East Dulwich: new cyclists

People want to cycle but need help. If you are a key worker (and lots of people are) then cycle confident can help you. They are free, try here: https://www.cycleconfident.com/

If you are not a key worker but trying to deal with government advice to go back to work but not to use public transport, then you could email [email protected] or your local councillor and ask that cycle confident's service be opened up wider.

The council will be insanely busy at the moment and likely won't think of this tweak spontaneously but you can jog their minds :)

Meant to add by the way, Evans Cycles down at Goose Green is now open. They were closed for a while, then appointment only last week but they're now operating normal hours (10-5) but with the usual social distancing requirements, one person in/one person out rules etc.

Think it's the closest bike shop within & around ED if you need spares / repairs.

Our best local bike shop is Balfe's bikes also on East Dulwich Road, providing a service to local cyclsts for long before Evans moved in. Excellent service, highly recommend. I've bought 3 bikes from them, lovely people.

They have been open most of the lockdown and do a ful range of services.

Another recommendation for Balfe's - I much prefer their level of service, and (unlike Evans) they will do their best to fit you in for any repair/mechanical work on your bike. They cannot quite compete with the likes of Evans in terms of sheer variety, but they are very well stocked with the 'essentials' and have very good mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting thread again with a SAGE discussion of 2m rule, including discussion of how airborne virus is. Not long but tl:dr seems to be "not very airborne, surfaces more important"

Sally

Sally Eva Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to resurrect this old thread but there was a

> discussion on here about how airborne CV was. Here

> is some more info

>

> https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-cor

> onavirus-spreads-through-the-air-what-we-know-so-f

> ar1/

If you want to cycle but need help I can recommend Charlie (see below). DM me and I'll tell you what I know about him and pass his details on.

He is an accredited freelance instructor insured to provide cycle activities through Cycling UK including bikeability training. Key workers get free help, I'm afraid everyone else pays.

As he says: I have delivered lessons up to level 3 as paid and voluntarily to key workers and 1 family group ( of four) using safe distancing guidelines and without issue. I have also ridden with and supported one gentleman who had narrowly avoided a serious incident at a roundabout by not positioning himself correctly. Of the others only those who declared and subsequently demonstrated good control of their bicycle were offered on road training.

The lessons were of 1 hour to 1 hour twenty duration and only 1 person needed two lessons which was mainly due to a complicated commute. All trainees were first met in public spaces namely Dulwich Park, Peckham Rye Park and Clapham Common for a few minutes to go through trainees requirements and check level 1 skills (5 minutes) before moving out onto the road.

Road positioning at junctions were demonstrated by me and then ridden by the trainees with me tailing. One doctor needed assistance with their commute and paid for an ORJA - On Road Journey Accompaniment.

I have been thinking about offering assistance through cards in local bike shops (again) utilising the syllabus outlined. l also believe the subject of cycle training has become confused by the conception that individual training can only go ahead with TFL (or local authority) funding.

-------------------------------------------------------

> People want to cycle but need help. If you are a

> key worker (and lots of people are) then cycle

> confident can help you. They are free, try here:

> https://www.cycleconfident.com/

>

> If you are not a key worker but trying to deal

> with government advice to go back to work but not

> to use public transport, then you could email

> [email protected] or your local

> councillor and ask that cycle confident's service

> be opened up wider.

>

> The council will be insanely busy at the moment

> and likely won't think of this tweak spontaneously

> but you can jog their minds :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there I also do cycle lessons - have been doing around Dulwich for several years now.

lessons are limited to those who can cycle and want to enhance their riding in traffic skills.

Also skill sessions for improvers. All at a safe distance.

I'm a British Cycling Coach and Instructor who indeed set up many courses long before Bikeability happened - getting funding for schools and groups. Mainly to get them to the velodrome!

So please feel free to email me. I'm taking booking sand have full Risk Assessment in place.Fully DBS checked.

Judith Bonner

[email protected]

Hi there. There's no free cycling at the moment.

I do cycling in traffic lessons across South London And am also known for coaching at the velodrome. A while back!

lessons are limited to those who can cycle and want to enhance their riding in traffic skills.

Also skill sessions for improvers. All at a safe distance.

So do send a message if interested?

Take care Stay safe.

Judith Bonner

Hello All,

I am currently unbusy so offering my services to people who need them.

I fix common issues - punctures, clicking noises, rattling and other bike nasties for FREE.

I am based in Brockley but happy to hope over to ED if anyone needs a hand?

I volunteer at the Bike Project in Deptford / Herne Hill have been for 2 years now and fixed all my own bikes. I cant do everything but most things. Commuting in London for 10 years so semi useful mechanic.

All the best and happy cycling.

Oli