbound from the roundabout at College Road and Gallery Road....

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do we think children will also start arriving in

> coaches to Charter?

No, just Alleyn's, the College and Jags use coaches in to the Village area.

My understanding is that the underlying justification is it reduce vehicular pollution.

Without doubt, the vehicles causing most pollution are those on short journeys where the engine and catalyser have not reached optimum temperature. This means local traffic - in particular the school run, with yummy mummies taking their kids to and from school, are the biggest polluters.

In this technological age it is extremely easy to set up an ANPR monitored system in the area concerned. One could make it entirely free for 100% electric vehicles and a progressive charge thereafter depending on pollution rating.

It could even be fine tuned to vary the charge depending on the time of day. In fact it could be fine tuned in a whole number of ways - e.g. by local residents postcode to give exemption.

Very pleased to have found the One Dulwich website- I have just signed up and would encourage anyone that lives in East Dulwich to sign up for news too.

Make no mistake- you will be adversely affected by these road closures. Either by having to sit in traffic to get anywhere west of SE22 or by having to breath in the fumes of the traffic that is queuing to get onto the South Circular or East Dulwich Grove if they can no longer drive through Dulwich Village.

Show your support by signing up too- www.onedulwich.uk

Its a shame that there are two threads on here about the same thing as I think the call to action is a bit diluted...

Has anyone been able to erect banners with the One Dulwich website details anywhere yet, as I think that will encourage people to sign up too...?

We need to make this visible whilst people are furloughed/schools are closed as the full horrors of this traffic displacement won't be clear until September.

At which point I am sure Southwark will have claimed it as a victory & it will become permanent

Plough Man Wrote:

> My understanding is that the underlying

> justification is it reduce vehicular pollution.

>

> Without doubt, the vehicles causing most pollution

> are those on short journeys where the engine and

> catalyser have not reached optimum temperature.

> This means local traffic - in particular the

> school run, with yummy mummies taking their kids

> to and from school, are the biggest polluters.

>

> In this technological age it is extremely easy to

> set up an ANPR monitored system in the area

> concerned. One could make it entirely free for

> 100% electric vehicles and a progressive charge

> thereafter depending on pollution rating.

>

> It could even be fine tuned to vary the charge

> depending on the time of day. In fact it could be

> fine tuned in a whole number of ways - e.g. by

> local residents postcode to give exemption.

TfL and Southwark have no money for tech solutions.

I cycled from East Dulwich to Dulwich Village Infants School then back to East Dulwich Charter School this morning to drop off both my children. I was cycling between 8.30 and 9.30 and the traffic was fine - it wasn?t backed up or congested. Townley Road didn?t have much queuing traffic and neither did Dulwich Village. It was a pleasant experience and it certainly felt safer as a cyclist.

I cycled back home along Melbourne Grove - again this seems to have settled down and it was an enjoyable and calm cycle along the road.

Rockets Wrote:

> But they do have money to install new pavement

> paving slabs in parts of the area - the latest

> being Overhill Road....makes you wonder if there

> is a Trojan horse at play here....

Allocated funds.

Please be aware that the "One Dulwich" group should be re-named as "one bit of Dulwich" they are not representative and appear to be a select group who are against change. Changes can never appease everyone, but the road closures (temp) in the village are a great step towards cutting down pollution and making the roads safer for cyclists and pedestrians. These changes have been requested for years and it is at long last they have been implemented.

gkb Wrote:

> Please be aware that the "One Dulwich" group should be re-named as "one bit of Dulwich" they

> are not representative and appear to be a select group who are against change. Changes can never

> appease everyone, but the road closures (temp) in the village are a great step towards cutting down

> pollution and making the roads safer for cyclists and pedestrians. These changes have been requested

> for years and it is at long last they have been implemented.

The "One Dulwich" name refers to the East and West parts of Dulwich separated by the DV junction and other closures in OHS. I would imagine we are just as representatative, or more so, of Dulwich as pressure groups behind OHS sush as Safe Routes or Mums for Lungs. We are not agasint change, we just want changes to be properly thought through and appropriate. Indeeed we actually proposed a low traffic neigbourhood 5 years ago, before the last botched re-design of the junction.

In terms of pollution, I am afraid the current changes, and indeed OHS, will move the pollution elsewhere, look at Dulwich Village last week. Anyway, the Foundation schools have now gone on holiday so things will be better for a couple of months. Wait till September and see what happens then.

edited to add: One Dlwich now has over 500 supporters who have signed up ove the last 3 weeks or so.

gkb Wrote:

> Please be aware that the "One Dulwich" group

> should be re-named as "one bit of Dulwich" they

> are not representative and appear to be a select

> group who are against change. Changes can never

> appease everyone, but the road closures (temp) in

> the village are a great step towards cutting down

> pollution and making the roads safer for cyclists

> and pedestrians. These changes have been requested

> for years and it is at long last they have been

> implemented.

