lack of masks in Sainsbury's

Do remember there are valid reasons for adults not wearing a mask - including their own health conditions and if they are accompanying someone who relies on lip reading for communication. A friend of mine is profoundly deaf and without the ability to lip read would be very isolated. For very young children a parent in a mask may be quite scary as well (and young children are not required to wear masks).

Certainly some non-mask wearers will be simply ignoring the rather-more-than-just-advice - but some few others will not be wearing a mask quite legitimately.

There are only a tiny amount of people who might find wearing a mask difficult for health reasons. That vast majority of people who are not complying just aren't bothering for their own selfish reasons. Once the seasonal coughs and colds begin to emerge, compliance will have to be enforced.

Not forgetting our immune systems job is redundant in a germ free enviroment. We must recognise the vulnerable but lets also recognise the position vvulnerable have been put in. The amount of people who are frightened of peoples reactions to them being unable to wear a mask, people judging and watching for recognisable conditions to there idea of disablement.the belief the vast majority are just selfish. Oh what a caring enviro for the vulnerable.

We do not like in a germ free environment though, and our immune systems are constantly working. We only get ill when the immune system is challenged temporarily. Mostly it catches up and gets us well. Sometimes it does not.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to point out that most people refusing to wear masks are being selfish, because they are. They have no genuine reason for not complying and will no doubt be the ones coughing and sneezing all over the place when seasonal colds kick in. They are also causing more fear for those who genuinely do have to shield. We wear the masks to protect others from our own germs if we are carrying the virus. That is an act of consideration. Those who don't wear one, don't care who gets ill, including the genuinely vulnerable.

Blah Blah. People are coughing and sneezing every year. Are you saying people who don't wear masks are so selfish they will not take into account other people whilst doing this. There is many people with breathing problems who cannot wear a mask. There are many people with other disabilities who are exempt, some believe they would rather have an asthma, panic attack etc for fear of covid or to believe they are being less selfish or whatever reasoning they may have. Not all vulnerable people feel more fear from people not wearing masks. Many vulnerable people do not wish to be taken to hospital, nor seperated from there family. You are making assumptions that most people not wearing masks don't care about who gets ill. Whilst you do not seem to recognise the health effect of vulnerable people being caught between this black and white view.

Alice,can you remind me why docters had to text vulnerable patients to remind themm to not be frightened to keep appointments, etc. I was replying to Blah Blahs comment on people generally shielding. The "if they are ill" added by you puts a different context to what I actually said but it opens it up a bit. I actually know many people especially older people being cared for at home by family and yes Alice, my family included. have felt safer at home even when hospital has been advised. Mostly through fear of contacting the virus.

TE44, we are in the midst of a pandemic. So cease with the word salad and twisting my comments. I am not talking about people with asthma and you well know it. I am talking about perfectly healthy people who simply refuse to follow the advice for everyone's protection out of their own selfish refusal to understand why they are being asked to wear one for the few minutes they spend in a shop.

Appointments, cancelled then when hospitals were quieter than normal, re-booked. We mustn't forget at the height of deaths, more than half from care homes, we were advised not to wear masks. I am assuming many people do not trust the information being given and are aware how contradictive it is. Eg don't go to hospitals or gps, you are protecting the vulnerable. Please go to your doctors keep hospital appointments. There was recognition that there advice was effecting the vulnerable. The vulnerable are again being put into a situation over masks, it is not as simple as look how good and selfless I am or look how selfish these people are, by Autumn they'll be coughing and sneezing in peoples faces, they don't care. If only they were all over 75 it would be easier to identify them. Who knows maybe laughing will have guidlines soon, a paper bag to laugh in of course there can be exemptions for under 3s and some health problems.

Blah blah, I am not talking about just people with asthma either. I believe people are taking the moral high ground and amongst that it is creating disabled people being targetted. Individually people do what they believe is right, not everyone, but through these times I have saw people who have been asked to oversee guidelines being followed by others. I have noticed on different levels there is a number of people who have abused there position and got carried away with whatever power they now believe they have. This is a common problem with humans and I believe it is part of creating that bad and good simplicity. I hope this makes sense, I cant read it back at the moment.

I have bad asthma but wear a mask when required to. I had contemplated going into a Sainsburys Local for the first time since March but didn?t bother as few were wearing a face covering, two men went in coughing profusely and social distancing was totally ignored. I did not go in.

When we go shopping hubby and I wear visors as I have to rely on lip reading. I wear a mask when shopping alone but having a conversation with a shop assistant wearing a mask is a case of pot luck as with limited hearing I have to ask them repeatedly to speak again

Pugwash, there is a card or you can show from your phone a request to ask if a person wearing a mask can remove it, for you to understand what there saying. I'm afraid I can't find it. It was sent to me, but I would not be comfortable asking. It would be handy in an emergency ( if you can remember where it is on your phone)

I think its so wrong for others to judge people for not wearing a mask there could be medical reasons has to why also mental issues has to why someone cant wear them. And to be honest with all that going on in the whole wide world if its only face masks that you have a issue with then why bitch about it. Also its people freedom has well. Everyone to there own. I bet you never approached anyone to ask why there not wearing a mask.

Sad thing those refusing to wear a mask for medical reasons

unlike a friend of mine who is fit no breathing problems.

who claims medical grounds.

The ones who have genuine problems, not wearing, are the ones

who should be wearing for then own safety more than anyone else.

The problem is that it's the people who just don't want to wear masks who are making it harder for the small minority who can't wear them for medical reasons. If I went into Sainsbury's or any other shop and saw 5 per cent of people not wearing masks I would be pretty relaxed and give those people the benefit of the doubt that they had a reason for not wearing one. But if I go in and 40 to 50 per cent of people don't have them then I am inclined to think that there are a lot of people that just don't care. NickyJohnson, did you really say "everyone to their own"? I am afraid that is a moronic phrase to use when we are talking about a highly infectious disease.

I can't quite believe that there is even a debate on this issue. Wearing a mask should be become second nature in my opinion, whilst we try to get to grips with suppressing this virus. Picking up a mask on our way out, should be as automatic as gathering our keys/phone etc. I accept there is a small minority who can't, and I wouldn't want those people to feel shamed and anxious when out and about.

I travelled on the tube today for the first time since March, every single person was wearing a mask, yet in local shops and on buses, way too many people aren't bothering at all.

Pugwash here is a link to the card, if you scroll down page a bit. It can be downloaded from government website.Again its a little confusing as who can request this. I imagine its also for people with profound hearing loss, travelling out on there own, who can't hear nor understand.as well as for people who lip read.

I think people need to look at the affect this is having on disabled people. People are capturing the abuse on phones, maybe some people on this thread should watch how attitudes evolve.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/2-face-mask-exemption-cards-18655744

Amazing that at a London airport airport last week 100% of the people managed to wear a mask. Because they really wanted to go on holiday and didn?t want to risk being kicked out. Boiling hot overseas tourist ?must see? outdoor monument- 100% of the people wearing one. People will wear one when it suits them to.