CPZ controlled parking in Denman/Talfourd/Lyndhurst/Bushey Hill/Crofton/Shenley

zelda100

A few years have now passed since this topic was first raised. Since the double yellow lines went in we have found that the parking situation has got much worse. We are a group of residents campaigning for a another CPZ consultation on Bushey Hill, Crofton and Shenley Roads (plus the side roads off Shenley)

If you would like more information please follow us on Twitter at @SE5Parking or email [email protected]

So far we have noticed strong support for another consultation, even from people previously opposed to a CPZ. With the building of a large development of new flats on the Peckham Road, plus large developments near Camberwell Green the situation is only going to get worse. We are running a petition over the next few weeks, and if we get enough signatures the councillors have agreed to another consultation. Ideally we would want restricted parking for a couple of hours around lunchtime to deter all day parkers, whilst allowing deliveries and visitors.

If you live on Talfourd or Denmark roads and feel that parking is an issue please get in touch,

Southwarks aim is to make all the Borough a CPZ to generate revenue.

What they could have done is make Southwark a CPZ and issued free parking permits to all residents.

I have three children if they all come one the same day its costs me three residents parking permits even if they only stay for an hour.

At some point all Southwark will be a CPZ as free parking is slowly erased. Southwark hates the motorist but has an orgasm if you mention cyclists and all things green.

Unfortunately it is too late to stop this slow death of personal choice.

They work for us. They seem to have forgotten this simple fact

Hi Abe,

Yes, in the surrounding area there are always spaces on Maude/Wilson/Grace's/Dagmar Roads and Lyndhurst Way (CPZ streets). People who don't want to pay use our roads as do commuters. If they were full I wouldn't want a CPZ to be honest.

A CPZ would make a massive difference to local residents who are completely fed up with the situation. This area is pretty much the last set of streets without a CPZ in the area, which means traffic previously dispersed over many different roads, now only has a tiny number to go in to. Either make the whole area a CPZ, or get rid of CPZ across the board - at present the problem is appalling, and making local residents lives a misery.

Your issue has been caused by a CPZ displacing traffic into neighbouring streets. If it's extended it will push the problem on again. At some point someone has to actually object to the cause rather than the symptoms, end the protectionism and campaign not for perpetual expansion, but for a roll back of these ridiculous schemes.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Your issue has been caused by a CPZ displacing

> traffic into neighbouring streets. If it's

> extended it will push the problem on again. At

> some point someone has to actually object to the

> cause rather than the symptoms, end the

> protectionism and campaign not for perpetual

> expansion, but for a roll back of these ridiculous

> schemes.

I fully agree with what you are saying, but as a resident of the streets in question, knowing that there is nowhere else locally that isn't in a CPZ, I'm happy to see the cars move elsewhere. Until you've lived with the nightmare that is a small area without any reasonable chance of hoping to park your car within half a mile of your house during the working day, particularly if you have children, buggies, shopping or a wheelchair, or waiting for cancelled repairs / deliveries because the driver can't park etc then you don't know what an utter misery it is.

The ideal solution is to scrap all CPZ across London, but that will never happen. In the meantime, I'd like to stop commuter using my street to park because they are too lazy to take public transport like the rest of us. The ideal solution is a 12-2 zone, which means people can use the road, but it stops it being a dormitory road for commuters who turn up at 7am and go at 6pm, regular as clockwork.

• 1 month later...

Given this may be an issue for people who use the road in the daytime for parking but I live on bushey hill road and Monday to Friday 9-5 I don't use my car as I'm in work, all other times of the week the parking is no problem at all on the road and I'm not very happy about the prospect of having to fork out ?125 a year for an issue that I barely experience. Is there only a petition in favour of this happening going around or do the people that don't want this to happen not have a say?

Leigh

As someone who has lived under the tyranny of a CPZ scheme I would warn.. be careful what you ask for.

Sure, a 12-2 limit sounds great but, once the powers-that-be are given the go ahead, then it could be for any length of time as it all has to be paid for and 12-2 doesn't make as much money as a longer time period. New signs need to go up, new bays created, leaflets distributed, road markings changed, permits arranged. Then come extra wardens to police the roads.

I lived in St Albans, my house was over half a mile from the station yet we had 8am-8pm CPZ. The worst thing was that there was a warden at the end of our road at 7.59am every single day as that was when the pickings were rich. They were a permanent presence all day, 6 days a week, miserable faces because everyone hated them bearing down on you as you parked, creating anxiety whilst visitors first 'hello' was "am I supposed to have a parking ticket?". Despite regular protests, not one single thing was changed in the timing or location of the CPZ once it was established. So one day you wake up and find that YOUR road is 8am to 6.30pm. You spend half your working day thinking about parking. You have a permit so you feel a sense of entitlement and, about 2 miles from home you start thinking about a space...everyone else is on their way home from work now...willl there be a space? Will someone else get there first?

You will spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about parking. What about your cleaning lady? Has she got enough visitor permits? She arranges to clean for 2 hours, runs over a bit, then tells you that she went out to her car and there was a ticket on her car. The babysitter? The person who is dropping by for a cuppa...do you give them a one hour permit then watch the clock or a 5 hour permit just-in-case? They cost more but, hey, so does a fine from a keen parking attendant. Is it cheaper to use up a 5 hour permit on someone who is there for 4 hours or use up 4 individual hour permits as you have more of those left over, except that your neighbour has just knocked on your door saying 'have you got any one hour permits? My mum is coming over and we have only just realise we gave the last one to the boiler man this afternoon and, well y'know it takes 2 days to order new ones, etc etc etc..

