LTN: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3

bobbsy

I agree its not 'wise' but lets stop the hand wringing about him being a primary school teacher. He didn't tweet it from the school account, its his personal account. Twitter has an age limit of 13 so his pupils shouldn't be seeing it.

Its not exactly a secret that James is hugely anti Tory, so not sure why its coming as a huge surprise to anyone.

Metallic also raises a very good point about why so many of us are asking for the detail behind the data.

All we have from the council is that the monitoring was done in September 21 but we need to know when it was collected because at the beginning of the month the local private schools had not gone back and at the end of the month the fuel crisis was resulting in a massive reduction in car and vehicle usage.

So it is vital that information is shared so people know what the council is comparing. This is why Cllr Williams promised to share that data but has yet to do so.

goldilocks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree its not 'wise' but lets stop the hand

> wringing about him being a primary school teacher.

> He didn't tweet it from the school account, its

> his personal account. Twitter has an age limit of

> 13 so his pupils shouldn't be seeing it.

>

> Its not exactly a secret that James is hugely anti

> Tory, so not sure why its coming as a huge

> surprise to anyone.

I completely disagree. And anyway it shows the make of a "man" when that sort of message is exposed. Presumably he has a few parents following him on twitter?

Don't spend a lot of time on Twitter, but thanks for posting, made me smile. Do join me for a bad taste Maggie Maggie Maggie, Out Out Out, by the posh estate in West Dulwich on the South Circ.

Elsewhere others have suffered from a sense of humour failure.

malumbu Wrote:

> Don't spend a lot of time on Twitter, but thanks

> for posting, made me smile. Do join me for a bad

> taste Maggie Maggie Maggie, Out Out Out, by the

> posh estate in West Dulwich on the South Circ.

>

> Elsewhere others have suffered from a sense of

> humour failure.

But it isn't funny is it? Neither is the Williams response. Let's see how they react when they get called out for a few of their data analysis attempts.

It is, in fact, incredibly stupid to post that on twitter but as we have seen time and time again from many councillors all they care about is their own echo-chamber and seem to lose all sense of reality when it comes to talking to like-minded individuals.

He thinks it's funny, and I am sure his comrades would be all rolling about laughing at the message on his jumper but he wouldn't be happy if a Tory councillor was wearing a jumper that was saying "F*** teachers" so why is is it acceptable for him to target any group no matter how despicable you think that group might be? But given some of the people he looks up to refer to their opposition as s**m you can see how this happens.

There's an air of aggression in politics nowadays and people in public office should be engaging brain before posting - Cllr McAsh has made a serious error of judgement here and I am not sure his school would be overly happy if their pupils were following him on twitter to see one of their teachers posting that. I understand personal views etc on twitter but you are still representing both the council and the school in your bio - show some class and don't drag your profession and council office into the gutter.

The fact Cllr Williams has liked it speaks volumes - perhaps he will claim he didn't see the profanity on the jumper, nor the finger sign on it too!

I can see the funny side, I just don't think someone in Cllr McAsh's position should be posting it onto a public twitter channel when he has no idea who will see it.

And the fact Malumbu thinks anyone who has an issue with this is suffering a sense of humour failure just shows how some people will try to forgive anything within their own echo-chamber and highlights the point I was making earlier.

As the Manics so wonderfully said: If you tolerate this your children will be next

My worry remains that is the council are treating their constituents with such contempt over LTNs what else are they doing and what else will they do in future?

Rockets Wrote:

> It is, in fact, incredibly stupid to post that on

> twitter but as we have seen time and time again

> from many councillors all they care about is their

> own echo-chamber and seem to lose all sense of

> reality when it comes to talking to like-minded

> individuals.

>

> He thinks it's funny, and I am sure his comrades

> would be all rolling about laughing at the message

> on his jumper but he wouldn't be happy if a Tory

> councillor was wearing a jumper that was saying

> "F*** teachers" so why is is it acceptable for him

> to target any group no matter how despicable you

> think that group might be? But given some of the

> people he looks up to refer to their opposition as

> s**m you can see how this happens.