Do you think they are making up their membership? I'm not sure I do.

Every time one of these closures is implemented the result is increased journey times (with its attendant pollution) and hassle for the vast majority of people who are just trying to get around and live their lives. The reality is that forced inconvenience isn?t going to cause a mass adoption of cycling, and to suggest we should have to walk several miles every day just to go to the shops is absurd.

If there are any councillors who frequent this forum, what exactly is the end goal here? It would appear to somebody who is outside of the local political bubble that the only objective is to garner favour from the seemingly intersecting minority of wealthy residents who are lucky enough to live close to amenities and cycling enthusiasts to the detriment of everybody else.

One Dulwich are the catalyst for people across the area to have their voices heard. What the council has done, by repeatedly listening only to the voices they want to hear, is create a culture of distrust in everything they do. One Dulwich is the constituents? response and one that, if I was a local councillor, I would be concerned about as it really shows the numbers of people who feel like they are being ignored. The councillors love a revolution so let?s see how they manage this one....one of their own creating...;-)

The "benefits" of the scheme are for "leafy Dulwich residents" The extra traffic along Dulwich Common, which has the Lordship Lane Estate on it and East Dulwich Grove where there is also social housing isn't exactly benefiting them is it?

Great if you live on Court Lane where you'll no longer have traffic avoiding the South Circular queuing up to get into Dulwich Village, but not for those who live day to day.

Between 4.30pm - 6.20pm Dulwich Village and south circular were gridlocked. Lots of cars sitting in standstill traffic with their engines running.

my journey time was increased because I can no longer take the most direct route, plus gridlock traffic on the roads that we?re all being forced onto exacerbate the problem.

This may have improved air quality on a couple of streets, but I?d hate to live on the roads that are now taking all the traffic and fumes that accompany it.

Closing roads is not the answer.

rheller Wrote:

> I cycled from East Dulwich to Dulwich Village

> Infants School then back to East Dulwich Charter

> School this morning to drop off both my children.

> I was cycling between 8.30 and 9.30 and the

> traffic was fine - it wasn?t backed up or

> congested. Townley Road didn?t have much queuing

> traffic and neither did Dulwich Village. It was a

> pleasant experience and it certainly felt safer as

> a cyclist.

>

> I cycled back home along Melbourne Grove - again

> this seems to have settled down and it was an

> enjoyable and calm cycle along the road.

May I ask - in the depths of winter when the days are cold, wet and short would this be your preferred way to get to the school? If you were to drive which route would you take? Everyone who can is doing more cycling now as the days are warm, dry and long and many are working from home allowing more flexibility to drop and pick children up from school. When many return to work and days draw in many may not have the option to cycle.

The foundation schools have not been operation normally this term so I can?t see how their ?closing? can have any impact on the current traffic. Once the schools reopen and the coaches are back, life on the local roads is going to be hell. I?m not quite sure why reducing the traffic in DV where there are few but huge houses should impact so much on the rest of us.

Rockets Wrote:

> rheller Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I cycled from East Dulwich to Dulwich Village

> > Infants School then back to East Dulwich

> Charter

> > School this morning to drop off both my

> children.

> > I was cycling between 8.30 and 9.30 and the

> > traffic was fine - it wasn?t backed up or

> > congested. Townley Road didn?t have much

> queuing

> > traffic and neither did Dulwich Village. It was

> a

> > pleasant experience and it certainly felt safer

> as

> > a cyclist.

> >

> > I cycled back home along Melbourne Grove -

> again

> > this seems to have settled down and it was an

> > enjoyable and calm cycle along the road.

>

> May I ask - in the depths of winter when the days

> are cold, wet and short would this be your

> preferred way to get to the school? If you were to

> drive which route would you take? Everyone who can

> is doing more cycling now as the days are warm,

> dry and long and many are working from home

> allowing more flexibility to drop and pick

> children up from school. When many return to work

> and days draw in many may not have the option to

> cycle.

Having the experience of both driving and cycling on school runs in the past down to the village (along Calton), I can say that it is actually faster to do the run when it rains on a bicycle as more people take to their cars when the weather is bad and there is more traffic congestion. Sensible clothing does the trick. If you drive, you not only spend time stuck in traffic, you have to drive about a bit looking for a spot to park. Cycling wins on the time it takes argument even when cycling slowly with kids in tow.