Do you suffer from insomnia?

pebbles

Hi everyone. Basically I started blogging and crafting because I spend every night awake as I've now been suffering from insomnia for nearly 8 years.

I was very nervous about writing it as it's so very very personal however I hope that I might be able to pass on some advice to others or just so people know they're not alone in suffering from insomnia.

Thanks for reading x

http://pressiesbypebbles.com/to-sleep-or-not-to-sleep-thats-an-insomniacs-question/

Wow, you have all my respect! I've had sleep problems all my life but nothing on the scale of yours. I follow a 'sleep hygeine'routine but it's not always successful. My latests trick is to get a few hours of sleep on the couch before bedtime (about 2 hours) then about another 2-3 hours in bed (toss/turn/hours sleep/toss/turn - repeat). I get up at 5.30am for work, full days work then back to sorting out kids (7 & 11). I live for holidays, time when they're are no expectations or routine. I must end up sleeping about 10/hours a night on hol! Bliss!!

Your blog is amazing pebbles. I had insomnia some years back and yes, what you say about it making you feel insane rather than tired was definitely my experience. You and anyone else who suffers from it on here has my utter sympathy. I was very lucky in that acupuncture cured it very quickly (once i tried it), and now I know I have to be pretty careful with alcohol as that was definitely a big factor in mine. I am not a brilliant sleeper still alhtough I am so much betterand I watch my daughter go to sleep with such envy ! I used to frequently go to work and drive around all day (I was a tv producer) after having not had one wink of sleep for 3 nights. Madness. And no-one can possibly understand if they haven;t had a taste of it.

very very amazing blog.

I really hope you find some relief from it soon, I would say I had a good decade of it (worsening) before I found a solution, I hope it is just a life stage thing for some, lets hope so and you can move on from it soon.

susypxx

ps a friend of mine recently asked me to do the cancer research moonwalk with her and I don;t think could understand why I was so horrified- but the idea of messing with my sleep is just too scary - i haven;t even flown far since my acupuncture, I am totally resistant to messing up my bedtimes. Definitely no-one around me understands this they just think I am completely anal!!

Wow Pebbles, that's an awesome blog. Just want to say "hang in there, well done and thank you for sharing". You're clearly a strong and determined woman, and I wish you all the best with the battle, your family and your work. I'll certainly think of your blog when next I find myself moaning about sleep deprivation (caused purely by new baby).

Stay strong...

x

Thank you so much everyone. Both on this page and by private message - it means so so much. I was so nervous when I pressed publish this morning but I'm thrilled now. Quite a few people have said they're going to try other things that I mentioned to see if that helps them - fingers crossed. Thanks for all your support x

Annoyingly my site went down on Monday morning and has only just gone back up now so please try again if you've tried to read but weren't able to.

I've had such amazing feedback both on here and via my blog - a few people I've been able to help as well which is just fabulous. I'm so so pleased that I wrote it now.

Thanks everyone

Annoyingly my site went down on Monday morning and has only just gone back up now so please try again if you've tried to read but weren't able to.

I've been able to help a few people as well which is just fabulous. I'm so so pleased that I wrote it now.

Thanks everyone

Hi Pebbles, thanks for writing about this on your blog and sharing it with us, it's very brave to be so honest.

All I can say is that I'm full of admiration for you coping with family life and everything that the day to day throws at you on so little sleep and for still managing to do your crafts, you're pretty super human

xx

Hi Pebbles. Your story resonates. I'm really glad to have read it. I first had sleeplessness forced upon me by work and by the needs of my children. But over the years, I seem to have developed my own relationship with insomnia, which now has a life if its own. I know very well the whirlpool of decreasing circles, where my exhaustion is so severe, I am too tired to feel tired and I do not recognise my need to go to bed. I have no advice at all, but am very greatful for your blog. It's comforting and reassuring and has given me a lot to think about.

Oh WorkingMummy, it's just horrendous it really is. I hope this comes out the way I mean but it's really reassuring knowing i'm not the only person awake all night!!

I also just wanted to shout out for the most wonderful lady ever - I'm not going to mention her yet until she gives me the go ahead to out her - but I've had a wonderful email from a lady who practises in reflexology (not something that I've done yet) and she's cured another insomniac and she has offered me free reflexology once a week for 6-10 weeks to see whether it works. I burst into tears when I read her offer, truly amazingly generous. So I have huge hope and fingers, toes and everything crossed.

Thinking of you WM - if you want to talk about anything that I've tried or just to talk you know where I am

xxx

Hi Pebbles,

I had reflexology when I had chemotherapy. I tried acupuncture for it (since it had worked for my insomnia) and was really shocked when it made no difference to my side effects. So I tried refelxology just because it seemed like a nice thing to do. And it definitely helped quite dramatically with some of the side effects so in my opinion it's a proper medical option. I really hadn;t expected it to do anything and it did.

Will keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you too.

susypx

Thanks susyp - i've only just read your addition to your first post - so so so true. people don't understand why i struggle going away for the night and I have to be really "needy" when i say i have to have 2 bedrooms - i.e. i can't share with the kids - cos it just mucks things up even more than normal cos i have to lie there silently if i'm in their room together so totally totally get you re not doing moonwalk.

thank you for confirming re reflexology - i'm feeling really positive about it.

Thanks for your kind words

xxx

I'm utterly overwhelmed by the feedback I've had on here and on my blog. I can't thank you all enough for the support and encouragement - I can't tell you how much it means to me. I've just left my children as Mr Pebbles and I are going away for a week. Suggested by my Sleep Psych but basically I'm going away to take sleeping pills for 8 nights (and not have to be up at 7 with the kids) in the vague hope that it might teach my body what it's like to sleep again. Once I've got over the initial sadness of saying goodbye to the kids we are now in a state of happiness - a week of walking, talking, reading AND sleeping - AMAZING.

I've written about what has led us to going away here so would love you to read http://pressiesbypebbles.com/theres-always-a-silver-lining/

Pebbles,

I truly hope your weekend away turns your insomnia around or at least re-trains your body clock a little. I just read your post and ended with tears in my eyes. I am amazed at how strong you are and how you have managed to build a family without any sleep! I take my hat off to you and your husband.

AND you even put your awake time to excellent use with your gorgeous crafts. Wow, you are an inspiration!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Pebbles you're a wonder, I hope you and your husband (he sounds ace!) have a lovely week away, what a great chance to really relax and spend proper time together, you really deserve it. Try not to talk about your kids all the time or sit scrolling through pics of them on your phone, hoho! We always end up doing that when we get time 'off'.

Thank you all so so much for your kind words.

For those who are interested I've just written a quick update (see link below) on our week away for me to sleep. It was wonderful, truly wonderful. So fingers crossed after 7 nights of sleeping pills my body might have learnt a trick or two in how to stay asleep.

http://pressiesbypebbles.com/our-week-away-sleeping-quick-update/