Monkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is this the guy who cycles carrying a big stick

> (window cleaning equipment)? I?m concerned about

> him as well as the harm he could potentially do to

> others. He can be very aggressive but responded

> well when my husband told him recently he should

> go home as it was about to rain. He?s obviously in

> need of medical care. I?ll call 999 next time.

Please be clear when you call 999 ask for an ambulance, not the police. The man needs a medical assessment for medication to stabilise him. Psychiatrists ate in a better position to determine what's best for him and society. If that means keeping him in a psychiatric unit to keep others safe, that's their remit.

Bobbly, last time I asked for an ambulance for someone who was behaving strangely (mental health / potentially drug induced) and putting his life at risk by walking too close to cars on a busy road, 999 was really short with me and told me they can?t just follow people around...

I?ll call 999 next time.

Actually, most paramedics and ambulance people are not trained to handle psychiatric issues (i.e. in mental health) - neither for that matter are police officers, although both are frequently called in to handle people without the relevant skill sets to do it. I believe that there may be two (only) ambulances in London with appropriately trained people, although call-outs to handle mental health issues are constantly rising.

Police will respond where there is clear and current danger to third parties or of self-harm (i.e. jumpers), ambulances where there is a clear and imminent danger of self-harm. 'Acting oddly' in and of itself won't normally get a response. (At least in part because such a bystander judgement is very subjective).

The lack of training in and availability of emergency 'ambulance' psychological and psychiatric staff is of growing concern.