Olympics with a toddler?

Hi,

I have tickets to see football at Wembly, and am planning to go with my 19month old. And looking for advice regarding it.

Have you been to an olympic event with a toddler? Were all the buggy park spaces taken up really quickly? Did you use a carrier instead (I have a little life I could use). Did they let you take your carrier in? What advice regarding food do you have?

Is it worth all the stress? :-s

Many thanks,

B

We went to the gymnastics this morning with our 19 month old. We took him in his Ergo (he is quite happy to nap in it) and got there quite early and got through security quickly. We could take the carrier in and were allowed to take in his water. We also took some snacks with us - the queue for Starbucks was massive! I saw people with pushchairs but we decided easier to negotiate tube and crowds with the Ergo. He was fine and seemed to enjoy it....

Don't know about arrangements at Wembley but enjoy!

My understanding is all venues have a buggy park? OP - I don't know about your carrier and whether you could take it to your seat, we took the Ergo as it's light and can fold up. Maybe you could call and check? We didn't go overboard on snacks either. I think the website has an FAQ section dealing with what you can take in.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I tried the Olympics help line and they just read out (badly) the information accessible online. I think I will try the little life. The thought of parking up the buggy and then the worry of a toddler in crowds too much, as well as dealing with buggy on busy tube.....

Snowboarder, hope you enjoy your event on Wednesday.

B

The guidelines for wembley seem to be that you aren't allowed to take any bags in at all, this is different from the other London venues. Not sure what they do regarding a toddlers drinks and food. It might be worth calling again to try and get some more information, for example if they won't let you take the carrier in what will they do with it. Somewhere on the website it says that if you try to bring any banned items they will be taken off you and not returned depending on what you bring that could turn in to an expensive afternoon. I am sure it will be great once you work out the logistics.

Hi there,

In Wembley, you can bring one bag but it must just 'one soft-sided bag of 25 litre capacity or less (you must be able to fit your bag under your seat)' Unfortunately, they say you can't bring in push chairs or prams. You can also bring in baby food they say. Check these guidelines.

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/83/91/WembleyStadiumprohibitedandrestricteditems_Neutral.pdf

I went to Coventry Stidum yesterday with my seven year old to see Canada vs South Africa & Sweden vs Japan in the women's football. There were lots of families with young children - it was a great atmosphere! So don't be put off going but just read the guidelines carefully. I had my handbag and a soft canvas carrier bag, if I had just bought the handbag, I could have bypassed the massive security line-up but it was handy to have it for bits and pieces and the line moved fairly quickly.

That website is a little confusing as it talks about pram storage further down the page. Also, if you click on the football spectator guide, there is a map of the venue which shows the pram storage area. Maybe it's just that it's outside the venue and so you may have a long period without it once you are in?

Coach Beth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi there,

>

> In Wembley, you can bring one bag but it must just

> 'one soft-sided bag of 25 litre capacity or less

> (you must be able to fit your bag under your

> seat)' Unfortunately, they say you can't bring in

> push chairs or prams. You can also bring in baby

> food they say. Check these guidelines.

Sorry! I just checked the email I have and you are right, you can bring a bag but they "strongly suggest you don't as it may delay entry to your event"

>

> http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Ge

> neral/01/25/83/91/WembleyStadiumprohibitedandrestr

> icteditems_Neutral.pdf

>

> I went to Coventry Stidum yesterday with my seven

> year old to see Canada vs South Africa & Sweden vs

> Japan in the women's football. There were lots of

> families with young children - it was a great

> atmosphere! So don't be put off going but just

> read the guidelines carefully. I had my handbag

> and a soft canvas carrier bag, if I had just

> bought the handbag, I could have bypassed the

> massive security line-up but it was handy to have

> it for bits and pieces and the line moved fairly

> quickly.

I would definitely bring a picnic and snacks with you. We went to the Olympic Park yesterday and queues for food were long and the food was expensive and not great. You can't take in any liquid over 100ml but empty plastic bottles are fine and you can fill them up at water fountains inside. (In the park - don't know about Wembley). We didn't take our little boy but saw lots of people with children and buggies and they all seemed to be having a good time. Lots of big open spaces for toddlers to run around and explore & of course no traffic which is lovely. The whole thing was amazing and I now really want to get day passes for the paralymics so we can take toddler. Security queues and transport were all quick, seamless & really well organised. (we arrived at 9.30am and left at 8pm but there were no events in the main stadium that day so park wasn't at capacity)

Main tip for anyone going to the park - layers, waterproof coat and comfy shoes essential - there isn't really anywhere to shelter from the rain outside the venues & you spend most of the day walking around. Enjoy!

