How to recycle or dispose of a mattress

No40

I wondered if anyone has suggestions? It's a foam one, double, not damaged but over 20 years old so not suitable for re-use. The recycling centre doesn't accept them and Southwark's bulk collections are already booked up till nearly Xmas. There doesn't seem to be a tip, though I guess I could drive it to Wandsworth's and pay.

There seem to be a lot of companies offering this service for a price if you google "mattress disposal"

Not sure if they are charging too much or if they're not entirely legal (last thing you want is your mattress dumped by someone else).

I did have a look as there are apps that do that kind of thing. Prices are surprisingly high and some look dodgy.

Could always chop it up and put it in the green bin I suppose but seems like rubbish laundering.

No40 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I did have a look as there are apps that do that

> kind of thing. Prices are surprisingly high and

> some look dodgy.

>

> Could always chop it up and put it in the green

> bin I suppose but seems like rubbish laundering.

Shhh but I tried that with a sofa once as too big to move out - took me ages to split it up

Just dump it somewhere quiet at an abnormal time of the night, 3am tends to be an ideal time. If you dump on the street, eventually the council will have to come and collect it, despite them trying to say they dont do it- they do.

If you want rid of it quicker, find a nearby brook, or some woods.

No40 Wrote:

> I did have a look as there are apps that do that

> kind of thing. Prices are surprisingly high and

> some look dodgy.

>

> Could always chop it up and put it in the green

> bin I suppose but seems like rubbish laundering.

You could chop it up into small sheets and get a jump on the impending toilet paper crisis......

I posted on another thread about dumping stuff by Camberwell Old cemetery. It was a facetious post having a go at builders and the like who sometimes fly tip there. I expect the post above was making a similar point. Years ago Liverpool bin men let me cut up a sofa and put it straight into their dust cart. It was a double whammy as I found a tiny fortune that had slipped down under the seats, and also a Tag Heuer watch. Sadly a fake. Mattresses unlike sofas don't tend to have treasures inside them. Does anyone recycle any of the wadding?

I feel I should clarify that I was looking for legit solutions. Obviously no one present would fly tip or do anything environmentally unfriendly.

I don't think people accept them for dog beds, and even furniture companies who take the old one away when they deliver the new one now can't. Maybe I'll just roll it up, take it with me and wait for the next lull between lockdowns.

Siduhe Wrote:

> No40 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It really isn't.

>

>

> Just FYI -

> https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?

> 20,2154894,2155544#msg-2155544

Don't worry - I had a couple of previous incarnations myself but gave up a while back (as with gamblong, when the fun stops, stop...) Just returned to re-home some things before a move!

In case anyone else is in this position, the answer is the Southwark recycling centre DOES take mattresses. When I went there today there were several in the household section, and a man working there told me that in fact there are only four things they don't take: asbestos, petrol, food and can't remember the other one. Despite what the website says you can take furniture. Saves the cost of a collection.

Steven Taylor Wrote:

> Just dump it somewhere quiet at an abnormal time

> of the night, 3am tends to be an ideal time.

You just seem to enjoy causing outrage with your suggestions: "burning a foam mattress" ! flytipping ! whats so funny about creating toxic air and being crooks.