Experience of electric bikes

malumbu

I've had a go on an electric assisted bike - it was great fun and like having a little push. Something that I may consider when my body gives up further

I've found a useful guide from Sustrans: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/get-active/2021/everyday-walking-and-cycling/where-to-start-with-electric-bikes-all-you-need-to-know/?utm_source=Sustrans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12313362_The%20Network%20April%202021&utm_content=The%20ultimate%20guide%20to%20electric%20guides&dm_i=6EB,7BX1U,A1PZC8,TQQRQ,1

Hope this is useful. Great to hear of your experience - perhaps keep the debate on sustainable transport to other threads.

Slightly off topic Mal..

I was considering just this week getting an electric scooter to get into the office on the infrequent days I will go in there as life reverts to whatever normal will be....

Although apparently, a little googling tells me that its illegal to ride them on the road and its illegal to ride them on the footpath (unless you hire one from the govt approved e-scooter schemes - similar to the Boris bikes, but none around this area of course).....so not really much use at all it seems...

perhaps worth having a look at the e-bike as you suggest....

A conundrum electric scooters - illegal to ride them on the road and pavement, only the former if hired (due to insurance and vehicle approval/licensing requirements). But they are openly on sale, few if no prosecutions and are here to stay. The twist and go e bikes are similarly illegal. We've had some threads already on e scooters.

So go and try an e-bike, one of the assisted ones please!

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've had a go on an electric assisted bike - it

> was great fun and like having a little push.

> Something that I may consider when my body gives

> up further

>

> I've found a useful guide from Sustrans:

> https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/get-active/20

> 21/everyday-walking-and-cycling/where-to-start-wit

> h-electric-bikes-all-you-need-to-know/?utm_source=

> Sustrans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12313362_Th

> e%20Network%20April%202021&utm_content=The%20ultim

> ate%20guide%20to%20electric%20guides&dm_i=6EB,7BX1

> U,A1PZC8,TQQRQ,1

>

> Hope this is useful. Great to hear of your

> experience - perhaps keep the debate on

> sustainable transport to other threads.

I work on them, they are awesome. The Swytch kit conversions are great. Rad Power Bikes are amazing. Most electric bikes seem to be very neat and perfect for those who want to cycle but don't like getting hot and sweaty with the effort.

We need more of them, and we need people to stop driving their cars, so if you're thinking of getting one, do it, and leave the car at home.

Charlie

Hi Charlie - good to hear your positive experience. Are all these bikes electrically assisted? Those that don't need pedalling are 'powered two wheelers' and are illegal on the road. It is a shame that the industry doesn't get its act together on this, or government doesn't tackle the retailers. This all contributes to bad press.

I've seen the vid on Youtube for Swytch - not ridden a front wheel drive bike to date, what's that like

For those not aware this kit makes your 'normal' bike into an ebike - and this is electrically assisted to good with me and the authorities https://www.swytchbike.com/

I have a, now fairly ancient, Kuo electric assisted bike which I love. It has a boost throttle so you can get away from the lights quickly and I use it as a constant assist (level 3 out of 5) when I'm cycling. I couldn't commute on a regular bike now - too old and decrepit - and I'm a massive fan generally of electric bikes.

However, there are some negative points - my bike is really heavy - un-rideable without the battery and electric assist. Newer electric bikes tend to be a bit lighter so that may not be a concern if you're buying new but generally they are heavier. So keeping on top of the battery charge is important.

The other point is maintenance - the company that sold my bike no longer operates in the UK, parts are impossible to come by for the electric bits and no-one really knows how to maintain or service the electric bits of the bike any more, so it's getting increasingly difficult to keep it in good working order. One of our local bike shops declined to even do a mechanical service on it this year (having previously serviced it regularly), so with hindsight I should have spent a bit more money on a known brand with a better service record, but at the time it was a real investment for me.

• 1 month later...

I have an Orbea Gain electrically assisted. It's at the other end of the assistance scale, more a gentle help, you still get exercise but it makes all the difference. Would recommend to anyone giving a bike a try, theyr'e great. Not cheap but getting cheaper.

Pure, the scooter people, have just launched a new one which I reckon they'll sell loads of - https://www.pureelectric.com/products/pure-flux-one-electric-hybrid-bike

I have an electric bike - it was adapted using a Swytch kit (see earlier posts).

The kit was very easy to fit.

lietoswim, can't understand why bike shops won't fit these for you, but it was pretty easy to do yourself.

I've found it great, only drawback is they are heavier than before, but not too hard to carry upstairs at my local station.

The front wheel drive, Malumbu hasn't been an issue at all.

Also plenty of range, have never got down below 3 levels out of 5 on the battery level indicator. But haven't cycled long distances with it, max 26 miles maybe.