Warning; hornet

I have just been 'buzzed' by what I have tentatively identified as a hornet (it settled for a moment) towards the southern end of Underhill (around Langston) - as these are social hymenoptera (like wasps) if my identification is correct it won't be alone. Very large, very stridently coloured in a 'wasp+' livery, definitely not a wasp. The nest could be in Camberwell Old Cemetery - so walkers beware. If anybody does identify the nest, the council should be informed as the stings can be very painful.

They are not killer beasts from hell, though, so no need for too much panic. The sting isn't very different from a wasp sting, and they are generally slower a stupider than most wasps. Also bigger and louder, so easier to spot!

My Mum used to cut them in half with scissors when they landed on the window-sill...

It?s funny how the sighting of a hornet can cause such panic, when they are the most docile of the social wasps, which will only sting if attacked. I guess they just can?t shake of their bad rep. Have a read of these links, one from Richard Jones, a local entomologist and the other from the Norfolk Wildlife Trust - hopefully they will help to reassure. I?m not sure why the council would need to get involved by the way, as they pose no threat. Would you like them to destroy the nest? If you do, then they have previous, as this is what happened in Dulwich Park last year when a nest was discovered in the ?Nature Conservation? area of the park.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/wildlife/hornets/3203.html

http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/Documents/Species-Leaflets/WF_Hornet.pdf

It is, of course, true that hornets (like most UK wildlife) won't attack people unless they feel threatened (or unless their nest is threatened) - however, also like most of the social hymenoptera (even the even-tempered ones), if they do feel threatened they can 'call-in' nest mates to assist. A lone hornet is less of an issue, but if one close to a nest gets over-excited then they can mass-attack. Being stung by a hornet is a lot wore than being stung by a wasp. I am sure readers of this forum won't upset hornets, though dogs they are walking may be less well advised. If a nest is close, for instance, to a play-ground or school then extermination may still be the best (safest) option.

I am happy for any reader to ignore my warning, or belittle it if it makes them happy.

After a quick online search the first photo looks like Volucella zonaria, as the first segment on the body is chestnut coloured. Can't see this clearly on the second photo to positively id - I'm no hoverfly expert, but I guess they are the same species? Apparently quite common in London.

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/insects-and-invertebrates/13933-volucella-zonaria.html

minder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can anyone identify jamesb and itowill's photos?

I posted some photos on the nature thread in ED section re identifying bees and hoverflies and was informed that hoverflies have only one pair of wings unlike bees and wasps and hornets which have two - researching this myself I found there are hundreds of different hoverflies many of which mimic bees/wasps to deter predators.

I found this attached to the windscreen I believe it to be a horse fly it was so big I could not remove it on my own. On a serious note when I am bundu bashing in the bush I always spray myself with 'listerine' mouth wash. It keeps all those critters at bay they hate the smell of it. Even horse fly's which when I have seen them buzzing under the tree canopy they are a bloody sight massive I have been told they aim for the jugular!