> -----

> > I also kind of like the idea of putting it in a

> > museum... lying on it's side, complete with

> > graffiti. With an explanation of both the slave

> > trade and the BLM movement.

>

> Excellent idea!

Or in a tank of water a la Damien Hirst

Photographs and film of statue and its final destination for the museum, melt down the bronze and cast a new statue.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also kind of like the idea of putting it in a

> museum... lying on it's side, complete with

> graffiti. With an explanation of both the slave

> trade and the BLM movement.

>

> Melting it down is fine too, though...

A review of London statues is to be done - and some are very outdated anyway. Is there an argument to remove all the old ones to museums even though it would change the City.

deleted rambling bit about cones :)

Yes, have a review but make sure new ones reflect all opinion, or maybe just put up abstract ones that everyone can decide in their own way. Or put the money into moving monuments, like trains and trams and buses.

Practically all of Bristol is a monument to the slaves he exploited (but then slavery was a legal practice at the time and had been for aeons,) as was the exploitation of poor children as young as three by the Northern mill owners and cities up there are monuments to those abuses.... thank goodness most of us have moved on (after all there is still plenty of modern day slavery going on all over the world including the UK- and as for sex slavery in all its pernicious and blatant forms..)

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A review of London statues is to be done - and

> some are very outdated anyway. Is there an

> argument to remove all the old ones to museums

> even though it would change the City.

>

> deleted rambling bit about cones :)

Personally , if the mayor has money to burn then he should be investing it in anti gang and knife measures to stop so many of our youth getting killed (lives matter)

Once that has been solved then yes by all means review the statues and spend money on them but eyes on the bigger priority of saving lives

After all the statues aren't going anywhere (on their own) 😱

Plus I would argue that the range of statues that have gone up over the past 20 years HAVE broken with the moulds (no pun intended) of the past. So the history of statues are in themselves a history of the shift in the range of achievements we value, both past and present. A good example of that was the push back on a statue of Thatcher in Parliament Square.