keane Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had the same experience ar la Chandalier - went

> there with my 8 year old son - for a treat & I

> wanted to introduce him to the concept of

> afternoon tea - he was smartly dressed and well

> behaved - we wanted to sit in 2 armchairs at the

> front that were vacant but were told we were only

> allowed in the back. I won't be going back.

Chandelier is one of the few ED eateries where you can relax without a billion kids jangling the nerves with their shrieks, squeaks , yowls and bruising careenings -- while mum and dad chat happily with their flat cap wearing friends.

Just saying.

BTW my own child and those of my friends are, on the other hand, perfect in every regard . Models of decorum , civility and a certain raffish charm.

I went to Prettys* on Sunday - served up a full English at 1pm, which they didn't used to do (correct me). Lovely food. Decent meat, quality beans, half mushrooms, proper inch thick bread, real tomato sauce (which for me is the key), a good slice of black pudding, good eggs and er.... leaves on the side. I couldn't move after that brunch. Best in ED in my humble opinion. Friendly too - probably the most important thing thinking about it. Now don't tell anyone.

Sorry to start with a negative but one to avoid is Il mirto, Melbourne Grove. Had my folks down for Mothers Day from Lancashire this weekend booked a table for four by phone on Wednesday we were told by a very stroppy Manager that we had to come at 7pm rather than our request of 7.30pm as "I do two sittings you will be rushing!!!!" So we had an earlier glass of champagne for Mum and arrived for him to tell us they had mistakenly given our table away???!!! He kind of apologised but was hostile when challenged by my partner. What a fool!!!

Would it help if Le Ch. put a notice on the door saying 'no more than 2 buggies/prams at a time'?

It is perfectly okay to put such a sign up about school kids and nobody complains. Perhaps it will help them with their message when they turn people away.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sittings get up my nose. I like to eat when I

> fancy it not when they tell me. Thanks for the

> Warning.

xxxxxx

To be fair to Il Mirto and places like it, they are both relatively cheap and relatively small, and probably can't afford to have people taking up a table for hours who aren't spending very much money or they'd very soon go bust.

They've already had their fingers burned at that place they started in Nunhead (Esmerelda, was it? Something like that).