Eating out in ED

Disappointed if the admin takes notice of the owners. The Fair Comment defence is watertight. You don't even have to say "in my opinion". The burden is on the owner to prove that what you are saying is factually wrong, which is almost impossible.

If I say the French Fries at McDonald's taste like Polar Bear vomit then McDonald's have to prove that that was not the thought that was going through my head, which is impossible.

Thanks for the Camberwell tips, I didn't realise there were so many great places to eat! Palmerston is my favourite in general and for a Sunday roast. I didn't rate Dulwich Tandoori at all but it seems like there are a variety of opinions on here. The Thai cafe is BYOB which is always a bonus! My advice would be to get trying some places : )

Best pizza in London, let alone SE is at The Gowlett.

FM Mangal also gets my vote, Camberwell.

Great meatloaf (!) at Homemade..

Very good pub food at The Victoria

Best 'foodie' experiences: Gangapati and The Begging Bowl

Best burger: The Shake Shack in NYC (but apparently they are opening soon in central London!!)

GEEKASAURUS Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We ate there recently and were disappointed. So

> the owners have banned the forum mods from

> allowing it to be discussed?

xxxxxxx

I don't suppose for a minute that they can ban the forum mods from allowing it to be discussed, but it is one of several restaurants in the same position on here.

The forum owner/mods do not have the time or inclination to keep batting off complaints from restaurants, tradespeople etc that they are being unfairly criticised, and therefore err on the side of caution for fear of being sued.

You may think that the likelihood of being sued is virtually nil, as posters on here are highly unlikely to be critical without a solid reason, but as I understand it that is the position. Various people have threatened the forum with legal action as a result of posts criticising their work or whatever, and as a result those posts have been removed.

The stance of the owner/admin/mods is that they don't have time to investigate the truth of the matter, which is fair enough. They have enough to do.

ETA: See the rules at the beginning of the business section of the forum.

At the end, they say - "Do not mention L* C******, they threaten the forum with legal action if people do."

After years of trying nearly all the local places the ones we always go back to (for takeaway) are further afield for takeaway at least...

Indian/Nepalese: By far the best takeaway, are the two nearest Nepalese places. Amazing spicing and always fresh - Gurkha's Flavour in Forest Hill (or we've liked Gurkha's in Sydenham.) Indian Mischief is great if eating out.

Thai: Thai Orchard in Forest Hill for takeaway is always spot on. Thai Corner Cafe on NCR for ED.

Japanese: Edo in Crystal Palace (they'll usually deliver for a charge)

Breakfast: Homemade on Barry Road if you can get a seat. Keep meaning to try the Cafe on the Rye, but they stop breakfasts before we've made it out.

Pizza: The Gowlett - they do takeaway too. Admit we haven't tried the Actress out of loyalty!

Roast: Yet to be impressed in a pub, will have to try the tips. My house usually wins every time.

Much further afield there's a brill Vietnamese, Mien Tay, on Lavender Hill - if only they were closer. And the tasting menu at Trinity in Clapham is great for something special.

(I like it when these threads reappear - always useful and good to have current info.)

As someone else has said, we all have our own preferences and favourites. Plus places can have 'off days' or go off the boil which may deter people from visiting again and our tastes can change. Here are a few I like at the moment:

Best Sunday pub roast in East Dulwich: The Great Exhibition

Best Sunday pub roast nearby: The Bear (Camberwell)

Best Indian in East Dulwich: Indian Mischief

Best Indian nearby: Ganapati (Peckham) or babur (Honor Oak)

Best Indian take away: Hot Stuff (in Vauxhall, but will deliver to some SE15 / SE22 postcodes if not too busy)

Best other take away: Wuli Wuli (Camberwell, but deliver to SE15 / SE22)

Best breakfasts in ED: Homemade and Blue Brick Cafe (but have never tried any of the pubs for breakfast)

Best breakfasts nearby: Anderson & Co (Bellenden Road, Peckham), Cafe Viva (Peckham) and many many others

Best coffee in ED: Homemade, Franklins Farmshop

Best coffee nearby: Bambuni (Nunhead), The Dish & The Spoon (Nunhead), Anderson & Co (Bellenden Road), Cafe Viva (Peckham), Arloe & Moe (Crofton Park), Browns (Brockley)

Best cake: A tricky one, but we've had some good cake at Anderson & Co, Arloe & Moe, The Dish & The Spoon and Homemade.