So the cost of reducing the number of people who park in 'your' road can be measured in money, time, stress and fines. And you are still parking two streets away!

Im on Denman. We haven't noticed any increase in problems parking. But I appreciate that as a road that's less of a cut through from Peckham are than others we may be slightly more insulated. I know that many in Denman remain firmly opposed to a CPZ. As am I.

It will be interesting to see if the proposed changes to one way system and removal of swathes of parking spaces around Bellenden, Holly Grove, Lyndhurst has an impact.

From my perspective, any CPZ of any form would be ideal. The sheer level of stress and anxiety caused by worrying about where cars can park on the 'toastrack' at the moment is getting ridiculous. A cursory look at the SE5 parking facebook or twitter page shows how bad the problem is across all 6 roads. Similarly talking to dozens of local residents, many of whom did not want a CPZ before, its clear that attitudes have shifted as the squeeze on parking in Southwark continues.

Southwark allows you to do online temporary visitor parking permits, so if you need someone in a bay, you can sort in online for them for rather than having to go to a parking shop. Its quick, easy and straightforward and frankly far less hassle than worrying about where to park. The current situation is leaving local residents unable to park anywhere within a half mile radius of their house most of the time if they have to use their cars. This is a short walk for some, but there are a lot of mobility restricted residents who if they have to go out, are recounting how they are quite literally trapped in their cars until a space becomes available near their door.

This problem will only get worse as other areas (e.g. Denmark Hill and North Dulwich) vote to have a CPZ implemented, and the pressure for a finite number of spaces gets worse. It is telling that several hundred residents have now signed a petition asking the council to reopen CPZ consultation - hopefully the council will listen and act accordingly.

Hi Leigh,

The petition is only to get a consultation, no CPZ would ever be put in purely on the basis of a petition. Everyone can have their say either way if a consultation is done.

Hi Man City, I've been down Denman a couple of times during the day. I agree with you - parking doesn't seem a issue. However on the roads to the west of you it's become a total nightmare! Crofton used to be OK too, until the double yellows got put in...

Hi Jacqui, I lived in the Rye Lane CPZ for 2.5 years. It was fine, no problems at all. Always plenty of parking. I now have to put up with no parking on Crofton Road during weekdays and would gladly have one!

• 7 months later...

The result whould be known in January. Initial impressions were a very strong support for a CPZ including many residents who had previously been opposed to it. As expected the establishment of cpz elsewhere has pushed a lot of traffic onto these streets, and it was makg life insufferable for residents, many of whom were vulnerable and it was directly impinging on their quality of life.

My sense is that it will pass, and given that other donsultations are ocurring in peckham rye and elsewhere, I think Southwark is about out of free parking now.

Whilst the new influx of residents are concerned about "their" parking no mention has been made re the cost to be incurred by children of older residents who come to visit and will have to use an expensive resident parking voucher. I have three children and when they turn up or pop in on the same day it will be silly expensive. If this happens more than once in a week it will mount up. Also if one or the other pop in to check it costs money. Why? Resident parking should be a CPZ but free for Council Tax paying residents.

It wont happen because they need the money.

My impression, and that of some others actively campaigning in favour of a CPZ was that many of the residents who vociferously wanted a CPZ had been residents of the toastrack for more than a decade, myself included and in some case several decades, and in a few cases well over half a century and in at least one case since before WW2! To characterise this as new residents is unfair.

Ultimately the sheer number of local residents who signed the petition asking Southwark to reopen the consultation on 6 roads was significant - apparently it was one of the biggest petitions from local residents asking for a consultation ever seen by Southwark, who were clear that the very strong support fo a CPZ in this area made it a high priority to consult on. Everyone who signed the initial petition was asked to confirm they were prepared to pay these associated costs, and not one felt it unfair to do so.

The parking on the toastrack at the moment is pure, unmitigated hell. Anyone using a car during the day will lose the space in moments and local residents regularly reported being stalked by commuters who watched their movements and knew when they would leave each day, and thus find their specific car and park alongside it each morning. There have been multiple fights and other public order issues over parking, and many residents have suffered thousands of pounds worth of damage due to vehicles being badly parked pn the street due to pressure and weight of numbers. Most mornings there are no spaces left by 7am, and rarely many before 7pm because commuters grab them. Meanwhile other residents living in CPZ areas too selfish to pay a CPZ fee to park on their streets use ours, increasing parking pressure (and ironically driving up demand for a CPZ) whilst other people use the streets as dumping ground for out of tax or otherwise abandoned cars.

I and other residents met with fellow locals and heard dreadful stories of vile abuse thrown at people, pf harassment of mothers desperately trying to unload a car but unable to park anywhere pn the 6 streets, of people unable to receive daily nursing visits because their nurse cannot find a parking space, of people in mews blocked in for days at a time because commuters park in front of a dropped kerb and abandon their cars. The experiences we heard were both terrifying and heart wrenching. That is why there was enormous support for the CPZ consultation and why people are mpre than happy to pay to park.

As for the argments about parking vouchers, all I would say is that the vouchers are only needed when the zone is active and can be bought online without a physical voucher being needed. Ultimately the trick is to either visit outside of the zone hours or at weekends when it is free or if you do need visits during the dwy, either guests need to use public transport, or accept that at least they will get a space - currently the council estimates the Toast Rack os running at greater than 90% occupancy all day while most CPZ zines struggle to get 30-40% use.

I desperately hope and pray we get a CPz as it will make a genuinely life changing difference for hundreds of residents whp are sick and tired of living in a rat run. It cannot come soon enough

• 3 months later...