Non essential shops are still open - why?! (duplicate)

Exactly. People queueing sensibly for goods is not killing people. Again cafes and restaurants are allowed to sell hot and cold food for delivery or pick up. Ice cream is food. So allowed under the rules.

Also i am astonished at the stupidity of saying big supermarkets should be able to sell alcohol, ice cream and other non essentials but you want small, local businesses who sell this to be forced to shut? How is it less safe for me to quickly pop to my local off licence than queue up outside Sainsbury's for 30 minutes? That is mad and will just ensure the only shops left standing at the end of this are big chains.

Well said cyclemonkey - if people queue sensibly and follow distancing guidelines why shouldn?t they have an ice cream, and why shouldn?t the ice cream shop have some chance of survival. The level of judgement dished out on here and in society is getting silly - if it?s not buying an ice cream it?s sitting in a park with someone from your own household or jogging along a pavement. Can we just be a bit more realistic.

Because they are a shop that is allowed to be open - a cafe or restaurant selling hot or cold food for delivery or pick up.

You might as well ask why DIY shops are allowed to be open but not clothes shops. Because the government rules allow one to be open but not the other.

It really isn't that hard to grasp.

I do wonder how some of the people on here are going to cope when lockdown ends. What will they complain about then? Who will they judge? What meaning will life possess?

Hopefully there will be some irresponsible dog-owners, smokers and mothers with wide buggies for them to moan about to each other.