Prime Minister moved to Intensive Care - non political

dbboy

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It would be political suicide for any government

> to berate or abuse the NHS after this.

> The government's behaviour has angered people for

> long enough but I think now there would be riots

> if they carried on as they have before.

whilst I agree that the NHS is looking even more unassailable than before it's laughable echo chamber thinking that the government's behaviour has angered people long enough, certainly the left... but they won a stonking majority in December and are polling at 54%.

Common sense would indicate that every day of the week.

Except this is UK, where people vote according to what FB stories passed to them by friends of friends convinced them most.

The NHS has been run-down for years and will continue to be so I would expect, there's big money to be made privatising (further) the NHS and a pesky entire population is not going to get in the way of that.

People already voted to ditch the NHS before Xmas. Now they show their support for NHS by doing some claps outside their front door of an evening. Hmm, I wonder which the NHS staff could use most.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> It would be political suicide for any government

> to berate or abuse the NHS after this.

> The government's behaviour has angered people for

> long enough but I think now there would be riots

> if they carried on as they have before.

People are wasting their time thinking the NHS will be sold, Trump's administration is far more interested in their huge pharmas supplying drugs to the NHS, that's where the money is for them, which will mean increased costs for us. If Trump wins a 2nd term that's what he will push for in any UK/US trade deal. It's all a bit of a moot point at the moment, Trump might not win, and the big economies of the world will be far more interested in dealing with the economic/financial fallout of this pandemic...

Even if any MP argued for full privatisation of the NHS, there will be no public appetite for that after this pandemic. You only have to see the grim picture emerging from the USA to see the failings of their healthcare system.

Completely agree that big pharma is where the push will be. This is where the focus should be in watching trade talks moving forward. Worth pointing out too that pharmaceuticals are our biggest export after motor vehicles to the EU. So we are also in this game. But the issue around patents and licensing is what shapes that game.

Another thing to watch will be who monopolises any effective treatment or vaccine that emerges for COVID19. The ethical approach would be waiver patents and licensing (and some pharma companies may well do that) but research and development is a very expensive thing and pharma companies rely on the profits they make from that licensing to pay for that. We already have people dying from conditions that can be treated, because either they or their health care systems can not afford to pay for the drugs that could be used to treat them. So we shall see.

???? Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Who are these people? "????"? "StraferJack"?

>

>

> Lockdown so boring that I checked in for an

> argument. But this place so bad nowadays that the

> only people worth arguing with are the same ones

> as 13 years ago

🤣🤣🤣

Once you're out of ICU or HDU and on the ward the whole thing becomes much easier and jokes are usually allowed.

I remember waving frantically to my visitors from a general ward in Kings, forgetting the IV was in my arm and ripped it out with blood going everywhere. Luckily by then mishaps didn't make my condition worse. The nurses immediately drew the curtains on my bed and gave me a lecture about getting over excited :)

Apparently BJ made a poor judgement quip a few weeks ago with manufacturers about the need to make more ventilators coining this as operation last gasp. It may be total bollox but it is just as daft as raising the stories about three silly people in a country of 60 odd million who made disparaging remarks about the PM.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/boris-johnson-speaks-operation-last-gasp-joke-lack-ventilators-fight-coronavirus-12413785/

JohnL Wrote:

> Once you're out of ICU or HDU and on the ward the

> whole thing becomes much easier and jokes are

> usually allowed.

>

> I remember waving frantically to my visitors from

> a general ward in Kings, forgetting the IV was in

> my arm and ripped it out with blood going

> everywhere. Luckily by then mishaps didn't make my

> condition worse. The nurses immediately drew the

> curtains on my bed and gave me a lecture about

> getting over excited :)

:))

malumbu Wrote:

> Apparently BJ made a poor judgement quip a few

> weeks ago with manufacturers about the need to

> make more ventilators coining this as operation

> last gasp. It may be total bollox but it is just

> as daft as raising the stories about three silly

> people in a country of 60 odd million who made

> disparaging remarks about the PM.

>

There's gallows humour- which is what the PM displayed, and there is downright nastiness which is what the others displayed- AND it was directed at Boris- AND by 3 Labourites.....get real!

> https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/boris-johnson-speak

> s-operation-last-gasp-joke-lack-ventilators-fight-

> coronavirus-12413785/

To be fair, I think both are equally thoughtless and as bad as each other. Those Labour officials have been punished (rightly so). Boris suffered no consequences for his language about muslims, gay men and black people however. It is all unacceptable and if it is going to be rooted out from politics, then it ALL has to be admonished in equal measure. Until then, it remains a case of pot simply calling the kettle black.

I thought it was a genuine and heartfelt speech ????. And I would hope it leads to a more appreciative line of policy, not just towards NHS workers, but to all those key workers, from the min wage shop workers and drivers, to the refuse collectors and so on. They are the people that really keep everything going in a crisis.

I also appreciate that Boris stressed the international contribution to our NHS. After the toxic language of the last three years towards migrants, it was good to finally see some recognition of the huge contribution many of those migrants make. Not sure if that will lead to a similar epiphany from Priti Patel, but we can hope.

I still find it difficult to believe that Boris Johnson .. Our Prime Minister

was treated by the NHS and Not in a Private Facility. If such a facility exists. ??

Surely security would have him isolated in a separate ICU location. ??

Then I would think (and accept) that on his release from the ICU he would of been placed in a

Private Ward at St, Thomas'

It's all been made to believe that he is just like us. 'We are all in this together'

But we are not. 10,000 'Ordinary' People have died in our Hospitals and Many Hospital Staff.

Do not get me wrong. I wish Boris a speedy recovery to full health.

DulwichFox

Just a couple of points.

Re; NHS vs Private. In a pandemic, you would expect the NHS to be the primary lead, because it is a public health issue, with a government led response. No-one would be going into private care on this one, unless as a last resort (ie lack of NHS ICU capacity), and it would be the NHS referring them there.

As for his care at the hospital itself. He is the Prime Minister, with all the security concerns that entails. So of course he would be separated. The actual care he would receive though would be no different to that of ANY patient.

So for me, neither of these things are an issue, and when it comes to the actual virus, he absolutely is just like the rest of us. That is why he ended up in hospital in the first place.

Time will tell though if his own experience changes government policy towards the NHS and public sector in general.