LTN: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3

bobbsy

No difference to any other noise nuisance or is ok because it?s a certain type of music being played each week? Maybe one week people can have some fun down there with some rave music or a mosh pit, I expect with your reasoning that would be fine too as long as people are having fun and they come by bicycle?

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, it was so much nicer and safer when it was

> an endless chain of white Range Rovers driving

> 1.5km trips on Really Important Errands.

>

> I can't stand people enjoying themselves.

>

> roywj Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I understand that gatherings of no more than 30

> > people are allowed. Looks like more than 30

> people

> > in the video. I wouldn?t be happy if I lived on

> > Court Lane/Calton junction with all that going

> on

> > outside, think the closure will be losing any

> > remaining support with locals.

What will be peak closure times on Townley road and when do they start ?

They don't. They were part of the original Healthy Streets plan (link below) which was suspended due to Covid. The measures being undertaken here (and elsewhere) are sort of related (in that a lot of councils had Healthy Streets / Low Traffic Neighbourhood plans in the pipeline) but they're currently being put in as trial / temporary measures as everything stumbles back to some sort of post-pandemic "normal".

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/improving-our-streets/live-projects/our-healthy-streets/our-healthy-streets-dulwich

However timed restrictions is different to what they're doing now; it's not part of the current plan because it costs a lot and the emergency legislation being used at the moment doesn't cover it.

To answer your question (it's in the link above as well), peak hours in that area were reported as between 7am to 10am and 3pm to 8pm although whether the timed restrictions would have been across those exact periods I don't think was ever explicitly stated.

I am not sure who is funding these duets and we also had a women on stilts arrive in dulwich village - I believe she was being paid by southwark to walk around dulwich village - a day when no-one was there saying shop local. I would prefer the money to be spent on supplies for the foodbank.

Interested to read that the lady on stilts was paid for by Southwark Council - are you able to share how you came by this information? Am also interested in who is behind Friends of Dulwich Square beyond what is vaguely described on their website as ?A group of local residents and businesses.? Hmmmm ... where have I heard that before

I came by this information from another shop-keeper in west dulwich; the lady on stilts went into her shop after she had walked around dulwich village. She was told (by the people who paid for her and organized her) to keep her appearance as a surprise as the locals were not happy with the road closure and I presumed it was southwark paying her as she was carrying a shop local sign and I expect they have a budget for keeping shops open. Not sure about the last part. Might be able to find out more if necessary.

Am I alone in thinking this is all getting a little weird - allegations of slashed traffic monitoring and planter destruction, people on stilts being paid to promote "shop local", a junction that is supposed to now be for pedestrians and cycles being closed to pedestrians and cycles by an (allegedly) unlicensed and (allegedly) non-social distancing event?

I'm being mostly tongue in cheek but as someone who's desperately trying to hang on to her job, keep the people I am working for happy, work efficiently but still mostly from home and desperately trying not melt in this heat, I can't help but feel as if people have way too much time on their hands to be ratcheting up the pressure and counter-pressure to this level!

Siduhe Wrote:

> Am I alone in thinking this is all getting a

> little weird - allegations of slashed traffic

> monitoring and planter destruction, people on

> stilts being paid to promote "shop local", a

> junction that is supposed to now be for

> pedestrians and cycles being closed to pedestrians

> and cycles by an (allegedly) unlicensed and

> (allegedly) non-social distancing event?

>

> I'm being mostly tongue in cheek but as someone

> who's desperately trying to hang on to her job,

> keep the people I am working for happy, work

> efficiently but still mostly from home and

> desperately trying not melt in this heat, I can't

> help but feel as if people have way too much time

> on their hands to be ratcheting up the pressure

> and counter-pressure to this level!

And all in the middle of a zombie Apocalypse type plague (just to add to the tongue in cheekiness)

Maybe they're volunteers, just like one Dulwich are eh

ne21 Wrote:

> I am not sure who is funding these duets and we

> also had a women on stilts arrive in dulwich

> village - I believe she was being paid by

> southwark to walk around dulwich village - a day

> when no-one was there saying shop local. I would

> prefer the money to be spent on supplies for the

> foodbank.

