Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road / Nunhead Lane Signal Modifications Works

You may be describing a scenario like this Huggers?

I just sat at these lights for 20 minutes (hence the plentiful time I had to take photos) with no cars able to turn left because the lights phased as such that the road only clears to do so when the lights I'm sat at are on red.

The result of course was numerous drivers driving down the wrong side of the road to get through the lights......and then I saw this......

A police car doing the same, upon which a whole bunch of more drivers thought it was ok for them to do so too (and I lost the will to live). I gave up trying to turn left and went ahead instead.

It's quite clear that idiots are running this show and I cant remember the last time I actually saw anyone working on the other junction.

I thought these works were due to be completed at the end of February, but this morning it actually looked as if they were finished!!! My journey on the 63 took about ten minutes, as opposed to the 25/30 minutes I've become accustomed to.

Of course, unless it's my ignorance, the junction looked exactly the same as it did before the works, which begs the question, why did they bother in the first place?

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dont worry the Colyton Road Works will slow it

> again!

:-( How long are they expected to last?

I would like to know what difference the Peckham Rye/East Dulwich Road works have made. The road looks identical to how it did before doesn't it? It really has been murder getting to work this year, I can't believe that all the disruption was worth it.

From what I can make out the pavement at the East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye corner by (Kumon) what was the estate agents has been extended into East Dulwich Road, making the road narrower there to presumably slow traffic down and making turning left much harder, otherwise looks the same to me.

Well, the recent works did claim one casualty. My beloved Triumph Bonneville has been written off due to the crash that I was involved in a couple of weeks ago. Luckily I wasnt hurt too badly, and I am well down the road to recovery...

Have to say, the junction doesn't look too different to what it did before...

Good to see they have also started digging up Rye Lane again, just to add to the disruption.

This is what I saw....

Heading southwards a car entering the box to turn right is allowed to (I think)

even if the exit is blocked - however in this case, the exit remains blocked

and the car is stuck in the middle of the junction whilst the traffic lights go

through a whole sequence (result - no-one can move and cars begin to try to steer past).

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> today I saw all the traffic coming from Nunhead

> lane with a green light completely stuck at the

> next red light on 'kings on the rye' crossroads.

> Can these lights not be coordinated so that when

> they let cars through they don't immediately stop

> them so there is a blockage ?

JohnL, I think you're partially correct, but just googled it to check. You can only enter the box if your exit is clear (so if there was a traffic jam at the exit, the driver should not have entered the box). https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

I was curious, as there is a box junction I go through regularly on a commute near Mitcham, and due to the weight of traffic, you could not turn right at all (and it is permitted to do so) unless you did enter the box junction, and wait behind the traffic queuing at the lights a few metres ahead. However, as it's a t-junction, you're not going to get permanently stuck as the driver you describe did (you move as soon as the lights change at the roundabout). However, I have noticed a mobile traffic camera at that junction a couple of times recently, which is why I decided to check, your post was a good reminder to do so.

I understood perfectly... but my grammar wasn't very good - meant to say that I thought JohnL was right (but decided to check). He wasn't correct. You can only enter a box junction if your exit is clear... so if it's not, you shouldn't, unless the blockage is caused by other vehicles turning right, or oncoming traffic. If it's blocked by traffic waiting to move on, you shouldn't enter.

• 3 months later...

Can someone please explain (and apologies if I have missed this somewhere else) - many weeks of work went into modifying this junction and adding a right filter from East Dulwich Road onto Peckham Rye - but I'm not aware that the filter has ever been in operation?

Does it only work at certain hours or is it not on at all?

• 11 months later...

Following the junction improvements at Rye Lane / East Dulwich Road, a much needed right filter was installed for those coming from eastbound EDR and turning into southbound RL.

However, when I passed there yesterday, the filter was not operational so it was back to the previous situation of cars having to either rush through before oncoming traffic sets off, or only a tiny few cars getting through once the lights turn to red. Anyone know why the filter's not operational?