I, for one, am fecked off with "Team GB"

Carter

Yeah, seems a bit harsh on the Northern Irish to appear be left out in the cold.

It seems to stem from the fact that the Olympics use the ISO standard three letter codes for countries - in our case GBR.

GBNI would be four letters and so wouldn't be used, and GBI would undoubtedly result in senseless carnage.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, seems a bit harsh on the Northern Irish to

> appear be left out in the cold.

>

> It seems to stem from the fact that the Olympics

> use the ISO standard three letter codes for

> countries - in our case GBR.

>

> GBNI would be four letters and so wouldn't be

> used, and GBI would undoubtedly result in

> senseless carnage.

But possibly not as much as GBU...

Great Britain is the team that sends athletes from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland plus the three Crown dependencies (Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey) and all but three of the British overseas territories, to the Olympics (Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands and Bermuda all have their own National Olympic Committees).

There's a long-standing settlement between the British Olympic Association and the Olympic Council of Ireland, which means athletes from Northern Ireland can elect to represent either Great Britain or Ireland because people from Northern Ireland are legally entitled to dual citizenship.

Team GB is just a brand name used by The British Olympic Association.

An apology.

Having read and watched interviews with the atheletes after their various successes highlighting the team spirit within the British camp with different disciplines supporting each other in their events, I would humbley like to withdraw my previous comments about Team GB.

Whilst I did argue against the idea of Team GB, I certainly cannot argue against the results and achievements.

Congratulations to all.

To all those on this forum I may of annoyed or pissed off - sorry.

C.