Bicknell Wrote:

> except you dont need a license to campaign but you

> do need one to put on an event. Especially when

> there are rules because of covid. Unless youre

> Dominic Cummings.

No, it couldn't be.

I'm being mostly tongue in cheek but as someone who's desperately trying to hang on to her job, keep the people I am working for happy, work efficiently but still mostly from home and desperately trying not melt in this heat, I can't help but feel as if people have way too much time on their hands to be ratcheting up the pressure and counter-pressure to this level!

A lot of people are bored and frustrated. Furloughed or WFH, schools are now properly on holiday too, a lot of people will have had foreign holidays cancelled or changed and it's lovely weather. So basically a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands.

Most of the time it's fairly harmless - someone walking round on stilts is a bit eccentric but not really an issue. Having impromptu music gatherings and Strictly Come Dancing re-enactments without thinking about the fact that, y'know there is still a global pandemic and this is still a ROAD and people still want to travel along it is towards the more selfish end of the spectrum. I doubt anyone has even thought of it has an event or campaigning - to them it'll just be "a bit of harmless fun".

It's that national lack of common sense on display again.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> Imagine thinking using public space for something

> other than cars was selfish.

>

> How much do you One Dulwich astroturfers get paid,

> or is it just bar credits at Solidify Sports Club?

But it's a road junction

Technically it was designed for vehicle traffic so actually using it for cars is logical and valid

It's quite entertaining how badly some people have lost it over the though that people might be dancing, dancing of all things, on a piece of road they can't even legally use for their cars. Because the people might stop thinking that cars are the ultimate evolution of society.

When I was curious if the anonymous vandal of the traffic monitoring system might be a One Dulwich supporter some people here were worried I was casting aspersions on the anonymous vandal by even the curiosity of an association with such an organisation. I did think that was a bit excessive.

exdulwicher Wrote:

> I'm being mostly tongue in cheek but as someone

> who's desperately trying to hang on to her job,

> keep the people I am working for happy, work

> efficiently but still mostly from home and

> desperately trying not melt in this heat, I can't

> help but feel as if people have way too much time

> on their hands to be ratcheting up the pressure

> and counter-pressure to this level!

>

> A lot of people are bored and frustrated.

> Furloughed or WFH, schools are now properly on

> holiday too, a lot of people will have had foreign

> holidays cancelled or changed and it's lovely

> weather. So basically a lot of people with a lot

> of time on their hands.

>

> Most of the time it's fairly harmless - someone

> walking round on stilts is a bit eccentric but not

> really an issue. Having impromptu music gatherings

> and Strictly Come Dancing re-enactments without

> thinking about the fact that, y'know there is

> still a global pandemic and this is still a ROAD

> and people still want to travel along it is

> towards the more selfish end of the spectrum. I

> doubt anyone has even thought of it has an event

> or campaigning - to them it'll just be "a bit of

> harmless fun".

>

> It's that national lack of common sense on display

> again.

Completely agree. As ever everything becomes so polarised, on the one hand someone cuts the monitoring strips thinking that will somehow scupper the programme or to make a childish point and on the other you have a group who are trying desperately to force turning a grotty bit of tarmac into a village square and an epicentre of entertainment to help their narrative.

Both great examples of the extremes of the argument and neither of which reflect the views of most of the people on either side of it.

I don?t think the commandeering off ?Dulwich Square? as an arts venue has much to do with the road closure argument. From the Friends of Dulwich Square website:

?We are passionate about creating positive uses for our newly formed square. Our first project is a socially distanced micro arts festival which is running every Saturday throughout August - more information below.

We believe that the square will be a great benefit to our local businesses and we encourage all to shop-local and support Dulwich Village's wonderful retailers, cafes and restaurants.

If you have any ideas for the square we would love to hear from you.

We are not a platform to discuss the pros and cons of Southwark's Street Space initiative. We have set up this community group, purely to explore the potential positive uses of the space.?

To be fair, all retail is having a rocky ride which is likely to get worse and I can?t really be against an initiative that might increase footfall to the area. I do though still have issues regarding social distancing and the obstruction it causes for cyclists and pedestrians.