CPZ controlled parking in Denman/Talfourd/Lyndhurst/Bushey Hill/Crofton/Shenley

zelda100

Unless you think/know that someone at Southwark is stealing cash from the council coffers - in which case tell the police - any surplus (or "profit" if you want) Southwark gains from CPZs will go towards other local amenities and services. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of CPZs, it's pointless to talk as if Southwark is some big corporation ripping us off for its own benefit, the money comes back into the community.

HELP!

Does anyone know how to contact the council re getting a permit?

We have just moved into the zone (so have no proof of address and no council tax bill) and need to get a permit for our car.

I have changed my address online for our council tax "account" but the website doesn't seem to acknowledge this and just says the account is closed.

Of course there is no telephone number to ring and ask. At a loss and very grateful for any help!

Thank you Droler. I contacted the number provided by nomen and it was actually pretty straightforward getting a temporary 1 month permit over the phone and they are virtual too so no need to display in your car (although they do send them out if you want to display).

Thank you all!

mikeb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @rendel -by your logic, there should be no limit

> to council taxes and levies, even those which are

> transparent and not hidden or disguised as such

> something else

How do you manage to extrapolate that from two sentences in which I simply pointed out that monies which go to Southwark are ultimately respent on the community?

great to see this conversation getting so much attention. I understand there is some spillover pressure from other CPZ's which might make daytime parking stressful - although personally as a resident of Talfourd Rd for 11 years I have never had a problem.

My observations are -

we have had a massive loss of parking with double yellow lines - even over the drives of peoples own houses which prevents them from blocking themselves in and freeing up parking.

secondly, inevitably the costs of permitting are huge -considering the borough is fairly poor how are the majority of people supposed to afford 125 for the first car and 240 for the second?

thirdly, we have a nanny - who was previously unemployed and we use her to drive our kids to school (my wife and I both work) - she is not a Southwark resident so her car cannot be registered. We calculate the cost of permitting her car is around 3,000 a year. so unfortunately she needs to be let go - it breaks my heart - back on the dole. On this basis my wife will probably need to give up work to manage the childcare (I'm sure Southwark have thought all this through). the alternative is we buy the nanny a car to drive to our house every day and register it here... not sure that will help with the parking.

thirdly, we are doing some building work - current 2 vans working at our house. with a distinct lack of options, all we can do is suspend two bays, cost 3,500. now we have no choice and can just about afford this, but honestly - how on earth are the majority of people supposed to find this money. it is so unfair - and really feels like it is punishing the residents, particularly those who are not very well off but need a car.

is anybody up for starting a petition to repeal it?

Thanks Loz. I'm just hoping this might be a good forum to advertise if anyone wants to mobilise now that it's happened. I didn't look on here beforehand (I was pretty naive to the issues, but said no myself as I was fairly happy with the old arrangement) but am now mighty cross it's happened and hope others might find there way here anew like me :-)

Thanks for the helpful advice, I presume it depends on how hacked people feel. I suspect quite a lot of people are becoming a lot more than the 15 percent that voted are becoming much more informed and interested now it's happening. I gather you had a Facebook page - was that a good way of getting people together on the issue? How many people do you need to get it as an official petition?

Sorry, Previouslyhappyresid, but the council loves CPZs and you haven't a snowball's chance in hell of getting it rescinded. Ever.

They want to squeeze parking. At the moment they are merely shifting the problem around, but once the process is complete and everywhere is afflicted, people will really start to see the hell they have helped create.

Had our CPZ go live in April 2016 and it's the best thing that happened. Was against it at first but due to the unprecedented parking problems in the area voted to go for the 12-2pm NO PARKING slot and it's worked! Everybody far and wide (miles away from London even) was parking to get to the local train stations and bus stops to go wherever but impacting upon local streets just to save a bit of money.

Have had no problems with visitor parking permits etc. when needed.

No offence, but given I and many others fought hard for a CPZ (and secured a statistically large reply for the consultation), I am not going to do anything to risk it. The CPZ is making a life changing difference to myself and many others, so its nothing personal but I will leave it to you to work out what to do.

All I will say is the council are historically reluctant to review or change outcomes shortly after a previous consultation.

"With regard to your comment on majority decision the DKH result has just been set out.

2471 letters sent out 365 replies overall. 15%

Unfortunately as Southwark look for a response rate of 10% overall that have declared that they will push for full implementation of the CPZ based on yes percentages.

However when one looks closely at the figures it is a joke.

For our road. 98 houses in total, 14 replies, 9 for, 5 against. The against vote does not count those responses that were received outside of the consultation. I know people who only found out late and emailed and had their vote rejected which would have pushed the against vote up. If a decision to implement is carried on 3 or 4 votes it does not reflect what is correct from such a small response based on the total properties involved.. People should have voted but I only came across the consultation by accident how many other were in the same boat but my no vote was rejected. Many of the residents are only passing through by renting so have no interest.

No matter how small the yes vote is if it means they have one vote majority in favour on very small turnouts they will take it as a yes vote.

If people would like to take the time to look at PDF1 report for the DKH CPZ or get Southwark to send it to you you will see what aa farce this has been.

Before the usual response is posted "you should have voted" perhaps Southwark should have looked at the returns and said this decision on these numbers covering such a large area is wrong. But they want a CPZ's all over the Borough.

Permit fees, parking fines, tow away fines etc etc.

Looking at plans the number of double yellow lines, meter parking cutting down existing parking makes your head spin.

This will be coming to an area near you very soon."

The above comment was made regarding our road, unfortunately if Southwark has a small opening to impose a CPZ they will and as someone has said once in it stays.

The vast % of the 98 houses are rented flats, 3 flat conversions, so only 3 house's based on the above returns polling yes will get you a CPZ.

The other smart Southwark move is when they say other roads are CPZ's and this will push traffic to other roads so they will have to be CPZ's as well regardless if the yes vote is a 1 vote majority.

Common sense seems to go out of the window. Yellow lines over cross overs will reduce parking even more. Even if the cross overs have been in place since the houses were built in 1875. Yellow lines to stop accidents they say. Have never ever seen an accident or even close to one in all the years I have lived here which are many

Read the consultation result of the DKH survey and you will see you do not have a chance to get it reversed.

Good luck but I think you are peeing in the wind with Southwark.

While people complqin about small numbers in favour of yes votes, the same is true in reverse for no votes. When an area votes no, the council respects that decision until locals ask for change.

Democracy works both ways, i doubt anti CPZ campaigners would complain if they won by the same results as we won it. Democracy is about a majority of those who vote - if you dont get the vote out then there is no point complaining.