Any hidden gems in ED: Il Mirto for pizza, Viet Van Man (North Cross Road Market) for banh mi, Dogfather Diner (North Cross Road Market) for pimped hot dogs (including a cracking veggie dog), Franklins (especially for their set weekday lunch menu which changes daily and is good value - a personal favourite)

Any hidden gems nearby: Too many to list, but some current favourites are The Gowlett for pizza, The Begging Bowl for Thai, The Dish & The Spoon for fantastic cafe food (and very child friendly), lots of places in Brixton Village, No 67 (South London Gallery)...the list goes on and depends on what you class as nearby!

I've probably forgotten lots...

neilson99 Wrote:

>

> Any chance admin could put a survey up here we can

> vote on?

xxxxxxx

That would be an excellent idea, then maybe Surma (I think it is) can stop trading off their "best Indian restaurant as voted for by the users of the East Dulwich Forum", which was about a zillion years ago :))

My suprise find last year is this place in Camberwell

Situated right next to a residential tower block, in what could be described as the "edgy" part of Camberwell. The food and service was great. Lots of spicey meat & vegetable dishes, served with a massive fremented sour pancake.

Good value for money too.

Zeret Kitchen Restaurant. 216 Camberwell Road, London, SE5 0ED

Babur in Honor Oak is the best indian in the area by a country mile. Babur to go is their takeaway service plus they have a fine dining Indian restaurant which is well worth visiting for a night out, less so to order from.

Indians on LL are much of a muchness. Tandoori nights probably the best. Ganapati way better than Indian mischief.

Chandelier does monmouth coffe, if i remember correctly.

best roast - the Palmerston

Dan G Wrote:

Ganapati way better than

> Indian mischief.

xxxxxxx

Ganapati way more expensive than Indian Mischief :))

Indian Mischief is vegetarian, Ganapati isn't.

Both are mostly excellent :)

Zeret kitchen is fab! Ethiopean food, and the owner is lovely, and will explain what everything is and how it should (traditionally) be eaten without making you feel stupid. Its on Walworth road, just next to a number 12 bus stop (can't remember which one, I think it's the first one after camberwell green)

jrpfinch Wrote:

> Ganapati is the best Indian.

>

> Sorry that's not very helpful but I can't think of

> anywhere exciting to eat in East Dulwich. Better

> for shopping.

I've found much the same - had good food at the Thai Corner, Palmerstone and thought the roast at The Dog in Dulwich village was good. Delicious cakes in Le Chandelier and SiMangia is tasty but ambiance is a bit too old school for my liking.

Prefer to go to Camberwell or Brixton really.

ifnobodyspeaks Wrote:

> Zeret kitchen is fab! Ethiopean food, and the

> owner is lovely, and will explain what everything

> is and how it should (traditionally) be eaten

> without making you feel stupid. Its on Walworth

> road, just next to a number 12 bus stop (can't

> remember which one, I think it's the first one

> after camberwell green)

Just searched for Zeret in Camberwell - looks very good - now on my list of places to visit!

Just referring back to jrpfinch's comments about libel and restaurants - he's quite wrong on all counts.

In UK libel law, the burden of proof is on the defendant. If sued, the defendant has to prove that either they told the truth, or that it was 'fair comment' (which means a view a reasonable person might have).

The plaintiff (the person complaining) does NOT have to prove the defendant is stating untruths.

Since saying that McDonald's fries taste like polar bear vomit is NOT a view a reasonable person might have, if jrpfinch were to say that he would lose a libel case. Simple as that.

In social media, however, there is a third argument the EDF could use: that as a carrier they do not elicit or condone the views expressed. This is the same argument that is used when somebody bitches about you on TV - you sue the individual not Sony for making the TV.

For this reason, any restaurant suing the EDF is likely to lose. However, I suspect that Admin has got better things to do then spend his day dealing with vexatious litigants.