Iceland/ cheap places to buy food

Reets

Hello all,

So, I am looking for some ideas for cheap places to buy food around the Goose Green end of Lordship Lane.

Iceland is obviously good for some stuff, but is closing down soonish. Where else can I get cheap food? Eg, is market Fruit and vegetables generally much cheaper than supermarkets?

Agree, go to Peckham.

It has Lidl, another cheap supermarket I can't remember the name of, veg markets, pound shops etc..

Iceland is the only place round here you're likely to get decent cheap food (and before the usual people start on about rubbish food in Iceland, it's excellent for things like frozen veg and fish).

ETA: And Peckham also has places where you can buy things like lentils in bulk - cheap, nutritious and delicious!

ETA: The other cheap supermarket is Asda - thanks for reminding me Lorraine!

Thanks guys, looks like I will have to trek to Peckham more often to save a little cash. Any other tips?

My own personal tip - To get basics like rice, pasta and spaghetti, go to the big sainsbury's. They do 'basics' bags of 1kg for under 40p piece. So good. It only slightly compromises the quality of food too.

If you've got room to store it (and can carry it home!) you can get big bags of things like rice at places like Asian supermarkets. Don't know how the price compares to 1kg for 40p though.

The big Sainsbury's also has cartons of Basics chopped tomatoes which are quite cheap - can't remember exactly how much but a lot cheaper than others, and a great basis for things like soups, stews and casseroles.

They also often have offers on frozen fruit like blueberries and raspberries (great with porridge or yoghurt and you can just use a little at a time because it won't go off) and their own brand soya-based mince, burgers and meatballs which are quite cheap.

But be careful of supposedly cheaper own brands/basics - I bought some brandy for the Christmas pud (my excuse) and I noticed that Sainsbury's basic brandy in a plastic bottle with one of their basics orange labels was only a few pence cheaper than their own brand brandy - OK still Sainsbury's but a glass bottle with a fancy label (if you didn't look too closely) looked a lot nicer in the kitchen!

I second lidl - brilliant for all the basics - their bread flour is about 40p cheaper per pack than sainsbos own brand. Also fab for butter, cheese, greek yoghurt, olive oil, all cleaning products (dishwash, washing machine) with no loss of quality. Fruit and veg always cheaper and they have organic. They also have the same brand parma ham as sainsburys (it has a crown in the corner) in sainsbos it is 3.99 for 10 slices, in lidl it is 1.99 for 7 slices. All tinned chick peas etc much cheaper.

I try to do my main shop there, and then get any other stuff from sainsburys.

I know I sound very sad but it's worth a visit!! (remember to take your own bags)

Second lidls for good quality but cheap food. I think what puts people off is the fact they are unknown brands. However on many items it really shouldn't. I like their cooked meats are fab quality and miles cheaper than other supermarkets. Their version of feta is good too and lot cheaper. You can get nice and unusual continental style pickles and their bourbon vanilla ice cream is one of the best I have tasted and cheap too. I still buy from main supermarkets too but agree you could get everythig here if you chose to

There's still an Iceland in Peckham when/if the ED one closes. I've taken to buying my milk in there (?1 for 4 pints) and eggs (?1 for 6 free range eggs, which if you buy a dozen, works out at 90p cheaper than Sainsbury's), and also their frozen fish (salmon and smoked haddock, which I think work out at about ?1 to ?1.50 per fillet). Little savings here allow me to splash out elsewhere.

I have shopped a Lidl, but never found it amazingly cheap - I did a price comparison, and their milk and butter were the same price as Sainsbury's but there was less choice (particularly with regard to reduced fat butter and cheese).

If you have the room to store things that you buy in bulk, but find it tough to carry it, I think you can get free delivery slots shopping online at Sainsbury's, if you get your value items delivered at an unpopular time... worth a thought.

And yes, a regular trip up to Peckham to stock up on fruit and veg is a good idea too.

Lidl and Aldi - most of their products are from Europe that is why you do not recognise the labels, but I remember some that I used to buy in Holland in the 1990s. Lidl's stollen is the best, their tinned soup is ok but avoid the packet soups. Fruit juices and fizzy drinks are very cheap. Toothpaste, washing up liquid, cleaning stuff, yoghurts, cheese and cooked meat are cheaper than Sainsburys. I do a Lidl shop about every 3 months - tend to go to the Sydenham, beckenham or Bell Green branches as Peckham always appears 'tatty'.

• 4 months later...
Hello. Just bumping this thread because I'd like recommendations on where I can buy fresh fish on Rye Lane. I have never bought fish from any of the shops there, so if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced and fresh fish place I'd be grateful. I am thinking salmon, sea bream, sea bass, plaice. Ta.

Archived