Aggressive man - Peckham rye park

Police are the go to when someone is endangering others. Who else does anyone expect to apprehend and detain this man? Expecting paramedics to deal with someone who may already have committed assault on numerous occasions and of various kinds, is unreasonable. They have no power of arrest.

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/fears-after-series-of-attacks-and-threatening-behaviour-toward-women-and-toddlers-in-peckham-rye-park-and-east-dulwich/

"A spokesperson from the Met?s central press office declined to comment on the reported incidents, saying that it could not ?waste time? looking into ?non-serious? crimes that did not involve ?terror attacks or murders? for this publication."

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/fears-after-s

> eries-of-attacks-and-threatening-behaviour-toward-

> women-and-toddlers-in-peckham-rye-park-and-east-du

> lwich/

>

> "A spokesperson from the Met?s central press

> office declined to comment on the reported

> incidents, saying that it could not ?waste time?

> looking into ?non-serious? crimes that did not

> involve ?terror attacks or murders? for this

> publication."

So the police are going to wait until this person commits a "serious" crime?

That's reassuring. Not.

Or maybe they need to get a new spokesperson .....

Sue Wrote:

> So the police are going to wait until this person

> commits a "serious" crime?

>

> That's reassuring. Not.

>

> Or maybe they need to get a new spokesperson .....

Not quite. I read it as the Met Police *Press Office* saying that they don't have the time to help a local paper with a local story about local and relatively minor offences as they have bigger fish to fry. Not the *Police* saying they don't have time to investigate the issue.

But, yes, their Press Office might have phrased their response more tactfully.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Again, as I asked on 4/2/20, "Is this guy of quite

> slight build ?".

> Apols if I've missed some detail above.

If the implication is therefore - "why doesn't someone do him over"... I suspect it wouldn't be the first time. If you go around acting like that, it's only a matter of time before someone isn't intimidated and decides to protect himself or others. But he's obviously highly unstable, so it probably isn't going to act as any sort of deterrent.

I had assumed the question about 'slight build' was to confirm identity. Someone clearly suffering mental distress (as reported) was stopped and taken into custody by police (using a taser 'for his own protection - he had a knife') in Peckham yesterday or the day before. Maybe the same person?

Dexters Mum Wrote:

> Was not the same man, the male in the park was

> much younger. Just goes to show mental health

> services are failing big time.

Agreed, but I imagine that is because they are under-resourced.

Not holding my breath that that will change.

There is a shortage of mental health wards and bed with beds in the private sector being used at greater expense to the NHS. The whole system of mental health provision needs an overhaul, and not just in terms of treatment, but also in terms of prevention. A lot more could be done to reduce stress for example, which is why Southwark's policy around giving free fitness center access to those with health conditions (including mental health) on GP referral is a good investment. But for treatment to be effective, it has to be long term and at the moment, everything is rationed in a way that it can be argued is ineffective.

When it comes to this man, there is an issue around at which point is an underlying condition treatable in the community, and at what point does a condition become a threat to other people or the patient themself? This is often a hard one to call. Antisocial behaviour that is verbal, isn't restricted to those with mental health conditions after all. Assaulting someone by throwing coffee in their face won't always lead to a custodial sentence either. What we do not know is what care and/ or treatment plan this man is currently under (he is almost certainly likely to be already known to local mental health teams), nor what view is taken of the alleged physical assaults (the hot coffee and pushing). It sounds to me as though some day to day supervision is needed to assess his general behaviour.

What the feck are you on about ?

Reason I ask (and reason for my initial post) was I?d seen a guy of slight build on the P13 shouting around and monopolising on the fact that everyone on bus stays polite and calm so he can just rant on and intimidate others.

So obviously I wanted to check the description and if it appeared to be the same guy I could warn people he may also be encountered on the bus.

What?s with all your ?do him over? BS ?!

It?s like somebody posts one thing and you just invent a whole new meaning that has literally nothing to do with the actual words in my question.

People really do try to extract badness and I?ll-will from every sentence.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Again, as I asked on 4/2/20, "Is this guy of

> quite

> > slight build ?".

> > Apols if I've missed some detail above.

>

> If the implication is therefore - "why doesn't

> someone do him over"... I suspect it wouldn't be

> the first time. If you go around acting like that,

> it's only a matter of time before someone isn't

> intimidated and decides to protect himself or

> others. But he's obviously highly unstable, so it

> probably isn't going to act as any sort of

> deterrent.

Beggars do get attacked regularly - there used to be a man who aggressively begged on Rye Lane a few years ago - then the same in Waterloo. I know he got beaten up regularly as he used to show me the bruises/dried blood to elicit sympathy (unless he was faking it which I don't think he was).

I actually watched this guy deteriorate from regular build to slight build as his behavior worsened over 5 years with periods obviously spent in prison and wearing a tag.

Today at 10am, next to the Dulwich Hospital looks like the same guy (scares on his face) assaulted ladies on the bus stop. No physical harm done but he was really aggressive. Helpful bus driver get all of them on board and took them to the next bus stop. And another gentleman (in motorcycle outfit) confronted the guy.

One lady was going to phone police.

I really hope they get him off the streets..

Think I met this chap while waiting for a bus by Tesco Express next to the Rye this morning. He was on the opposite side of the road, saw me and crossed over. He was right in my face and told me I 'owed him'. I responded I didn't and had nothing to give him. I tried to move away but he was really invading my personal space. He did then move away but stayed close and just kept staring at me. it was slightly unnerving