Dodgy blokes scoping out our house - asking for directions to LL

DTLP

Hello. Just thought I would put up a quick post in case anyone else in our area has had problems today or is wondering whether or not to bother reporting a similar experience. Spotted two dodgy looking blokes having good look over our back wall. Next they knocked on our door (presumably to see if anyone was in). When I answered they asked for directions to 'the charity shop near the supermarket on Lordship Lane'. I gave them directions and they shot off.

I happened to be leaving the house just then and as I walked down the road I saw them jump into their van and speed off. The van had been parked outside a busy cafe (so it seems a bit odd that they would knock on my door for directions rather than asking a customer or waiter) and although they disappeared following the directions I had given them, I watched them do a u-turn and head away from ED just up the road.

I've reported it to the police (who described it as very suspicious behaviour) but wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so, whether they've reported it? I've passed their vehicle registration number on to the police just in case. I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt and wouldn't want to clog up police time with something minor but this pair just behaved so oddly.... I wouldn't want them to try their luck on anyone else in ED!

I think you've definitely done the right thing in reporting this, DTLP - well done. There seems to be a lot more of this sort of thing happening in ED of late and I think the police need as much info as they can to get a clear picture of what's going on in the area. I live on Barry Road and I my flat was broken into on the weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if it's all connected but who knows. What did they look like? I'm keeping an eye out - moreso than usual. Would be useful to have a description in case any of us see them around knocking on doors of people who AREN'T home.

Sigh. x

The duster guy was the fellow who visited my yesterday from the 'Organisation for Homeless and Jobless People' (see related post).

I noticed suspicious behaviour a few months back so got my phone out and started taking photos. Nothing happened from it on my street, but with today?s technology, I urge everyone else to do the same. Work together for the greater good. This is getting worryingly common in ED.

A few weeks ago, police visited our house as a neighbour had been broken into. A few weeks before this, a neighbours van had been stolen along with all the tools inside it!! Very worrying.

bloonoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Treacle, people go round door to door selling

> dusters and cleaning products, they do it for

> charity, so it was probably that.

xxxxxx

They say they're doing it for charity. They aren't.

This has been going on for years. There have been threads on the forum about it before.

They don't just do it round here - there have been press articles about it. Sorry can't give you links as wouldn't know what to do a search on.

ETA: Great you got a registration number, DTLP

ETA: Ooops sorry, just seen somebody has revived one of the other forum threads. Blush.

Are the Duster people acting alone...?

All their boxes are Identical in content and the way they are packed.

That would suggest to me that

1. They were selling for someone else.

2. That in that case they do not own the products.

3. They do not keep the money they collect.

They may well be paid a pitance by some kind of 'Fagin' character who is is in charge of the set up.

If that is not the case then they may well be a small group that have got together.

The question is do they have a license to sell at the door like this.

Well I don't worry too much about a bit of self enterprise.

But without a Licence they are trading illegally.

Some people have suggested that they are agressive.

I have never experianced this.

I explained to them that I have been out of work myself since Aug 2008 and they were appologetic.

The main problem is that the Merchandise they sell is expensive and VERY poor quality.

and that is the main reason I do not buy their goods.

Fox.

In the past the boys were run by gang-masters - you might see them with white vans handing out packs to boys who then went on the knocker - I am sure there are many different variations of this 'scam' - where sub standard goods are sold apparently for charitable purposes - I know of no 'genuine' schemes where boys are sent out in this way (happy to be advised if there are any).

Sorry about the slow reply to the request for the description. The two blokes were white, 30ish, unkempt, one with gingerish light brown hair, the other with light brown hair. 5' 10'' and 5' 8'' respectively (rough guess). Both dressed in scruffy t-shirts, check shirts, jeans or work trousers. They didn't smell too good and I wasn't very close to either of them! They were driving a small van that was a very very pale, opalescent green. If anyone needs the registration number feel free to PM me. Thanks!