See where the bombs fell on London

BigED

You can see where the bombs fell on London in WW2 at this new website. Just manoeuvre the map to show ED and environs. And you can then walk along your perfect Victorian suburb and spot where the post-war building infill happened. Of course, that was before they tried to stick up townhouses on any handkerchief-sized vacant plot, but that's another rant for another day.

http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

BigED

I have looked at this Website but the sites mentioned are not precise, the sites that I saw then were blocks away from those marked You can look at those and see no damage to buildings there.

Interesting to see that the bomb that dropped burying myself and family shows nowhere near our home, and all the string of bombs are all misplaced.

The Web of the V1 & V11 was made by our local STEVE of Court Lane, has no relation to the Blitz.

When the site has settled in I will try to find the bombing in Lordship Lane near Northcross Road.

BigED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You can see where the bombs fell on London in WW2

> at this new website. Just manoeuvre the map to

> show ED and environs. And you can then walk along

> your perfect Victorian suburb and spot where the

> post-war building infill happened. Of course,

> that was before they tried to stick up townhouses

> on any handkerchief-sized vacant plot, but that's

> another rant for another day.

>

> http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

>

> BigED

Still not responding due to high load via that link via my laptop but strangely same site IS accessible now on my phone... really interesting - thanks.

I'm glad you said that the interactive map is inaccurate, Computed Shorty, because my mother and I had come to the same conclusion - that the bombs are all shown as having landed in the wrong places - some 15+ houses away from where they actually landed. I've previously looked at the map in the London Metropolitan Archives,on which this interactive map is said to be based, and it did not show the bombs as having fallen in these positions, and is undoubtedly more accurate.

Hi all. Yes, it was disappointing. Where was the V1/2 that fell on the Co-op?. Also the bomb that destroyed the church at the bottom of Worlingham Rd? And the one on Crystal Palace rd? Not to mention the large one that killed a wedding party on Camberwell Green? Probably lots more.

Lynne

And there are still no plaques to show where the worst of the bombing took place.

I have in mind particularly:

1) The site of the Coop at the junction of Shawbury Road and Lordship Lane which was struck by a V1 bomb on Saturday the 5th of August 1944 at a quarter to five in the afternoon. People were doing their weekend shopping when the bomb struck and 23 were killed.

2) The junction of Ethrow Street and Friern Road where at 13 minutes past five in the morning of the 1st of November 1944, a V2 bomb struck. It killed 24 people, totally destroyed 23 houses and badly damaged another 80. A V1 bomb had struck the same area on the 26th of June that year but thankfully no one was killed.

At the very least these two incidents, two of the worst to strike East Dulwich, should be marked with a plaque explaining the tragic events that took place and the widespread loss of life inflicted on the residents of East Dulwich.

> I have looked at this Website but the sites mentioned are not precise, the sites that I saw then were blocks away from those marked

I've seen enough people saying this to have me wondering whether there is a systematic error in their geomapping software.

In fact, if you look at this page, http://bombsight.org/data/sources/, they are fairly upfront about some possible sources of error that may exist in their different data sources. But I do trust that they've checked that the process transforming the original data records to the maps we've been given hasn't introduced any further error.

There is presumably scope for checking the original data records against clear recollections of folk like computedshorty. Perhaps such work has already been done. Anyone who comes across any academic papers relevant to this project, please do mention them here.

There are not a lot of people that are still alive to confirm the actual sites. It looks to me that a transparent film had been overlaid on the map then the sites added, as they are to my memory being at least 400 yards to the right of the sites shown.

My father was one of the Civil Defence Wardens at the Dulwich Library, he was a very precise man so marking a map would be dead on. Taking on the fact that his own home was damaged so close to the Library would mean he would be aware at the time even if not on duty.

Betweeen Crystal Palace Road and Goodrich Road the site I am talking about is mostly in Landcroft Road where five houses were very badly damaged, ( they have now been only four house built to replace them )

The site extended to Lordship Lane where the backs and tops of the houses were damaged.

The site can be seen as vacant in the Google maps, and in others show the new houses, and the damaged ones, and rebuilt, back additions and roofs, chimney stacks of a more simple style replaced, ( no chimney Pots on top ) of those in Lordship Lane.

There are records to be seen at the Council Offices in the Boro, but I am not able to get there.

Vilmos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks macrobana

>

> You don't say how it is being funded. If you

> invite donations on this site I feel sure people

> will gladly put their hands in their pockets to

> cover the cost.

The plaques are being funded by The Dulwich Society as part of its 50th anniversary. Memorials to civilians killed in Dulwich during World War Two will be unveiled throughout 2013 at dates near to the actual events. It is intended that the ceremonies will be low-key but memorable for friends and relatives of those killed as well as local residents.

Details will be in the local press and are also in the latest issue of the Dulwich Society Journal, available at the Art Stationers in Dulwich Village.

• 7 months later...