dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Growlybear - on another thread reported somewhere

> on EDF, a cllr had spoken to them about this very

> subject and had seen the invoices which showed the

> wholesaler costs. You stated you found an

> alternative supply, so buy them on ebay and cease

> slating this local retailer.

I'm not the one who wants to buy masks. I was initially responding to the OP who asked where they could buy masks locally. I told muser where I had seen them locally, but pointed out how expensive they were. Perhaps Kristals should try buying their supplies from eBay too!

Is The Good Life Centre recognised as a verified and certified health practice? If not, why believe and trust what it says? If a complete stranger (even one from, oh, I dunno, a community reupholstery and DIY workshop, handed you a leaflet on the top deck of the No 12 or outside your local chippy would you take it, never mind act on it?

https://www.fast.ai/2020/04/13/masks-summary/

The graph in this link - if correct - suggests that simply making mask wearing compulsory would have halted the pandemic and made lockdown unnecessary. Masks are more effective at protecting others than protecting the wearer and appear to explain the very different trajectory in places like S. korea. No downside, minimal cost, nothing to lose by trying it.

Sorry to chip in as know it's gone a little off-question, but prompted by previous post as I'm not as convinced by the linked article and the specific point on South Korea. It is not as if the only difference between South Korea and Italy is mask-wearing. South Korea did really impressive and comprehensive testing and tracing, as did some of the other Asian countries whose trajectory has been similar. Correlation doesn't mean causation basically. Look at Germany, the European country which has, along with Iceland, done the most testing and tracing as far as I can see, and where the number of deaths is significantly lower than Italy, Spain, France and UK.

Personally, I'm just waiting for official WHO/UK advice to change, if it does, and sorry again as I know this is about purchasing masks, on which there might be a distinction between "proper" PPE ones that those on the frontline need and could still be in short supply vs more basic (but potentially, subject to evidence, still useful especially in terms of not spreading one's own germs) which, as others have said, seem to be available or makeable.

Essentially, completely agree people should be able to get and wear masks if they want them, in a way that doesn't deprive those on the frontline, while of course needing to be careful of the risks identified by others - their potential as germ accumulators and false security lullers.

It is worth remembering that regular mask wearing communities (mainly S.E Asian - China, Korea, Japan etc.) have very different views on normal social distancing and contact - Japanese bow and tend to shake hands only with Westerners, most don't exchange kisses on greeting under any circumstances. Mask wearing (which many will do to protect others if they have colds) is symptomatic of a different social approach, and it may be that (rather than just the physical presence of a mask) which is impacting spread.

I also feel that it would be dangerous to think that mask wearing will protect you - it's about protecting others. But, as we are all 'mask virgins', we may just get it wrong and think we are making ourselves safe. Remember that the reason why doctors and nurses normally wear PPE (and change it between patients) is to protect the patient, not themselves. Our own medical and care staff are not used to wearing PPE to protect themselves, except in very special cases - such as Ebola and now Covid-19.

just_browsing Wrote:

> Sorry to chip in as know it's gone a little

> off-question, but prompted by previous post as I'm

> not as convinced by the linked article and the

> specific point on South Korea. It is not as if the

> only difference between South Korea and Italy is

> mask-wearing. South Korea did really impressive

> and comprehensive testing and tracing, as did some

> of the other Asian countries whose trajectory has

> been similar. Correlation doesn't mean causation

> basically. Look at Germany, the European country

> which has, along with Iceland, done the most

> testing and tracing as far as I can see, and where

> the number of deaths is significantly lower than

> Italy, Spain, France and UK.

>

> Personally, I'm just waiting for official WHO/UK

> advice to change, if it does, and sorry again as I

> know this is about purchasing masks, on which

> there might be a distinction between "proper" PPE

> ones that those on the frontline need and could

> still be in short supply vs more basic (but

> potentially, subject to evidence, still useful

> especially in terms of not spreading one's own

> germs) which, as others have said, seem to be

> available or makeable.

>

> Essentially, completely agree people should be

> able to get and wear masks if they want them, in a

> way that doesn't deprive those on the frontline,

> while of course needing to be careful of the risks

> identified by others - their potential as germ

> accumulators and false security lullers.

look at European countries where mask wearing is compulsory (Czechia: total 163 deaths) or compulsory in shops (Austria: total 393 deaths). For comparison, total official deaths in UK stands at 12,107, making the UK one of the most badly hit countries in the world. Part of the blame for that lies with the government's herd immunity strategy, which caused them to delay any serious social distancing. But in the fullness of time I think we'll discover absence of masks played a significant role too.

