Dulwich in the 1970s

Oh, I don't know, I'm sure I remember a few years ago a chap in one local pub was dishing out disco biscuits one Saturday night !!

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One was an Elderly chap. He was known as 'Mr.

> Biscuit' He used to bring biscuits in to the pub

> and share them around. Lovely old fellow.

> The likes of which will never be seen in these

> parts again.

> Foxy

Sue Wrote:

> There was also a cobblers on North Cross Road, a

> pet food shop and a greengrocer, all now gone.

I think I live in the converted Cobblers :)

Cafcax Wrote:

> Is it a coincidence that E.Dul has a pub called

> The Actress & another called The Bishop?

> I've never known if the two pubs shared owners or

> some other connection.

Yep they did, the same company that did up the Bishop took over the Upland - Scott (now owns Meat Liquor). & also Victoria Bellenden

I don't remember the cinema in Grove Vale, only the cinema vaguely in Denmark Hill which then became Dicky Dirt's jean place.

I used to drive my dear Mum down to Lordship Lane for shopping in International food store and on the way noticed that there was a place called the Palace of Peace? Was there for a good few years.

Sue, it was a watch manufacturer / wholesale supplier I believe, before being vacated and subsequently demolished.

I tried to get some people together as a syndicate to buy the place (kicking myself now !) but a couple of them being feet-draggers caused us to miss the boat.

Sue Wrote:

> I remember it after it closed down.

>

> Didn't it become something else before it was

> demolished and flats built there?

"The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 21st October 1972 with "The Burglars"(Le Casse) starring Jean-Paul Belmondo. On 7th June 1973, the building was sold to the Divine Light Mission and became a Palace of Peace Temple to the followers of 15 year old Guju Maharaj-Ji from India.", according to http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/29273.

Harry, when I went to Saturday morning pictures in Wimbledon, when it was only 6d, there was always preliminary communuity singing, with organ accompaniment and words on the screen. Seven year olds singing along to Daisy Daisy, A You're Adorable, Lambeth Walk, Tipperary, Old Father Thames, and so on. And sometimes demonstrations and subsequent sales of things like yoyos. It was a different chain though, Gaumont. Did you get that kind of thing at the Odeon?

Yes, the East Dulwich Odeon became the Palace of Peace.

'BARA' says on another thread

"I lived in Ondine Road at the time and everyone was fed up with the hoards of cars that came each week to listen to the Guru - this was around 1971/2" https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,492794,507015#msg-507015

After that it became London House, home of the London Clock Co. - the company is still in existence

I remember the Odeon in Grove Vale.

When I was 11 (1963) my Aunty took me to see a film. The Incredible Journey.

I lived in Peckham back then.

Used to go to Saturday morning pictures Peckham Odeon when I was younger.

It was 6d or perhaps even cheaper. Cannot remember.

Lots of kids used to 'Bunk in'

There was a serial each week.. Don Winslow.. ??

Foxy.

doogsey Wrote:

> It's not quite Dulwich in the 70s, but this

> fascinating recent upload does cover Denmark Hill

> in the 60s:

>

Fascinating stuff, particularly the bits & pieces re Peckham & the Surrey canal

Clutterqueen Wrote:

> I don't remember the cinema in Grove Vale, only

> the cinema vaguely in Denmark Hill which then

> became Dicky Dirt's jean place.

>

Crikey, I had completely forgotten about Dicky Dirt's!

More recently (well, early nineties!) what is now the larger hospice charity shop was a place renting videos.