neighbours pulling strokes, what to do?

SteveT

In the last couple of weeks I have had about 20 dog ends thrown over the wall seperating me from what I think are modern maisonettes. It has never happened before, but it is not obvious which abode is causing this, unless I go knocking on doors to find out.

Anyone any ideas what to do to solve this, short of putting a fence on top of the wall?

I had a similar experience many years ago. Neighbours teenage kids and their friends partying in the garden and flicking the ends over the wall. I put them all in a plastic bag, went round the next day and knocked on the door. The mother opened the door and I simply said, "I think these belong to you." Never happened again.

My mother had a similar problem with a neighbour a few years ago (personally I would have been livid, I think it absolutely insulting and would have been tempted to throw back a dog-turd). She played it smart, however, and went round to the neighbour with a concerned look on her face and told them she had found cigarette butts outside her back door beside the dividing fence and was worried that there might be intruders coming into the back gardens from a piece of undeveloped land at the back. She asked the neighbour if they had had the same experience. The neighbour (realising of course they were the culprit) said that they had not noticed anything but would keep their eyes peeled. From that moment onwards there were no more cigarette ends tossed over the fence. Softly, softly, shame the junkie!

Today I started with my ladder up the 8 foot wall I climbed up with a 12foot plank with a mark at 3ft and 4ft from the top my neighbour came out to ask if I was doing some work and I explained that I was irritated at the dog ends coming over so I thought an extra fence on top of the wall would prevent anymore cluttering the garden. She was horrified and admitted they had been coming from her place as she had had a smoker staying there.

So hopefully that is the last of the dog end storey. Thank you all for your input and support it is so useful having other informed opinions being voiced.

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> GB, has it put you off flicking yer fag butt over

> the wall?

Good grief, I would never dream of doing anything so uncouth! The only thing I'd be likely to chuck over my wall would be my neighbour if he was petty enough to complain about a few cigarette ends! :))

Looks like myself and Growlybear are the only two (so far) who think that putting your ladder up the 8 foot wall and climbing up with a 12foot plank with a mark at 3ft and 4ft from the top is a somewhat strange way of asking your neighbours to stop throwing fag butts over your fence.

Anyone else?

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> It might sound abit drastic but he sorted his

> problem without having to get arsey. Job well

> done if you ask me. Soz Mrs Bear!

Blimey if you call what he did not getting arsey, I'd hate to see him when he DOES get arsey! I know what I'd do if my neighbour popped up over my wall lugging a 12' plank!

Growlybear Wrote:

> lozzyloz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> Good grief, I would never dream of doing anything

> so uncouth! The only thing I'd be likely to chuck

> over my wall would be my neighbour if he was petty

> enough to complain about a few cigarette ends!

> :))

You see, this is why the softly softly approach works, because of unreasonable people such as yourself who consider violence to be an acceptable response...

Give us your address, we'll chuck me kebab wrappers in your garden each week...see if your feelings are the same.

Good approach BTW. Steve..

LostThePlot Wrote:

> >

> You see, this is why the softly softly approach

> works, because of unreasonable people such as

> yourself who consider violence to be an acceptable

> response...

>

> Give us your address, we'll chuck me kebab

> wrappers in your garden each week...see if your

> feelings are the same.

>

> Good approach BTW. Steve..

Now I'm CERTAIN that this thread is a spoof! I think I entered some kind of strange twilight zone when I joined this forum!

do do do doo! do do do doo!

Yes, cigarette ends can seem fairly petty in isolation but there is a principle at stake and if the problem persists then I'd also find it irritating. Steve did the right thing since he couldn't establish which neighbour.

GB you seem like a tolerant person. So where would you draw the line? Dog turds, old mattresses, building rubble, dead pets?