Please don't draw conclusions from those countries where masks are compulsory. Take Austria for example, much lower population density, smaller population, more rural, loads more testing, follow the rules?. All will have an impact, as well as communication campaign and the speed measures were put in force. Do you remember when it was thought that Latin/Norther Europeans may be more susceptible? I've just had a look at the stats and it is difficult to drawn conclusions beyond Austria and Germany have done things better, but Switzerland where you would expect to be similar is several times worse. Sweeping generalisations of course.

malumbu Wrote:

> Please don't draw conclusions from those countries

> where masks are compulsory. Take Austria for

> example, much lower population density, smaller

> population, more rural, loads more testing, follow

> the rules?. All will have an impact, as well as

> communication campaign and the speed measures were

> put in force. Do you remember when it was thought

> that Latin/Norther Europeans may be more

> susceptible? I've just had a look at the stats

> and it is difficult to drawn conclusions beyond

> Austria and Germany have done things better, but

> Switzerland where you would expect to be similar

> is several times worse. Sweeping generalisations

> of course.

How about a paper published in Nature?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

I don't understand the antipathy towards masks. What's the downside? They cost almost nothing and do no harm, yet there's plenty of evidence they reduce R0 for coronavirus.

Not antipathy, rather there are lots of factors and it is not just the wearing of masks. Nice article in Nature - key finding being "Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.". Ie those coughing and the like - I'd hope they will have self isolated. I've worked as a scientist, and in technical areas for many years. But I leave this down to the experts - Chief Scientist, Chief Medical Officer, related fields and their respective teams.

Feel free to call me a cynic but . . in my view the ONLY reason the government is not advising the wearing of masks by the public is that as a country we don't have enough.

Just take a look at how official NHS PPE instructions have changed over the last month or so in favour of more PPE as more supplies are becoming available to front line staff.

I simply don't trust them

George Orwell Wrote:

> Feel free to call me a cynic but . . in my view

> the ONLY reason the government is not advising the

> wearing of masks by the public is that as a

> country we don't have enough.

Yes I think the government and WHO both advised the public against wearing masks for exactly that reason. Both need to update the guidelines. If governments see masks as a way of helping to end lockdown, it's inevitable there will be a policy change and universal use quite soon. In Lombardy in Italy people face fines or prison if they go out in public without masks. Expect similar here in due course.

Evidence is that masks are effective - pretty much three-fold - for stopping asymptomatic carriers of the virus spreading it, aerosol spreading can reach more than 2 metres - so masks can protect, and finally, they are symbol we are in a pandemic and it changes peoples behaviour - stop touching your face, be sensible etc.

Hong Kong has 4 deaths. The govt there said no need to wear masks, but people wore them anyway - it's socially unacceptable to be out without a mask. Govt also introduced testing, mandatory hospital and quarantine for those with covid-19.

A final point - if the govt said lockdown is over, but you have to wear a mask, would you wear masks or still save them for front line staff? The UK govt and epidemiologists got this wrong - strategy has failed completely.

So to conclude, buy masks, wear them - they work and are effective.

I Bought a Black Washable Mask from Dulwih DIY. it cost ?6.75.

It is really a Dust mask for Decorating..

I later found virtually the same Masks on line for ?8.75 (for 5 masks)

Just checked that Ad. and now ?13.99 for 5 masks.

Possibly due to Sadiq Khan suggesting making the masks compulsory.

There are so many Ads on line for Masks (packs of 50) at reasonable prices.

However there are so many scams.

DulwichFox

Yes, Ebay in particular has been swamped by scams recently - every thing from masks, gloves etc to isopropyl alcohol.

Thankfully there are several pointers as to which are the scams but these scammers work on percentages so someone gullible enough will buy. Most are located overseas even though the stated location of the goods is the UK.

The Clue is that if the NHS cannot Source masks then the chance

of members of the public getting hold of them is all but impossible.

Sadiq Khan just wants us all to stay at home and Never go anywhere without one. (That just is not practical. )

But Khan is thinking about how much money he can make in FINES

like he does with every other scheme he Dreams up.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Foxy I doubt that is Khan's primary objective !!

It's Khan's Only objective on Everything he supports.

Congestion Charge -- It's OK to Congest as long as you PAY

ULEZ -- It's OK to pollute as long as you PAY.

Masks ??? Go out without one by all means.. BUT we will FINE (Charge) you

OK as long as you PAY

Khan really does not give a HOOT (Polite version) about any of this.

He just sees another opportunity to Make money.

Even if that means going against the Medical Experts.

And what is really worrying is he is in charge for another Year.

Foxy

Someone link to a site with disposable masks that arrive in 7 days.

Oh - Tiger Supplies seem to be back up now

https://www.tiger-supplies.co.uk/Catalogue/personal-protective-equipment/respiratory-equipment/disposable-masks/3-Ply-Face-Mask-Pack-of-50-105-04-05

but as that's a proper PPE site you can only buy 50x

This one is same - https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/surgical-face-masks