Re: Freeview - How Many Channels in East Dulwich

Yes, I retuned after each switchover date, and several times since. I wouldn't have thought it necessary to move the aerial either but I gave it a try to see if it would help. It didn't. I tried one of those booster type aerials too but that was even worse. The plethora of new but crap channels on my TV list doesn't compensate for the loss of all the BBCs, ITVs etc. Bizarrely, I can get 5USA fine.

Again probably a stupid question, but on my system the BBC etc channels came up as numbered in the thousands rather than at the beginning.

I haven't been bothered to change them, although I could and probably should do, because it doesn't make much practical difference to the way I use my telly, but could it possibly be that you may find them right at the end of all the crap channels?

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Again probably a stupid question, but on my system

> the BBC etc channels came up as numbered in the

> thousands rather than at the beginning.

>

> I haven't been bothered to change them, although I

> could and probably should do, because it doesn't

> make much practical difference to the way I use my

> telly, but could it possibly be that you may find

> them right at the end of all the crap channels?

If you have BBC channels in the normal place and in the 800s, that's an indication that those are from a neighbouring tv region.

It might be worth doing another 'First Time Installation' which will wipe your channel list and start from scratch.

The full list of Freeview channels is on Wikipedia. Also worth noting if your TV is HD ready, it won't show the HD channels if tuning from your tv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_terrestrial_television_channels_(UK)

The Minkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue: I do have the the channels listed, the

> problem is that they eithe return 'no signal' or

> the picture is so broken up it's unwatchable.

>

> That's very interesting Bic Basher. What were

> those of us with an HD Ready TV meant to do to

> retune, do you know?

xxxxxxx

It has just come back to me that when I retuned mine, there were instructions to clear all the existing channels first and then start again from scratch.

In case that's of any relevance!

ETA: You also need to delete duplicates of the same channel, ie the ones without a strong signal.

ETA: Yes, sorry, it's what Bic Basher said, you do it as a First Time Installation. But then still delete the ones without a good signal.

Thanks for the explanation. As far as I can tell I did it correctly. I found a switchover guide for my TV yesterday which says to select the Auto Retune option which is what I did. It completely clears old channels and repopulates from scratch. I'll see if I can find any more information. Not been too bothered til now, it's been quite nice having a break from TV but with the darker evenings creeping in the idea of curling up on the sofa in front of the box is becoming increasingly attractive ;-)

Hi Sue,

Apologies, the term I used is for tv sets which only receive standard definition services. That's the vast majority of TV channels on the Freeview platform. If your set can receive HD channels, they'll be between channels 50 to 54 (BBC1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD and C4 HD). Normal sets or boxes won't pick up those channels.

Another suggestion for removing the channels from the 800s is instead of starting from scratch with an automatic retune which would pick up those channels from a neighbouring area, you can manually tune those frequencies that are from the Crystal Palace transmitter.

This can be done by going into your menu and selecting the manual tuning option, then type in 23 for the BBC channels, 26 for ITV1/C4/C5 group, 25 for the group of channels that includes ITV3, 22 which includes Pick TV and Challenge, 28 for channels including 4seven and 4 Music and if you have HD type in 30.

If you get yourself a freeview HD box, (I bought mine from Amazon, massively discounted for just ?40.00 or so) you can also get BBC HD (2 channels), plus ITV & Channel 4 in HD. Makes sense, if you have a 1080p or 720p TV. You may need a 'proper' digital aerial to support the signal though.

Another local option is to go for a BT Infinity 2 broadband account, and get the BT Vision package, which includes countless additional free on demand TV channels, including the best of american (HBO, ABC, National Geographic, Comedy Central) plus free HD movies. I know they do an introductory deal, but since switching from Sky many years ago, I cannot believe the value and variety that BT Vision brings for just ?14.00 per month (compared with ?50.00++ for Sky).

I really have nothing to do with BT, but have been super impressed with the entire Broadband/TV package, with outrageous download & upload speeds, and would heartily recommend it over Sky, unless you are an avid sports viewer.

If you want live HD, you still need the HD Freeview box.

The aerial shouldn't be an issue Brian, all aerials installed in ED are of the same type before digital switchover. The most important thing is having the right equipment to convert the HD signal such as your ?40 HD box.

Some parts of the country have required a new aerial as the 'group' they were in changed before switchover, but we in the London region didn't have that issue.

Also you won't benefit from the HD picture if you're connecting your tv using the Scart lead, it has to be via HDMI, which means older televisions (the ones with a bulky back known as CRT's) can't decode the HD element.