East Dulwich: new cyclists

I do ten or so miles a day. This is my main exercise and replaces my commute when I used to go into central London which I did for a long time. I keep my distance from others so not braking any advice and not taking the p by driving out or getting a train to my route. Go for it. It was nice to find a local route as my social rides in the past would be out into Kent. The lighter traffic makes riding on the main road much more of a joy.

You can find our guides to local cycle routes here: https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/healthy-rides/

We are not running our regular Saturday morning social rides because they are so friendly it is difficult to arrange social distancing.

I find cycle.travel good for finding new enjoyable leisure routes. You have to register to save maps but then just stick your beginning and end point in and a useful route emerges. Google routeplanning is hopeless but others that people use are openstreets and cyclestreets. Let's Ride is also good (Malumbo's route comes from there).

Good thread. I leave it to a mate (when I was allowed to go cycling with a mate) to do the route as he's apped and Garmined up. We went to France using the 'quiet' routes, one included the hardly used 1930 bike lane by the A3 towards Guildford, yuk. In France we ended up on farm tracks and the like, on road bikes, getting caught in long grass in a meadow at one point and the best was when we hit a ford at a small river. As this meant going onto stepping stones I was going to take my shoes and socks off (would have slipped in bike shoes) until a chap walking his dog advised of an old stone footbridge 100m upstream. It all added fun and adventure to the ride.

Occasionally I have to resort to Google maps, and on one drive I was getting grumpy as it told me to go through a path by a station, until I realised that my phone defaults to bike routes not motorised vehicles. Obviously my passenger was doing the navigation whilst I was driving.

Dont see why being within two meters cycling past someone is any different to walking other than they have less time to get out the way. Shouldnt people be staying indoors wherever possible at the moment?

The problem here is the rationale that since it is nice and quiet, the roads are clear, so ?I? can continue to get the daily exercise ?I? need. If everyone starts to think the same the roads etc..will not be clear for very long.

My own view is if you are lucky enough to have a garden stick to exercise in there. For those that don?t have a garden a quick foray out is important but it is also possible to exercise indoors.

We are not at a stage in this pandemic where people should be thinking anything other than essential journeys are ok. 10 mile bike rides, jogs or walks, are non-essential unless you are a key worker. I?d have thought most key workers at the end of a gruelling day are unlikely to want a long journey home.

"I?d have thought most key workers at the end of a gruelling day are unlikely to want a long journey home"

Watching my neighbour starting their usual 12 mile cycle ride to work as a hospital anaesthetist - they say the ride home is very useful for decompression - especially as the nights are getting lighter and there are less half blind motorists out and about

Fair enough. Let?s just leave the long cycle rides and similar to the likes of your friend.

You rightly identify the coming change in weather as a reason more people will be tempted to get back out for lengthy bouts of non-essential exercise.

Having just been out on the bike shopping, just saying, do take care. The empty roads seem to have encouraged some drivers to assume that speed limits no longer apply. Lordship Lane from Townley Road especially.

Sally Eva Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And also this one on the psychological problems

> caused by quarantine

> https://coronavirusexplained.ukri.org/en/article/p

> ub0002/?utm_source=Govdelivery&utm_medium=Email&ut

> m_campaign=publichealth&utm_content=UKRI_owned

Yes, again, fair enough. I think what I was referring to and I think we all know this, is the average healthy person who wants to keep their fitness up and is missing the gym or their 20 mile bike ride or regular run and feel that since the roads are currently so quiet this is a great opportunity for them to carry on as usual.If even a quarter of us start to follow suit there will be a problem. We all need to work hard, as hard as possible, to stay in and stop the NHS being overwhelmed as well as try to bring the current situation under control as soon as possible.

There will obviously be exceptions but they will be the minority.

LJC56 Wrote:

> Having just been out on the bike shopping, just

> saying, do take care. The empty roads seem to have

> encouraged some drivers to assume that speed

> limits no longer apply. Lordship Lane from Townley

> Road especially.

Yep. Other cities have created temporary, segregated cycle routes and put in emergency speed limits to help key worker and those who are trying to avoid public transport, as well as relieving stress son the healthcare system as a result of dangerous driving. London... not so much.

I see plenty of Families of 4+ people going out for a jolly bike ride. Looking at the expensive bikes I'm sure most have gardens. Yes its inconvenient but this is life and death. Stay in your own house or garden unless you have to go out. The kids being bored DOES NOT count. The one guideline about out once for exercise may be appropriate in most areas but it means in more densely populated places like ours people are too close too often and it makes it unavoidable for those forced out. I know many older people scared to go out as they cant avoid numerous walkers joggers and cyclists encroaching. what about their mental and physical health?

mako Wrote:

> I see plenty of Families of 4+ people going out

> for a jolly bike ride. Looking at the expensive

> bikes I'm sure most have gardens. Yes its

> inconvenient but this is life and death. Stay in

> your own house or garden unless you have to go

> out. The kids being bored DOES NOT count. The one

> guideline about out once for exercise may be

> appropriate in most areas but it means in more

> densely populated places like ours people are too

> close too often and it makes it unavoidable for

> those forced out. I know many older people scared

> to go out as they cant avoid numerous walkers

> joggers and cyclists encroaching. what about their

> mental and physical health?

