-------------------------------------------------------

> Just returned from Sainsburys

>

> Sainsburys are milking it.. Their manager if they

> have one on site needs to be sacked.

> Absolute disgrace.

>

I think that's a bit harsh.

I imagine the manager has to follow guidelines laid down from above. I may of course be wrong.

And when people, which I presume includes yourself, are going to have to self-isolate for many weeks, you can hardly blame them for stocking up on canned goods etc.

In my view, as I think someone said above, the government should have foreseen this and made provision for it, not left it to individual chains and shops to try to muddle their way through it.

gromit3:16 Wrote:

> but why are they now clearing out the fresh fruit

> and vegetables isle? they already took the frozen

> and tinned vegetables.

>

I don't know about the fruit, but you can make things with fresh veg and freeze them.

Soup, roasted veg, shepherd's pies (or veggie versions) etc.

gromit3:16 Wrote:

> but why are they now clearing out the fresh fruit

> and vegetables isle? they already took the frozen

> and tinned vegetables.

>

> that's why they took the toilet paper, they are

> gonna spend all day eating.

I heard they are going to stock with essentials only (meaning artisan bread replaced with basic bread, fancy stuff removed and basic stuff remains).

it could work - we need bread, milk, some fruit, some meat, white potatoes etc. Vegan alternatives I guess will stay but no need for 20 types of potato.

They, they, they, they!

So much finger pointing

As far as I'm concerned, if you have bought one extra item as a result of this Corona situation then you are part of the problem. Everyone doing the same think easily interrupts the food chain.

We have all done that so while most of us posting here don't agree with stockpiling and think bulk buying should stop, can we also exercise a little compassion towards others (and ourselves) and acknowledge that everyone is responding to fear right now

Many people rely on the budget brands of the supermarkets to get by. M&S for a weekly shop is beyond many people's means. But some of this problem is also the supermarkets supply chains. Supermarkets plan ahead, placing extra orders for known peak times (we never run out of anything at xmas for example, when most people are shopping for a couple of weeks). This is a combination of people stockpiling and a supply chain that is set to normal. The supermarkets have been slow to respond, hence the cynical view that they have had no issue with cashing in from it. Announcement on the News tonight though that they are going to do something, because even rationing is not working. Most shelves were stripped by lunchtime.

My son rang us up and asked if we needed anything.

Just rang 1944 shop empty so do not bother going, when he asked when will there be anything was told try getting here at 0700 and hope.

He said there we people walking round trying to find something to eat.

Just thought people should know.

And it literally is like that....just looking for anything to eat. I saw one woman in lidl trying to buy her weekly catfood shop, only to be told she could only buy 8 packets, not 12. She stated that she had four cats and it had taken her three shops to find catfood and that she wasn't even buying more than she normally does. And she could not come at opening time because she had to work! The people in front of her offered to buy the surplus four instead but the supermarket wouldn't allow it. So its not even human food affected. It is just crazy.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> And it literally is like that....just looking for

> anything to eat. I saw one woman in lidl trying to

> buy her weekly catfood shop, only to be told she

> could only buy 8 packets, not 12. She stated that

> she had four cats and it had taken her three shops

> to find catfood and that she wasn't even buying

> more than she normally does. And she could not

> come at opening time because she had to work!

The people in front of her offered to buy the surplus four instead but the supermarket wouldn't allow it.

So its not even human food affected. It is just crazy.

That's what great about this country. The People.

Not able or allowed to use their discretion.

I'm Foxed ??

Agreed DF. Other shoppers were offering to help her in her distress. She was not seeking to hoard anything. She just wanted her normal catfood weekly shop. Her other items btw were one carton of milk. One pack of celery and one bunch of spring onions. Everyone else could see she was just trying to feed her cats, but not the supermarket manager. What a situation!

Our cat needs special dietary dried food only available from the vet.

We've been there two days on the trot all gone people have been stockpiling cat food.

Vet kindly agreed to save a pack as delivery was expected today and I explained I need to work and would come in later on.

I phoned first as it is not directly on my route home.

Delivery still hasn't arrived and they had run out of their medical neccesites too.

If push comes to shove we could feed our cat normal food (not ideal but he wouldn't starve) But more worrisome is medical supplies not reaching the vet.

This country is in meltdown and its only the beginning!

NewWave Wrote:

> Our cat needs special dietary dried food only

> available from the vet.

> We've been there two days on the trot all gone

> people have been stockpiling cat food.

> Vet kindly agreed to save a pack as delivery was

> expected today and I explained I need to work and

> would come in later on.

> I phoned first as it is not directly on my route

> home.

> Delivery still hasn't arrived and they had run out

> of their medical neccesites too.

> If push comes to shove we could feed our cat

> normal food (not ideal but he wouldn't starve) But

> more worrisome is medical supplies not reaching

> the vet.

> This country is in meltdown and its only the

> beginning!

Have a look online 'seller 'vetimed' on ebay may have it. I get a food supplement for my cat from them via ebay. Or Zooplus, an online pet shop also sells special diet foods.

I drove past DKH at 6.50am this morning (emergency run into the office to approve some payments going out, then straight home) and there was a queue of cars from the top of Denmark Hill down to the Sainsburys turn off one way and back to the station the other way. Admittedly this will just be people queuing up for the opening of the store but I'm not holding out a lot of hope there will be much left on the shelves looking at those queues.

It's just crazy - I can't believe all of those people really needed to do a major shop by car at 7am, but maybe I have that wrong.

I went in to car park at 8 this morning. Car Park full, like Christmas. Drove straight out & queue of cars was waiting to get in. Went to Morrisons. Car park not so busy. Managed to get most things my mum & aunt wanted. No loo roll, flour, bread low, tinned goods low. Long queues at check going right down the aisles but moving. A fight broke out at the front of our queue.

I would suggest avoiding all large supermarkets if you possibly can.

Lordship Lane Co Op, low on stock, no queues. M&S fairly well stocked but long queues.M&S by station well stocked & no queues. Independents seem fairly well stocked but some long queues.

Good to see technology being used to enforce the rationing. But yesterday in Asda, I saw no-one enforcing the limits on items. I think for many shop workers, abuse from customers is just too much for them to cope with. Shopping has just become a hugely stressful thing for everyone.

Hubby was in DKH Sainsburys about 9.30am this morning. Every till was manned, but queues were still down to the rear of the shop. Shelves pretty empty, not much fresh veg, although he reported they had loads of cucumbers!

I spoke to an old age pensioner this morning in Sainsbury?s and she said the queue for people not in this category was huge by 7am. I was there just after 8:30 and it was the worst yet..no trolleys or baskets available, so many people queueing, most shelves empty nothing in the freezer section apart from ice cream..the situation is getting more out of hand.

Upside the local shop is better stocked.

JohnL Wrote:

> This morning was the Over 70s and Vulnerable

> people 1 hour shop at DKH. Did it work then ?

>

> Were the queues because of this ?

I was there about 7.30 and they were only allowing in those within the vulnerable and elderly demographic, others who had turned up were waiting patiently outside. Inside was very busy with long queues at checkout though SmartShop less so. There were many empty shelves. On the whole I think it worked well. I believe ASDA are doing the same tomorrow from when the store opens until 9am