Anyone in East Dulwich Ever Had a Basement Conversion?

LondonMix

I was just wondering if anyone here had ever had a basement converted. We are considering doing this but just wanted to hear others thoughts and experiences on this. The thought of all the disruption is already making my partner break into hives but I think the extra living space has got to be worth it in the long run.

Having one as we speak (although in Sydenham not ED) Thye great thing is that the workers are contained downstairs and so not too much disruption in the rest of the house, The results we have seen from the company we are using are pretty impressive.

I'm glad someone mid-process still thinks it worth it! Is your place detached? We are thinking of doing it to a terraced property with all the additional agro that's likely to entail. If its not too impolite, can I ask how much its costing you and what you are having put in (utility room / kitchen / toilet) if anything and how long they think its going to take? I am trying to go into the debate with my other half prepared to make a full sales pitch, otherwise I won't make it past the first hurdle...

Yes, that sounds about right for converting circa 300sqft. But when you think about the stamp duty and estate agent fees involved with moving, it can easily be 50k-60k alone. I will be lucky to be break even on it though if I do ever sell as the house values psm in ED only barely recover the cost of the added space... Still, I want to stay in my house and my neighborhood and that's worth a lot to me...

I just want to make sure that its not a total nightmare to have done and that in general people think it was worth doing at the end of the day.

You won't get your money back in ED, I wouldn't have thought. The basement conversions I've seen have been quite dark with only one window, and feel cramped due to the low ceilings. Buyers are likely to consider it an "extra" space rather than proper living space, so the standard price per sq ft won't be accurate.