Urgent: Help Reopen Closed Melbourne Grove and adjacent roads

FairTgirl

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, perhaps one or a handful of residents

> supported by pro CPZ campaigners from outside the

> area. My only point is that the ?interference? of

> outsiders charge cuts both ways.

Except for the fact that the "charge" was entirely invented by opponents to the LTN in the first place. It's a conspiracy theory!

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> "the final say is with the residents" Sadly not.

> Final say is with the council as we saw last time

> when streets that had asked not to have a CPZ

> ended up with one.

Have you read the final consultation report for the East Dulwich CPZ?

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s84107/Appendix%202.pdf

Besides I was referring to residents vis a vis ?outsiders?

Yep, that consultation report shows how the council deliberately sought the views of people who lived outside the consultation zone and who were therefore not automatically sent the consultation pack).

"Banners were placed on railings in five locations in East Dulwich and posters placed in notice boards to alert residents and visitors of the parking zone consultation. The council also created posts on social media (Twitter and Facebook) to promote the consultation.

I'm not surprised that they did this because that report also shows that 100% of the responses from visitors were in favour of a CPZ.

?The biggest proportion of responses (80%) were from residents followed by visitors (16%) businesses (98 responses, or 4%) and organisations (<1%).?

Visitors views were not included in the stats, you will see that visitors are shown at the bottom of each table, outside the main results.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> This is also farcical, given what is going on:

>

> "Goose Green primary school expressed concern

> about the effect of the zone on recruitment of

> staff who wish

> to drive to their workplace"

We could advise them currently: On yer bike!

Why on earth would you want to re-open Melbourne Grove? As a resident of this road for over 30 years, I have seen the rapid decline in air quality, safety and a huge increase in noise pollution.This is totally due to the huge increase in traffic and the general noise pollution from cars. It has been an unsafe street to cross at busy times for some time and has hugely devalued the quality of life for local residents. Cars have had priority on this street for too many years. I know for a fact that I have seen a local resident regularly driving their precious child to the new school in the road. Too idle to walk and quite willing to be totally selfish and clog up the road with their car. Then I have witnessed the same parent driving back and parking outside their home. It must have been all of 800 yards. Cars do not, and should not have priority over the interests of the local residents. I totally agree with the new measures, and wish them to remain permanent, and make our environment greener and cleaner for children and adults alike.

micromacromonkey Wrote:

> first mate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDispl

>

> > ay.aspx?id=500000049

> >

> > 2069 now

>

> 2069 people who don't realise that driving to the

> shops down the street of your choice is not a

> fundamental human right.

I don't drive - I don't even have a driving licence. I signed the petition because I think it is not fair to treat people living on the streets that take the extra traffic now with significantly more noise and pollution - do you?

"Why on earth would you want to re-open Melbourne Grove? As a resident of this road for over 30 years, I have seen the rapid decline in air quality, safety and a huge increase in noise pollution.This is totally due to the huge increase in traffic and the general noise pollution from cars. It has been an unsafe street to cross at busy times for some time and has hugely devalued the quality of life for local residents. Cars have had priority on this street for too many years. I know for a fact that I have seen a local resident regularly driving their precious child to the new school in the road. Too idle to walk and quite willing to be totally selfish and clog up the road with their car. Then I have witnessed the same parent driving back and parking outside their home. It must have been all of 800 yards. Cars do not, and should not have priority over the interests of the local residents. I totally agree with the new measures, and wish them to remain permanent, and make our environment greener and cleaner for children and adults alike.

"Cars have had priority on this street for too many years. I know for a fact that I have seen a local resident regularly driving their precious child to the new school in the road. Too idle to walk and quite willing to be totally selfish and clog up the road with their car. Then I have witnessed the same parent driving back and parking outside their home. It must have been all of 800 yards."

Cars use roads because that is what they were built for, pavements are for for people.

Surprised after 30 years you now have to say something on a local forum about a road that has always been used as different route to Lordship Lane.

I am all right jack comes to mind lets others have the problem we have a nice closed off road now.

I was walking around this area at 9am this morning after school drop off. Grove Vale was no busier than usual. Melbourne Grove was a delight, it was lovely to see people milling about, drinking coffee outside the new coffee shop without the old rat run traffic. East Dulwich Grove was a bit busier, with a bit of a queue onto Lordship Lane. But no traffic chaos in the slightest.

"Cars have had priority on this street for too many years."

So, when one moves to live on a street and it has traffic, you sort of know that's the deal. And it IS a road, after all.

Cars have priority on streets - yes, pedestrians have priority on pavements, cyclists in cycle lanes, airplanes above airports, shipping on rivers and the sea.

It sorts of works like that..

"Cars use roads because that is what they were built for, pavements are for for people."

Roads have been around much longer than cars! Most of East Dulwich's roads were built decades before the Model T was even invented. The Plough was a coaching inn. Traffic patterns have changed radically since then, but also in the last ten years. Uber, Amazon and their imitators have radically increased the number of journeys being taken. It hasn't "always been this way so shut up".

What we are seeing right now in London is the consequence of trying to move millions of vehicles along streets not designed for the density of population or car ownership, and with too many people focusing on whether they're ENTITLED to drive along a street whenever they want instead of whether they OUGHT to. And that's why we are ending up with hard rules.

bubbachumps Wrote:

> Is there a DON'T reverse the road closures

> petition as well? Otherwise can't see how the

> council will know which is more popular!

To be fair to everyone I propose

a) to close every single road in Dulwich (except for buses, ambulances etc)so everyone can enjoy living on quiet streets with much reduced air pollution

OR

b) ban everyone who lives on the roads closed off to traffic from driving - thus reducing the number of cars that are currently filling the remaining roads

I'm sure that everyone who is happy with the current road closures will like these options since you have the entire community wellbeing at heart.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> "Cars use roads because that is what they were

> built for, pavements are for for people."

>

> Roads have been around much longer than cars! Most

> of East Dulwich's roads were built decades before

> the Model T was even invented. The Plough was a

> coaching inn. Traffic patterns have changed

> radically since then, but also in the last ten

> years. Uber, Amazon and their imitators have

> radically increased the number of journeys being

> taken. It hasn't "always been this way so shut

> up".

>

> What we are seeing right now in London is the

> consequence of trying to move millions of vehicles

> along streets not designed for the density of

> population or car ownership, and with too many

> people focusing on whether they're ENTITLED to

> drive along a street whenever they want instead of

> whether they OUGHT to. And that's why we are

> ending up with hard rules.

What we are seeing now in Dulwich is the consequence of trying to squeeze more traffic down already crowded roads by closing a load of other roads.