Shops not taking Cash

DulwichFox

Agree gromit and DF, I know people taking cash out, afraid the ATMs might not be filled up, others worried about banks. Almost everyone I have spoke with recognises this virus has not came near to killing the amount of people that flu kills, we know there is no figures on the amount of people who have akready had it. As someone says in another thread, there was a terrible flu in the winter. It had very similiar symptoms as this virus, There were so many younger people had this, Christmas day was a nightmare in my house. My son manages a small work force 30 (young) who all apart from 2 people went down with it. The cough took weeks to go. I wonder who will get the test,when it comes, to check whether they have had it or not. The other thing I think we can be certain of is not knowing what is going on, the link above,that Bobbly gave seems to be giving info about decisions made regarding moivement in europe from when we leave EU the end of this year. Maybe this is not new and I was unaware, plus I haven't read it all. What with the coronavirus overtaking daily thoughts, eg food etc.

gromit3:16 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> can't believe everyone is so happy to jump on the

> cashless society. where the government can track

> your every movement and know what your spending

> your money on.

>

> I use cash everywhere as it is safer.

> It's too easy to lose track of how much money you

> have when using cards.

>

> and I noticed young people don't value money

> anymore because they always use cards.

I don't track everything - I just check balance to what I'd expect - especially at end of month.

If there's an issue you can dig transaction by transaction but it would be good to have a better filter but they are improving.

gromit3:16 - your persistent negativity is becoming rather wearing. Please try and be a bit more positive. These are difficult times for everyone and your constant carping is unhelpful.

> your money on.

>

> I use cash everywhere as it is safer.

> It's too easy to lose track of how much money you

> have when using cards.

>

> and I noticed young people don't value money

> anymore because they always use cards.

edcam Wrote:

> gromit3:16 - your persistent negativity is

> becoming rather wearing. Please try and be a bit

> more positive. These are difficult times for

> everyone and your constant carping is unhelpful.

>

It isn't just him/her, unfortunately :(

Oh yeah lets all smile and pretend the things that bother us isn't important enough to air. Ok it doesn't effect the above posters but this thread is about cash not being taken in shops. Is it carping on when people say how it effects them. How would people feel if problems arose with using your cards, i'm sure you wouldn't like to be told to stop being negative, its not helpful, put yourself in others shoes.

It is trying times, we need to be able to hear one anothers needs and difficulty regardless of our differences.

At the moment I fully understand why shopkeepers don't want cash transactions - not only is cash a more likely source of Covid-19 contamination, but if you've got cash takings you then have to queue up in a Bank (and how many of those are still open around ED?) risking infection from the people in the bank (or indeed Post Office).

This does, of course, disadvantage those who are unbanked or don't like to use credit or debit cards. It's a balance of risk - and shopkeepers are deciding not to take too many risks (which is sort of what HMG is urging us all to consider). Maybe it is selfish, but understandable. How many need not to be ill for their family's sake? Would we want local shops to be closing because their owners or assistants are ill? So that nobody, and not just the uncarded, can shop in them?

There are no easy answers here - just a balance of bad outcomes - which will be worse?

No-one's jumping on anything.

There is no conspiracy against the man on the street.

Some shops are just trying to play it as safe as possible, if they try to stay open, is all.

> your money on.

Even if the shop keeper doesn't touch you or your money he will still potentially catch corona as he will be close enough to you.

Just because everyone has a debit card doesn't mean everyone wants to use them. It's not even safe to use your credit/debit cards in certain shops.

edcam Wrote:

> gromit3:16 - your persistent negativity is

> becoming rather wearing. Please try and be a bit

> more positive. These are difficult times for

> everyone and your constant carping is unhelpful.

>

>

> gromit3:16 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > can't believe everyone is so happy to jump on

> the

> > cashless society. where the government can

> track

> > your every movement and know what your spending

> > your money on.

> >

> > I use cash everywhere as it is safer.

> > It's too easy to lose track of how much money

> you

> > have when using cards.

> >

> > and I noticed young people don't value money

> > anymore because they always use cards.

No one knows what's going to happen, it's bad enough I can't find what I want to buy now I'm being faced with shops not accepting cash. What should I be doing in this situation tap dancing? , singing for joy?

It appears the same people that are complaining about this were also complaining about the self scanners at Sainsburys. I'm amazed that the majority of the self scanner users are elderly and they appear to love it if the evidence is the lack of self scanners at the bays. Stop whinging about the cash and get a debit card, one can limit the spend and also monitor how much they are spending via their banking app. And it is secure.

technology is your friend and it's why forums such as east dulwich form exist. And if you are a technophobe then why are you using the internet now on the forum. COntactless banking is just another form of using the internet, you've come this far you can go a little further. Apologies if I sound condescending...

paulu197 Wrote:

> It appears the same people that are complaining

> about this were also complaining about the self

> scanners at Sainsburys. I'm amazed that the

> majority of the self scanner users are elderly and

> they appear to love it if the evidence is the lack

> of self scanners at the bays. Stop whinging about

> the cash and get a debit card, one can limit the

> spend and also monitor how much they are spending

> via their banking app. And it is secure.

>

> technology is your friend and it's why forums such

> as east dulwich form exist. And if you are a

> technophobe then why are you using the internet

> now on the forum. COntactless banking is just

> another form of using the internet, you've come

> this far you can go a little further. Apologies if

> I sound condescending...

Technology is a "tool", it's not your friend and in fact can become the "enemy".

And yes you do sound damn condescending about people who use cash and make use of the interweb.

Nothing wrong with contactless, some people just prefer the additional security of a pin. When you've had your details bought and sold several times over without your prior knowledge or consent, then and just then you'll realise why people maybe happy to purchase online but prefer to not do so with their banking.

Technology has positives but like anything it has negatives, and also probably don't forget, we were using calculators probably even before you was even born!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, did I forget to mention cash is king, that's what discounts are all about, ask any trades person.

dbboy Wrote:

> Oh, did I forget to mention cash is king, that's

> what discounts are all about, ask any trades

> person.

Paying up front is king however you do it (Gold/Bitcoin included)

If you found a bag of cash buried in your garden these days i think you'd find difficulty in spending it :)