RE: New build proposals - Dog Kennel Hill estate

Just wandered down to buy Sundays snoozepapers yesterday and noticed yellow notices tied to railings in the estate about proposals to build new blocks within the estate off Pytchley Road. My concern is that these were date as 24 December and comments need to be in by 13 January - but I am absolutely positive that these notices were not there until some time last week - they definitely weren't there on Christmas Eve or any time during the following week.

I don't know if I will actually object to the proposals but the dates quoted, and the placing the notices strikes me as an utterly cynical approach to the need for public consultation.

By the way, apart from really liking these well-designed old LCC estates, my main concern is the possible loss of the fenced playg area in Pytchley Road: it's not particularly busy right now but for most of the year this a really popular informal space for kids to let off steam within sight of where they live and the road. It would be appalling that this is lost without a thought - yes, it's not a sport centre, or a park but it's where teenagers play around and seem to simply be having fun on their own terms.

Also I am concerned that there has been no refurbishment of Badminton House (beside and above the shop on Dog Kennel Hill) or the derelict block at the bottom of Bromar Road. Surely these should be dealt with first? Or is this a case of LB Southwark giving themselves outline planning and selling on to a developer.

Thoughts?

I believe Badminton House has been sold to a developer. It really is about time it was sorted out. I guess the sale must have included the lease of the shop unit (costcutter) too, which could be interesting.

The derelict block at the bottom of Bromar road has also been sold off, planning permission has been granted for 5 x 4 bed houses (3 storey).

There's a LOT of material in the latest application, so I didn't go through it all. But I think you're right about losing the fenced play area. I guess we'll also be losing some green space where the air raid shelters are (sloped bumpy area on north side of Pytchley Rd).

But overall, I guess London needs more social housing, so you could argue it's for the greater good.

The story goes that Southdown was demolished due to subsidence.

The yellow notices have definitely only gone up recently although it was on the website before.

My small issue is that the the old Gatebeck site has been used as a car park since it was demolished, does this mean all of the cars + the cars from the new build will be forced out onto Pytchley Road?

My larger issue is as mentioned before, the loss of 'The Cage' on Pytchley Road, it is a very popular play space with all ages from the estate and surrounding areas, especially in the summer months and lighter evenings, It's a large estate full of families with no gardens and extremely important in my opinion.

Right. Unlike your contributions, Mr Constructive.

For the record, I live very very close to the site in question, and would rather not see overdevelopment on my doorstep. I'm just pointing out that when considering the application, it is worth bearing in mind the need for social housing.

I spotted the notices around the estate on December 24 - but they are not very prominent or numerous, given the size and complexity of the works proposed. You can find the application and dozens of associated documents on the Southwark planning website under reference 12-AP-3563. The statutory planning consultation period has been extended to January 16, following an appeal from residents and councillors. The planning officer says 'the earliest this application will be determined is at the Planning Sub-Committee on February 12th, and we will take into account comments received up until shortly before determination, although you are advised to get your comments in sooner if you can'.

During the last administration the Secretary of State had the power to overturn any decisions made at local level- I wonder if this is still the case? Given that the current Planning Minister has stated in so may words that it is necessary to build on fields because it is not right that families with children are living in flats with no gardens, he will be inlined to use this power. What about the children already in flats with no green space to play on when everything is concreted over?

Southwark Council are selling off their stock left right and centre. Over the last few years they've spent 30 million pounds refurbishing the Dog Kennel Hill Estate and they've probably made a tidy sum from the sale of Badminton House/Bromar Road.

To refurbish their properties and then sell them off means they can't have a social housing waiting list? Is this waiting list down to 0 then?

Of course the 5 four bed houses planned for Bromar Road won't be for social housing.

• 4 weeks later...

People may be interested to know that there is a new consultation period for this planning application for the East Dulwich Estate: two new blocks (27 flats in total) along Pytchley Road, conversion of drying rooms into 18 flats, and landscaping including changes to parking, playgrounds, open spaces.

The new consultation period was set up because essential drawings were not uploaded to the planning website at the start of the first consultation period. Consultation now runs until 16 Feb. See Southwark planning website http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/485/planning_applications/554/search_the_planning_applications_register

under reference 12-AP-3563.

Hi EastDulwichHenry - I agree, the buildings of Dog Kennel Hill Estate are characterful and well-designed. The council's proposal is to add two more blocks on the sites of two of the original 1930s blocks, Southdown and Gatebeck, which were knocked down in 1970s and 90s. One site is near the corner of Pytchley and Dog Kennel Hill (currently an open space used for parking), the other faces the junction of Pytchley and Quorn (currently the football kickabout 'cage' and parking). Do have a look and see what you think of the designs for the new blocks.