constant hum

Maybe the Covid 19 restrictions preventing folk from visiting their second homes down Brighton way/Berkshire has caused these noises, mixing with the hoi polloi for this long is rather stressful.

• 6 months later...
We just moved to the area (Muschamp Road) and have been experiencing a pulsing, low hum noise. We can hear it in the morning and (as mentioned here) during the night. Did anyone have any luck in identifying the cause? Stumbled across this chain so forgive me if there's another more up to date conversation about the issue. Thanks!

I'm hearing it, independently of my tinnitus. I thought I left the boiler on, or next doors boiler was noisy, but no.

VicCraven Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi.

>

> No, no resolution.

>

> And yes, we can still hear it. Especially at night

> and first thing in the morning, which is probably

> more to do with less other background noise.

>

> We are North Cross Road end of Ulverscroft Road.

>

> Vic :)

Thanks for all of your accounts / suggestions! @milan05 - I used to live above a 24 hour shop and it isn't a generator type of sound but good flag :) Will do some more digging - might just be another consequence of lockdown / ED being quieter than usual. Em

The lower the frquency, the further it will travel through a solid medium (ie. the ground). It's surprising how far the noise from a generator/substation will travel, especially if it's bolted to a concrete slab on the ground.

You could get an old/cheapo stethoscope and listen to the ground at regular intervals to track down the source. Best to do it at night and have a good response prepared for the police unless you want to end up in the maudsley.