Anyone from Oz?

jollymummy

I know this is not strictly a family room discussion topic but thought it probably the best place to post...

Are there any families living in ED that have moved from Brisbane, Australia? Hubby and myself are considering a move out to Oz with the kiddies and are summing up the best place to go. Brisbane is a hot contender and I wondered if there are any Ozzies living here that could give me any tips or advice on great cities to live in with kiddies. We have a 4 year old boy and 18 month girl and as much as we love living in ED and have a great life here we are chasing the sun and an outdoor lifestyle.

Cheers x

Can't comment on Brisie either as I'm from Perth but as Strawbs says work is a factor. The industry you work in is a big factor as there will be less opportunities for jobs in banking and high tech in Queensland. Saying that my British cousin is a secondary teacher in Brisbane and is doing brilliantly after immigrating from the UK a couple of years ago. He was going to move to Sydney but is now in line for a headship. Sometimes it works to be big fish in a small pond!

Hi Jolly Mummy,

I am a Brisbanite born and bred, though I've lived in the UK since 1973.

Work aside, just be very sure you could stand the heat and humidity. Winter, spring and autumn are gorgeous, but summers can be very sticky.

Good luck whatever you decide!

My hubby works in IT and would probably look at working in a bank (as he does in the UK) but he is def open to new ideas. I won't be working as we have two young kiddies. I spent a year in Oz 8/9 years ago so am aware of the baking temperatures that can be experienced.

I did love Perth, I spent 4 months there, I am a bit concerned it might be a bit quiet but I suppose the lifestyle I would have as a Mummy is totally different to the one I had as a young, single girl so maybe a reconsideration is in order.

Hello hello, I'm from BrisVegas as Matt has mentioned above. It is a lovely place to grow up, that is for sure. When we were kids we lived in the Redlands, which is about 40mins by train from Brisbane city and is right by Moreton Bay. It's beautiful.

I've not lived there for a while, but I've been struck each time I've been back at how much the city has changed - it's gone from a (somewhat parochial) big country town to a lovely, cosmopolitan place with great restaurants, cafes and bars. I would echo the comments above about the heat - summers are brutal - but you're near the coast so getting to the beach is pretty easy. I say if the job situation works in your favour then go for it!

Im not from australia but having travelled to australia a lot over the last few years, i would recommend Sydney especially for work purposes. My sister moved to Sydney over 15 years ago and she loves it. We are hoping to move there in a few years time too. The place is so clean, people so friendly, i just love it

I'm from Melbourne but agree with what jLo says - I went to Brisbane recently and was struck by how much it has changed for the better. The benefits to living in Brisbane (in my opinion!) are the close proximity to places like Noosa. Although having said that Melbourne and Sydney are also near great beaches. Melbourne was a great city to grow up in - I had a fabulous childhood there. I think the only thing I find when I go home is how everything feels a lot slower and you notice how there's a lot less people around - can be a positive or negative I guess depending on what you're looking for. Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope it works out well for you all.

I am in the same position as jollymummy, although at a very intial stage of thinking about it. We would love to spend some time there as a family before committing. Does anyone know of someone who would like to swap their house in either Bris, Melb or Sydney for one in Camberwell... doesn't sound so tempting!

Thank you