Meat the future - is it the future?

But I'd argue industrialisation was only possible because of the one-off (if centuries-long) possibility of exploiting cheap highly concentrated energy in the form of fossil fuels. Unless you regard those as limitless, I don't see how these game-chaning solutions can be endlessly engineered. And I repeat that no civilsation has gone on for ever.

Surely you would know the author - isn't she a prominent vegan campaigner? Why don't you all b*gger off and let us eat what we want?

Also, the claims for the health benefits of a vegetarian diet need to be treated with caution, especially when coming from someone who is clearly not impartial. A lot of people seem to think that it's the not eating meat bit that provides the health benefits, whereas actually it's the eating lots more vegetables, fruit, nuts that can have a positive effect (provided you also take care to ensure that you get a proper nutritional balance, if necessary with fortified food and supplements). Eating endless bowls of pasta and rice will not make you healthier, especially compared to a balanced diet that includes sensible amounts of meat and fish.

That article is truly appalling. I don't even eat much meat (though having struggled with anaemia in my teens I would never omit it entirely - a few times a week keeps the iron levels up) and I tend to agree plenty of people in the West eat more than they need, which is not healthy.

But seriously: "There have always been juicy steaks, BBQ ribs, greasy roasts and loins of lamb to keep our bellies full and our waistlines bulging" - what planet is this person on?

The usual British diet for generations was: Sunday roast, Monday cold meat leftovers, Tuesday remaining leftovers with bubble and squeak, Wednesday stew up the bones etc with dumplings, Thursday bread and dripping, Friday fish, and Saturday perhaps a meat pudding (largely suet). Basic vegetables and fruit/pickle filled the gaps.

Note that a single joint serves the whole family for a week. I appreciate times have now changed (apparently the writer doesn't) and they can change again - humans are very flexible. But no, this writer thinks there are meat-eaters that "can?t get by without devouring a whole corpse at every meal"

Apart from the highly prejudicial tone ('corpse' should at the very least be 'carcass' but even so, this is disparaging), does anyone know a single person like that? I once heard of a friend of a friend's father who liked to have meat three times a day - but this was touted as unusual and extraordinary behaviour - and there was no suggestion he actually ate a whole animal each time.

So vegans need hyperbole, historical ignorance and rudeness to win their argument? No thanks.

I fear I am ranting. So will just add: Everything in moderation; much better than extremism that simply ignores the facts.