>

> There's an air of aggression in politics nowadays

> and people in public office should be engaging

> brain before posting - Cllr McAsh has made a

> serious error of judgement here and I am not sure

> his school would be overly happy if their pupils

> were following him on twitter to see one of their

> teachers posting that. I understand personal views

> etc on twitter but you are still representing both

> the council and the school in your bio - show some

> class and don't drag your profession and council

> office into the gutter.

>

> The fact Cllr Williams has liked it speaks volumes

> - perhaps he will claim he didn't see the

> profanity on the jumper, nor the finger sign on it

> too!

>

> I can see the funny side, I just don't think

> someone in Cllr McAsh's position should be posting

> it onto a public twitter channel when he has no

> idea who will see it.

>

> And the fact Malumbu thinks anyone who has an

> issue with this is suffering a sense of humour

> failure just shows how some people will try to

> forgive anything within their own echo-chamber and

> highlights the point I was making earlier.

>

> As the Manics so wonderfully said: If you tolerate

> this your children will be next

>

> My worry remains that is the council are treating

> their constituents with such contempt over LTNs

> what else are they doing and what else will they

> do in future?

Complain to the local government ombudsman then and stop whinging

It is juvenile, aggressive and off-putting. At the very least, crap politics (unless all you're interested in is your own echo chamber). Perhaps Cllr McAsh forgets that most people aren't mad/tribal (delete as appropriate) enough to join a political party, but rather (like me) are floating voters. Goose Green ward and Dulwich Village ward are pretty marginal, aren't they? I'm astonished Labour hasn't asked him to delete it.

It's utterly mindless to post that on twitter - what was he thinking? It could well come back to haunt him - that stuff never disappears.

I suspect half of Southwark Labour have liked it....if Cllr Williams has liked it is shows the attitude problem goes all the way to the top...more and more they act as if they are untouchable.....May 5th may come as a shock to a few....

I am amazed as well that someone sensible in Labour hasn't had a quiet word in his ear to say it needs to be deleted.

Thanks for the distractiom, there was not a lot new of relevance that could be said on this thread. Here are some other 'crazy' things political parties have said in the past

New Labour, New Danger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Labour,_New_Danger

Support the Cuts, sexist campaign with a lady having her bra cut (sorry can't find the image but this link will need to suffice): https://conservativehome.blogs.com/torydiary/2006/07/the_federation_.html

And unabashed racism http://equinoxconsulting.net/is-it-time-to-ditch-the-colour-black-for-our-true-heritage-african-3/ (May have been a hoax, but don't let that get in the way of a good story).

I?m not sure that?s an official Labour campaign jumper, Malumbu, at least now that Sir Keir is in charge.

Back to more official matters, the Overview and Scrutiny Committee is interviewing Cllrs Rose and Burgess on their portfolios next week

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=7004

Might be worth asking some of the LD committee members to ask what plans there are to deal with air pollution on the so-called boundary roads etc - no opportunity for public questions at these committee meetings I don?t believe.

malumbu Wrote:

> Thanks for the distractiom, there was not a lot

> new of relevance that could be said on this

> thread. Here are some other 'crazy' things

> political parties have said in the past

>

> New Labour, New Danger

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Labour,_New_Dang

> er

>

> Support the Cuts, sexist campaign with a lady

> having her bra cut (sorry can't find the image but

> this link will need to suffice):

> https://conservativehome.blogs.com/torydiary/2006/

> 07/the_federation_.html

>

> And unabashed racism

> http://equinoxconsulting.net/is-it-time-to-ditch-t

> he-colour-black-for-our-true-heritage-african-3/

> (May have been a hoax, but don't let that get in

> the way of a good story).

--

Thanks for the deflection, Malumbu, but I don't think 1997 M&C Saatchi, The 1980s Federation of Conservative Students, nor the group that produced the racist leaflet in 1970 [interesting historical detail here about its precise heritage https://medium.com/@pitt_bob/if-you-desire-a-coloured-for-your-neighbour-vote-labour-the-origins-of-a-racist-leaflet-7978858dd02f ] either a) live in East Dulwich or b) are running in the May 2022 elections or c) have pledged to represent all voters.