Over 50s..where do people meet?

gerry

Agree with previous poster - my friends range from their 30s - 90s, I am early 60s, but have been told my attitude to life etc is more like a 30 year old - even my kids tell me at times that I am more aware of events, music etc than they are - grandkids are surprised when I talk to them of recent groups/top ten etc. I would hate to live in sheltered housing or a retirement village ( available for all over 55 years of age) variety is the spice of life.

Burbage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's a bingo hall at the Elephant. And they do

> tea dances at the Blackheath Halls. But I can't

> think of anything nearer. That's not to say the

> seniors don't get out for a natter once in a

> while, but the Post Office does neither drinks nor

> dinners.

Mmmm, I think it may be your age Burbage. Bad eyesight comes to us all eventually. The OP said 50, not 80

Also not 50, but made a couple of good friends who were 60 when I attended British Military Fitness classes on Peckham Rye. I doubt they go to Bingo (that said, I used to go to a weekly Bingo fundraising thing when I was in my early 20s and it was great fun!)

I am fast approaching my half century and find that my tastes have changed over the years from the point of view of my idea of a good night out. I still like to be in lively places but I need a seat if I am going to be there all night as otherwise my back starts aching. I am also pretty intolerant places with loud music

(because I can't hear as well as I could in my twenties plus I find it pretty irritating) and crap toilets (weak pun intended).

We went to a gig at the Brixton Academy a couple of weeks ago which was fun, but I think that my concert going days are numbered as I didn't like the hours of standing about and the general pushing and shoving - again something I wouldn't have minded a couple of decades ago.

We therefore tend to avoid noisy places full of 20 somethings (that I would have adored when I was younger) in favour of somewhere a bit more comfortable and a bit less loud - plenty of bars and pubs to be found with a good mix of ages that accommodate this though. If I were to be looking to meet new people this is the sort of venue I would go to. Going out and meeting friends in a decent pub/bar is something I can't imagine growing tired of.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The only thing that I really feel different about

> from a couple of decades ago is ease of getting

> home. The night bus no longer seems funny any

> more and taxis seem to be several times more

> expensive than they used to be

Xxxx

The night bus is the pits,but hopefully by that time you are so drunk it all passes you by:))