New shop - corner Forest Hill Road & Dunstans Road

The white wall at the side of the property in question had large and ugly tagging on it the other day. I was about to report it to the council (which would then approach the owner and offer to remove it for them) but the day after I passed by and the graffiti had been painted over, so thanks to the owners for doing that.

Blimey, I hope 400K wasn't spent on painting bollards outside the shops. I have noticed the aerosol man has started up again recently. I hope the street gets tidied up a little and bins are sorted out by the time the new hairdressers gets it's grand opening.

Paving or tarmacking the whole of that stretch - from the barber's down to the new shop on the corner of Dunstan's Road - in a uniform way would be a big help and not that difficult. Of course, you'd have to stop the motorists who ride the pavement and park outside the shops (usually the betting shop and the launderette) otherwise it'd get damaged all over again. Anyone know whether driving over the pavement - which seems to the be a thin strip of paving that then gives way to the odd assortment of tarmac in front of various properties - is legal?

I think that the assorted surfaces are due to those sections belonging to the shops/buildings, rather than being part of the pavement. If that is the case then I believe you may put a car or something else on your own land, but you don't necessarily have the right of way across the pavement to get it there. Typically I think a dropped kerb would indicate right of way.

• 2 weeks later...

acresser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know what the old driving school next

> the the Herne is going to be - noticed a lot of

> activity going on there too!

That work seems to have been going on for ages - and is being conducted at a snail's pace! The state of the pavement is always really muddy around there now as well.

acresser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know what the old driving school next

> the the Herne is going to be - noticed a lot of

> activity going on there too!

P.s. Just checked council website - sounds like it's going to be a dental surgery:

Proposal: Details of the proposed new shopfront as required by Condition 7 of planning permission 12-AP-1161 for: (Change of use of ground floor and basement commercial premises from a driving school (Use Class A2) into a dental surgery (Use Class D1) involving the installation of a new shopfront and the erection of a two-storey rear extension with enlarged lightwell).

• 1 month later...