Peckham Rye Park Consultation - Redevelopment of Bowling Green

AylwardS

• 2 weeks later...

Maintaining a bowls or croquet lawn properly is expensive, it's only really viable if a community club takes it on and provides free labour and reqular use, as they did for the bowling green in Dulwich Park. And with several bowls and croquet clubs already in the area, is the extra demand really there?

A couple of tennis courts seems like a better bet, it's a lovely location and there's a shortage of courts in that part of the Borough. All the local tennis clubs are overrun at the moment and one of the clubs might be willing to take it on and raise the money to build and maintain them, with a small fee for use, as they have done in the Bromley parks?

The problem with tennis courts is that it limits the number of people that can use the space at any one time. Even if fully booked, it doesn't seem like a good use of the space. Also, do we really want the noise of tennis balls breaking through the peace of the Japanese and Sexby Gardens?

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The problem with tennis courts is that it limits

> the number of people that can use the space at any

> one time. Even if fully booked, it doesn't seem

> like a good use of the space. Also, do we really

> want the noise of tennis balls breaking through

> the peace of the Japanese and Sexby Gardens?

Completely agree. We all need areas of tranquillity, especially in urban areas, why destroy it?

first mate Wrote:

> Blah Blah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The problem with tennis courts is that it

> limits

> > the number of people that can use the space at

> any

> > one time. Even if fully booked, it doesn't seem

> > like a good use of the space. Also, do we

> really

> > want the noise of tennis balls breaking through

> > the peace of the Japanese and Sexby Gardens?

>

> Completely agree. We all need areas of

> tranquillity, especially in urban areas, why

> destroy it?

If you want peace then leave it through benign neglect to simply become a regular grassy part of the park like any other. But if you want the space actively used then tennis/multisports is the most likely to be sustainable. Better that than crazy golf which is what is what the Council seem to be looking at.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> I'm surprised to hear tennis balls being described

> as particularly noisy!

Have you not heard the grunts of professional tennis players that people imitate when playing

Loud enough to wake the dead in Nunhead cemetery I would like to bet

I had suggested sessions of yoga, tai- chi, etc.. in summer? Quite a few people already go to this area to do this anyway so that could be developed for the community on a pay as you go basis? The ?club? house could be used for massage, physio and perhaps yoga in winter? Perhaps I am way off base but it just feels a natural fit and could benefit all ages.

first mate Wrote:

> I had suggested sessions of yoga, tai- chi, etc..

> in summer? Quite a few people already go to this

> area to do this anyway so that could be developed

> for the community on a pay as you go basis? The

> ?club? house could be used for massage, physio and

> perhaps yoga in winter? Perhaps I am way off base

> but it just feels a natural fit and could benefit

> all ages.

I like this suggestion. There is no reason why it can not be a multi-use facility (makes perfect sense) for relatively quiet activities that fit in with the surrounding ambience. There is plenty of space elsewhere around the park for noisier sports.

And just to add, that even crazy golf, doesn't have to be a permanent use. Crazy golf apparatus can be brought out and stored at will.

Shrieker Wrote:

>

> Tennis balls breaking the peace? Dont be silly. On

> several occasions this summer me and my mates have

> sat in the gardens with cans of beer and loud

> speakers, and no one seemed to be too fussed about

> our presence. Not even a dirty look. So, why when

> 5 or so loud, tipsy friends gathering with music

> in the gardens is not a problem, why would the

> noise of a tennis ball be?

Tennis balls being hit all day every day in that area of the park is not only a poor use of the space numbers wise, but also is a disturbance to the surrounding gardens. Had I passed you with loudspeakers, I would have asked you to move or turn them off. The truth is that most people would be afraid to ask a group of people disturbing the peace and quiet to move or cease. So don't presume to know what anyone actually thought about your disregard for others. I suspect you are trolling anyway and it never happened ;)

Please, whatever it may become, not another caf?. It?s unnecessary and clich?d. A centre used as a nature reserve or educational facility would be of use to children and adults. Sport is ok but it?s always a minority of the whole population that plays it, and when you split it into tennis/bowls/etc. it becomes even more niche.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> I don't want to go down the rabbit hole too much,

> but are you saying you live near a tennis court

> now and the sound of balls being hit and bouncing

> is annoying, or are you saying that you imagine it

> would be annoying to live near a tennis court?

Neither. I am making the case for any use being in proportion to what immediately surrounds the space - namely tranquil gardens. There are other parts of the park dedicated for sport and noisier activities. I think it is perfectly reasonable to protect the quieter spaces where they exist.

Shrieker Wrote:

> You've of told me to move or turn the speakers

> off?! i dont think you would have mate. You would

> have regretted it, knowing my lot you would most

> likely have ended up in one of the ponds lol.

Yes I would have and had you or your plastic trolls assaulted me, I would have seen you all in troll court. Grow up.

How rude. You should tone it down. I walk my dog in the park everyday. It's a gorgeous space and well respected by all who use it. The picture you paint is completely inaccurate. It will be guaranteed that you are not a regular user. Save your ill judged spiel and awful language for twitter. Silly man.

The Green should be retained for croquet/bowls or other lawn games. The Pavilion could be hired for suitable uses.

There is not a need any more ?fun entertainment?. There will be very few quiet areas left.

The Park cannot sustain an increase of footfall which more ?fun entertainment? will bring. The Sexby Garden and the Japanese Garden have already been damaged by use as playgrounds.

The Friends of Peckham Rye Park website www.peckhamryepark.org has more comments.