?10 Smoking Licence

fish

basically it is being proposed by those who know better that if one wishes to purchase cancer sticks,then you need to be a)over 18 and b) purchase a license which you will have to produce in order to by the fags. no license no fags.

as an occasional smoker myself,ie a pint and a fag man it sounds a bit daft,as to be honest the proposed price is only the cost of 30 fags anyway,so its not like its prohibitive. i can see it being aimed more at the younger generations who might baulk at spending a tenner for it,but for the likes of the hardened smoker it wont deter too many.

saying that im looking forward to the day when i,ll be accosted outside shops by kids looking me to buy them fags rather than 4 cans of skol.

The proposal by Professor Julian Le Grand, forcing smokers to apply for a ?10 "permit" to buy cigarettes, which could help people to quit,if they had to apply for an annual permit to "opt in". Apparently, this proposal is one of the Health England group's suggestions to be sent to Lord Darzi, the health minister.

fish Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The proposal by Professor Julian Le Grand, forcing

> smokers to apply for a ?10 "permit" to buy

> cigarettes, which could help people to quit,if

> they had to apply for an annual permit to "opt

> in". Apparently, this proposal is one of the

> Health England group's suggestions to be sent to

> Lord Darzi, the health minister.

Prof Le Grand describes his ideas as "Libertarian Paternalism" - which would make my truly libertarian friends cringe. Another proposal is to give school children a "healthy food" swipe card to encourage them to eat apples rather than Big Macs.

I think it's an example of a government in terminal decline. Th "Cones Hot LIne" was a John Major government equivalent.

"Less government interference - more individual liberty" that's my cry - say boo to the nanny state.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> fish Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The proposal by Professor Julian Le Grand,

> forcing

> > smokers to apply for a ?10 "permit" to buy

> > cigarettes, which could help people to quit,if

> > they had to apply for an annual permit to "opt

> > in". Apparently, this proposal is one of the

> > Health England group's suggestions to be sent

> to

> > Lord Darzi, the health minister.

>

> Prof Le Grand describes his ideas as "Libertarian

> Paternalism" - which would make my truly

> libertarian friends cringe. Another proposal is to

> give school children a "healthy food" swipe card

> to encourage them to eat apples rather than Big

> Macs.

>

> I think it's an example of a government in

> terminal decline. Th "Cones Hot LIne" was a John

> Major government equivalent.

>

> "Less government interference - more individual

> liberty" that's my cry - say boo to the nanny

> state.

>:D<

cdonline Wrote:

> I think it's not that bad an idea.

>

> If the problem is discouraging kids from smoking

> and that cigarettes are widely available to those

> under age, it is quite a neat idea.

>

> I haven't heard any other solutions that might

> work.

Legislation / licensing doesn't change anything - unless it is rigorously enforced. Who would enforce this daft proposal and how many of us want this level of intrusive enforcement?

fish Wrote:

> Cassius Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Surely we're missing the point - this is a

> chance

> > to make MORE money!

>

>

> What next?

Err, ?72 to get a f***ing passport!!!! That is obscene. Why the f**k should I have to pay a significant sum of money for the right to move upon the face of the planet? And who the f**K CAN JUSTIFY ?72???? eXCUSE THE RANT! nORMAL SERVICE WILL BE RESUMED SHORTLY.

I think its total bollox and yet another chance for the government to scam yet more money out of the average smoker as if the millions they make on the revenue and taxation of cigarettes isn't enough already. The government has to put on a front of pretending to want people to stop smoking (by imposing bans etc. putting the prices exceedingly high etc. advertisments etc.) yet on the other hand still likes and needs the revenue and taxes it gets from them, so to do this will:-

1) get the backing of all those self righteous non-smokers, as they are all just anti-smoking anyway and coming down upon the heads of those who do smoke will just be another plus for them;

2) Bring in yet more money for the government under the guise of "oh its to discourage and help the teenagers to stop" while secretly hoping they will actually be lifetime smokers themselves so as to keep the coifers full and keep the revenue coming in whilst appearing to try to help people stop.

The next thing will be a drinking pass to be purchased and shown at the bar when buying a pint, or how about a fatty or fast food pass? These are all killers aswell, I don't smoke and stopped 5 years ago but for the love of God is there no end to this?