Nick Clegg

????

No and to be honest I don't think the government has really thought about that either....which is why LA admissions to bed and breakfast accomodation have shot up by 40% (B&B being far more expensive than an average private sector rent).

Benefit changes are required to kick in as soon as need changes, so that suggests no leeway of adjustment time. But as is often the case with things, if the problems are too commonplace when they do kick in, probably some softening measure will follow.

I know for example that changes are about to be made to the frequency of ESA assessments, because the government has accepted that it is completely wrong that an ESA recipient can win a tribunal and then be called in for reassessment a week later (and find themselves back in the same process). There is evidence that ATOS are harassing 'softer' claimants in order to make their quotas, but those softer claimants are often the most vulnerable as they are predominently mental health cases, along with those suffering from other 'unseen' illnesses and disibility.

Back on the children front though....I've long held the belief that education can be a way out of poverty, so I passionately care if the poorest children are living in overcrowded households. Homework clubs can be a valuable outlet for those children. So facilities such as libraries, community centres and any spaces where children can go are very important, and they need to be open outside of school hours. Southwark in my experience though, has been very good at giving support to the many volunteer groups that work hard to keep community centres and other facilites going.

Homework clubs are great. I volunteered at one when I lived in NY and they keep kids out of trouble, offer extra support / tutoring and allows them to surround themselves with other like minded kids.

We may disagree on the impact of room sharing but we can definitely agree on that.

• 3 months later...