I'm happy to take my advice from government, which is go out and exercise once a day. The roads are lovely and quiet and I hardly get close to anyone (ideally that would be zero). Quiet roads are a sliver lining. But tell me where you live and I'll avoid the area. There is a thread on the lounge 'has anyone heard of coronavirus' or words to that effect where you can have a moan in similar company. Today's journey was to Beckenham, and then up Annerley Hill. Not that pretty but a good work out. You will be pleased to hear that I am avoiding Richmond Park, which is too busy at the best of times.

LJ56 - yes the wonkers in cars speeding is even more noticeable, many being businesses quite a lot liveried. There isn't even an argument about congestion delaying journeys any more. I love the BBC using sitcoms to encourage the right behaviours, I'll think about an appropriate sketch to encourage more considerate behaviour by those who have to drive.

malumbu Wrote:

> mako Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I see plenty of Families of 4+ people going out

> > for a jolly bike ride. Looking at the expensive

> > bikes I'm sure most have gardens. Yes its

> > inconvenient but this is life and death. Stay

> in

> > your own house or garden unless you have to go

> > out. The kids being bored DOES NOT count. The

> one

> > guideline about out once for exercise may be

> > appropriate in most areas but it means in more

> > densely populated places like ours people are

> too

> > close too often and it makes it unavoidable for

> > those forced out. I know many older people

> scared

> > to go out as they cant avoid numerous walkers

> > joggers and cyclists encroaching. what about

> their

> > mental and physical health?

>

> I'm happy to take my advice from government, which

> is go out and exercise once a day. The roads are

> lovely and quiet and I hardly get close to anyone

> (ideally that would be zero). Quiet roads are a

> sliver lining. But tell me where you live and

> I'll avoid the area. There is a thread on the

> lounge 'has anyone heard of coronavirus' or words

> to that effect where you can have a moan in

> similar company. Today's journey was to

> Beckenham, and then up Annerley Hill. Not that

> pretty but a good work out. You will be pleased

> to hear that I am avoiding Richmond Park, which is

> too busy at the best of times.

>

> LJ56 - yes the wonkers in cars speeding is even

> more noticeable, many being businesses quite a lot

> liveried. There isn't even an argument about

> congestion delaying journeys any more. I love the

> BBC using sitcoms to encourage the right

> behaviours, I'll think about an appropriate sketch

> to encourage more considerate behaviour by those

> who have to drive.

the governments advise is quite clearly 'Stay at home'. That is the advise. They advise you to stay at home. You are 'allowed' to leave the house to do one form of exercise. They dont recommend that you leave the house once a day to exercise. They advise you to 'stay at home'. So if you are happy to take the governments advice, then stay at home.

Good heavens, if people are like this after two weeks what on earth will it be like after two months?

To remind you of the advice: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household

any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home

malumbu Wrote:

> Good heavens, if people are like this after two

> weeks what on earth will it be like after two

> months?

>

> To remind you of the advice:

> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronav

> irus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/corona

> virus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

>

> You should only leave the house for very limited

> purposes:

>

> shopping for basic necessities, for example

> food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as

> possible

> one form of exercise a day, for example a run,

> walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your

> household

> any medical need, including to donate blood,

> avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to

> provide care or to help a vulnerable person

> travelling for work purposes, but only where

> you cannot work from home

You seem surprised that people pay little or no attention to government requests? There seems to be SO many people around here that couldn't give a toss... but a few who do

malumbu Wrote:

> Good heavens, if people are like this after two

> weeks what on earth will it be like after two

> months?

>

> To remind you of the advice:

> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronav

> irus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/corona

> virus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

You dont seem to understand the difference between advice and what is allowed. You are

>

> You should only leave the house for very limited

> purposes:

>

> shopping for basic necessities, for example

> food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as

> possible

> one form of exercise a day, for example a run,

> walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your

> household

> any medical need, including to donate blood,

> avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to

> provide care or to help a vulnerable person

> travelling for work purposes, but only where

> you cannot work from home

You dont seem to understand the difference between advice and what is permitted. 'Thank you to everyone who is saving lives by staying at home this weekend.'(Johnson.) I repeat the advice here is stay at home and save lives. You are allowed out for essential exercise. You arent advised that you should go out and Hancock has basically said today that a ban is coming on all outdoor exercise because people either havent understood the message or are ignoring it. They are to blame for not being clear enough in message but some who are capable of understanding are choosing not to.

The right to take daily exercise is enshrined in law. Only Parliament could change it.

The BBC reports that at his daily CV press conference Hancock "raised the possibility of an extension of the lockdown" but dismissed it. He said the government is not looking at tightening the rules on exercising outdoors.

?What we are doing is being absolutely clear that the current rules must be followed,? he said.

He said the rules are designed to include exercise to protect people?s physical and mental wellbeing.

We can be grateful for that democratically provided protection and the thoughtfulness which, even in a crisis, considered the needs of all (he didn't say that last sentence, I did).