Thanks for the top tips scareyt. We are taking our 20 month old to the basketball arena next week, which apparently has a buggy parking area. Am worried about how long she will sit still for but hopefully she will be alright and my husband has agreed to take her out if she causes a distraction to other spectators. If anyone else has any feedback or tips on taking toddlers to the olympics, please do share them.

Went to Olympic park today with a 5 year old, 3 year old and one year old. My tips:

1. Bloody loads of walking - make sure kids have super, super comfy shoes on.

2. We took our baby back pack carrier which was fine (and handy for the train/tube), but a buggy would have been quite handy for carting the baby and associated things about it. There were plenty of people there with them. You can park them when you go into one of the stadia.

3. Take a picnic. Food queues v v long, and food is seriously expensive and rubbish.

4. Take in empty water bottles and fill them up at water coolers inside park.

5. I forgot and took a large bottle of sunscreen which was confiscated, so remember to take a small one.

Other than that it was really ace. We had our picnic watching the BT Live screens, which the kids loved. The enjoyed seeing the Queen's boat (Gloriana) and loads of hills to do some Olympic standard hill rolling down. Just walkiung by the river and looking at the gorgeous flowers was a treat. Highly recommended, although we were all exhausted when we got home!

We went today with our one year old as well. We took the bugggy, there were buggy parks at each of the arenas and the it was handy to have for the long walk from Stratford station to the basketball arena. We also seemed to get into priority lanes. The basketball was great although our baby didn't enjoy it much after the first half an hour or so and once he had started trying to eat the ice cream of the man sitting next to me we felt we had to leave after the first game! But it was a fun afternoon out anyway, and lovely to feel at the centre of all the action.

Just a quick question, im going in sep for paralympics and was wondering if it was easy bringing a buggy? Il be at the olympic park watching swimming, am i allowed to bring my changing bag or will i have to just take baby food and nappies? My baby will be 7 months so dont really want to take her in a sling! All advice appeciated!! Nabz x

I am going to the football on Saturday, really wouldn't advise taking a toddler (tho my friend is planning to) - can't imagine they will get much out of it at this young age and it sounds a bit nighmarish even as an adult planning journey and what to take! Good luck if you do brave it with tot in tow x

We went to the basketball yesterday with my 8 month old. We went with the carrier but there were a lot of people with buggies and it did look very easy. My advice is, if you've got a baby as young as ours, make a contingency plan for loud noises. Our little one was fine during the warm ups, the loud music, all of it until the first ball went in the basket and then she got very upset at the sound of the crowds cheering! We had to leave for the first game, but after she'd had a nap she didn't seem to mind it during the second game.

Also, getting to the Olympic Park from Denmark Hill, I'd advise taking the train to St Pancras then the javelin train. It was really relaxed and easy.

ah thank you for advice! so can i bring my changing bag nappies, cream, nappy bag formula and cooled boiled water? i dont carry the formula in the original box but a smaller clear box, is this allowed? did you bring babies food like normal? thank you!!

Hi,

I visited Stratford yesterday (no ticket to get into the park), and the public transport was really easy. Went from Brockley Overground, changed at Canada Water to pick up the jubilee line. Trains pretty quiet. Admitedly we did travel around 12, and came back about 8.30/9.

Hoping Wembely will be fine. Phoned the stadium on Monday, and they didn't know they had buggy parks! Seems to be a lot of confusion. LOCOG when I phoned them regarding clarification were unhelpful!

Thanks for all the tips given.

b x

Just back from Wembely - what a great match! Go Team GB!! :-)

Despite all the confusion and concern caused by the websites, the staff were great once we got there. We took LO in the little life in the end. We got to the front of the security queue as we were directed through the disabled entrance, due to the carrier. The carrier also gave LO a great view for travelling, but also safety in the huge crowds when leaving.

Seats at Wembely flip up, so the carrier was perfect.

Took snacks - food mega expensive. 500ml bottles of water were about ?2. Took empty bottles to fill up at water fountains.

B x

Uptime, we saw basketball and I wouldn't worry at all about distracting other people, the crowd was very noisy & jolly when we were there, with plenty of coming and going so it shouldn't be a problem going in and out if your little one gets bored. Other tip is the toilets inside the basketball arena were much nicer than the ones just outside. I only queued for the ladies inside just after the game finished, other times we could walk right in and there is baby changing in some cubicles.

We found it really entertaining, they put on quite a show! Have fun.

Another thought - our tickets for the afternoon session said get to the arena 75 mins early which we did but were then queuing outside (in the rian - yuk!) to get in for about 1/2 hour while they cleared out the morning people. So I wouldn't bother getting there more than 30-45 mins before it starts. Enjoy!